DJ Wilson, Moe Wagner declare for NBA Draft without agents

Assume this means DJ is gone

Apologies for the screenshot from twitter. Not sure how to link direct from IG

If he indeed is leaving, then what a huge mistake by him if he doesnā€™t get drafted in the first round.

In addition to that, if Iā€™m a GM, I would not touch him with a first round pick. His game is way too soft.

1 Like

On a side note, Mo Bamba come on down?

2 Likes

I mean, maybe it was directed at Irvin and Walton who are in the picture and obviously leaving? Right? Hopefully?

4 Likes

Depending on what heā€™s hearing from NBA team officials, I donā€™t think itā€™s a mistake at all. I honestly donā€™t think DJā€™s draft stock will be higher than it is right now. He has a ā€œbuzzā€ around his game and yet thereā€™s not a ton of footage for the scouts to use to ā€œknock him down.ā€ If he comes back next season and only shows marginal progress then scouts will pass on him. And presuming Wagner returns & rumors of Matthews progress are correct then Wilson would again be ticketed for a supporting role in UMā€™s offense in '17-18.

Take the emotion of wanting whatā€™s best for UMā€™s 2017-18 win-loss record out of the equation. Evaluate Wilson like he was a Indiana player or a OkSt player or a Florida St player. Best chance for Wilson to get drafted in R1 or early R2 is to come out this year off the buzz from his B1G/NCAA Tournament runs.

2 Likes

I disagree. He just scratched the surface of what he can do this year. I think he would come into next year with more confidence, hopefully play with a higher motor (which often comes from confidence), and have a bigger role in the offense with Walton and Irvin gone. I could easily see him averaging 15/7/2 blocks next year, and shooting in the 37-40% range from three, which would make him a solid 15-20 pick.

3 Likes

You realize either side of the argument works here too right? He is a borderline first round pick in a loaded draft. One more year of solid play, and a little added muscle/rebounding and he could be solidly in the first round or potentially late-lottery. Not saying one take is correct, but both could be argued.

Either way, I donā€™t think anyone here believes DJ is ready to contribute in a significant way for any NBA team. If he goes out it is completely based on potential down the road.

Disagree. Vehemently

FYI, these are lyrics from a J Cole songā€¦ I donā€™t necessarily think this means anything of note.

4 Likes

Heā€™s waited this long to officially decide because heā€™s wanting to see what comes from the combine. If heā€™s waited this long and is making a decision BEFORE the combine it would only make sense if he got a first round guarantee from someone. I doubt that happened.

I agree completely. Obviously we can all look back on the draft with 20/20 hindsight and say ā€œOh, he shouldā€™ve done this or thatā€ from the comfort of our couches, but a large majority of the mocks have him solidly in the first round. Without knowing exactly what the teams tell him I think itā€™s ridiculous to say ā€œOh he 100% made the wrong decision.ā€

What mocks still have him first round? I havenā€™t seen him first round in a single mock recently since theyā€™ve been updated.

I think that mocks done before the combine, and speculation about what D.J. will do before the combine, are exercises in futility. If he plays well at the combine, heā€™s going to move up, and if heā€™s on post-combine mocks consistently as a first rounder, likely gone. If he doesnā€™t, heā€™s likely to wind up in the position Hayes, Trimble, etc. found themselves in last year after not playing wellā€“back in school. Simple as that.

2 Likes
1 Like

Uggghhh. The more I think about it and read I think DJ is a goner. I hope I am wrong it, but just feels like it is trending that way. Maybe he has a bad combine and decides to stay, but I will believe it when I see it.
Maybe if DJ goes we land Bamba but that seems like a slim to none bet.

So, assuming DJ goes and Bamba doesnā€™t come, can Mo handle the 4? Its not ideal of course, but it might be a better option than DJ or Livers, especially if Teske and/or Davis can step up and man the 5.

If DJ goes, I donā€™t see the 4 spot being best for Moe. Iā€™d go with Duncan, Livers and Charles Matthews at that spot. Iā€™d also look for some kind of a garbage man grad transfer, but thatā€™s just me not sure what would happen.

4 Likes

Seems like once we took Simmons we shouldā€™ve expected dj to leave given how weā€™ve recruited bamba and held a scholarship for him.

Heā€™s not a grad transfer, but it seems like Ed Morrow would fit the garbage man 4. I like his game. We probably couldnt play 5-out with him, unless JB works some serious magic, but he would bring the proven toughness/motor that we dont know if Livers will provide.

Donā€™t see a normal transfer as a good option (rather go after the combo forwards on U-Mā€™s radar) and donā€™t see Ed Morrow as any kind of fit for Michigan other than as an undersized 5.

1 Like
2 Likes