DJ Wilson + Mo Wagner = Damn good young front court

Underrated offensive aspect of JMo. He was our last big who could set a screen.

2 Likes

When comparing JMo with Mo, keep in mind that post players were allowed to be much more physical when JMo played, there was no arc to worry about when drawing charges, and the way charges were called favored the defensive player more than it does now. Mo and DJ did the best job against Wiscy’s inside people than I’ve seen in B1G play this season. Right now, I would definitely take a soph Mo over a soph Morgan, and I love JMo.

2 Likes

Well Morgan really fell off his sophomore year so I think there’s no doubt u take sophomore mo over sophomore Morgan. U gotta compare what Morgan did as a junior and senior year for a fair comparison. I was really happy when Morgan bounced back. He looked like a real deal steal as a freshman then really had a bad second year if I remember correctly. I thought he was finished.

Also moe had his moments against happ but there were also quite a few possessions where happ or Hayes just walked him down for an easy lay up. Also happ and Hayes grabbed a lot of o boards/ fifty fifty loose balls to keep their possessions alive. It really hurt us in that game. Helped the Badgers stick around along with the refs straight up robbing us for ten minutes.

Fair points but Morgan went up against some serious NBA talent and held his own. We agree that Mo is the choice overall though.

To be fair then, you’d have to compare a junior/senior Mo to a junior/senior JMo. Let’s see how Mo looks and plays next season after another year of strength and conditioning and experience.

1 Like

For Wagner to take the next step offensively he’s gonna have to figure out how he can get good position right on the block without the ball so we can hit him there for a simple drop step without him having to work so hard to get his post baskets.

1 Like

His footwork is so natural. If he can hold his spot and maintain balance he’s basically unstoppable. Has to strengthen his core and it’s over

2 Likes

DJ Wilson has 37 blocked shots thus far this season, which ranks him at #21 at UM for single season blocks. At his current pace of 1.48 blocks per game and a minimum of a 33 game season, he would finish with 49 this season and tie Terry Mills at #12.

3 Likes

Yeah, pretty much…

5 Likes

His reasoning was absolutely ridiculous. I was gonna call him out but didn’t feel like it was worth getting in some big argument. Now that he is gone I will comment on his “math”.

That makes Wagner a net -12 to -18 player, while J-Mo was +24 to +30. So Morgan, assuming these numbers are thought of as averages, was 36 to 48 points better than Wagner. In other words if we could just swap Morgan for Wagner this year we would be undefeated.

The truth is on Wagner’s worst night he doesn’t individually give up 30 points per game, and on Morgan’s best night he probably never individually prevented 30. It takes a real scrub to individually be responsible for giving up 30 points. Due to the team aspect of defense it’s certainly more rare than being individually responsible for 30 points on the offensive end, which is pretty damn rare.

1 Like

Moe is a very good offensive player. His rebounding and defense are improved. He still needs to prevent people from setting up do deep in the post but he just is a little to light in the ass still. He makes up for it though with great hand speed, crafty little tips and even getting his hands in on strips and blocks at times. He’s a work in progress. I think he’s a decent pick and roll defender though with solid foot speed on the perimeter. Once his strength takes the next step he will be a star.

3 Likes