College basketball corruption charges

The NCAA is trash.

Sorry ESPN, but I copied your whole tiny article. To be fair, I’ve added the link so you might get a few clicks.

NCAA president Mark Emmert, addressing the ESPN report that Arizona coach Sean Miller was recorded discussing paying $100,000 to ensure star recruit Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, said Saturday that it’s up to the school to decide whether to hold out the player or coach.

“First and foremost, that’s a decision the school has to make,” Emmert said in an interview on CBS.

Emmert noted no NCAA process has been initiated into Arizona.

Asked whether the NCAA has been in touch with Arizona, Emmert said, “We’ve been in touch with every school that has a student-athlete involved [in the FBI investigation into the sport].”

Emmert said he hopes the NCAA has a better understanding of the eligibility for current players affected by the FBI investigation by NCAA tournament Selection Sunday, which is March 11. He also wants to see changes implemented by the start of the 2018-19 season.

2 Likes

Seriously…why have rules if the NCAA cannot enforce them?

4 Likes

That’s addition by subtraction for Texas.

2 Likes

Psst! Michigan’s athletic department and historic donors have alot of money. But don’t tell anyone.

1 Like

If a wave of disgust sweeps the country just before the tourney the organization might lose a few bucks. He’s got to measure his words! Agree that you want something more forceful–angrier than that. If he were really the protector of college sports, of amateur athletics, of student athletes, he would be furious. These days they don’t even bother with the pretense.

2 Likes

The saddest part of this whole thing is the lack of leadership by the NCAA. They simply don’t want to know about any of this because it takes away money from their organization. They put very little money into actual compliance and enforcement.

3 Likes

Thanks, Dylan. I just bumped into that article, myself. This explains the circular relationship of agencies finding recruits and steering them to programs in exchange for college coaches steering star players to the agency when they turn pro.

The email recounts the interactions from Dawkins’ perspective:

“Dwayne Stephens – Trying to close the deal on Brian Bowen for Michigan State. Trying to do a trade deal for (Spartans) Gary Harris, Miles Bridges, etc”

“Chuck Martin – Trying to close the deal on Brian Bowen for Indiana. I told him if we can work together and if he can push for us to get (Hoosiers) Thomas Bryant and OG Anunoby two projected first rounders from IU this year we can work something out.”

2 Likes

Pitino, Miller, Calipari, Izzo, Self, Krzyzewski, Williams…I’d love to see these guys and/or their programs get it stuck to them.

If it looks slimy, smells slimy, sounds slimy - it’s slimy.

1 Like

A couple of points to add. Beilein already makes good money and Michigan would pay to keep him. Arizona post Miller is going to be in serious trouble with the NCAA. It won’t be a great job. They will probably hold off trying to hire a big name until that’s over.

2 Likes

Nah, he’s very happy here. Has a great thing going and his approach is greatly appreciated by the school.

Hey, let’s leave the honorable Roy Williams out of this :wink:

4 Likes

Could it be that when all is said and done it may be that most of our winningest coaches have not been on the up and up?

Active coaches with most D1 wins:

1. Coach K
  2. Boeheim
  3. Ol’ Roy
  4. Huggins
  5. Cliff Ellis (currently at Coastal Carolina)
  6. Rick Barnes
  7. Beilein

Obviously the top 3 would need hundreds of wins to be rescinded, for JB to catch them. But that’d make our coach top 3 in active coaches ‘who haven’t had wins vacated/cheated.’ That’s pretty neat. Disclaimer: idk if Barnes ever got in trouble.

MSU just did a thorough review of their program and have determined that they haven’t done anything wrong, so cross Izzo off of your list. He is apparantly clean.

4 Likes

Earlier someone noted that the MSU narrative going forward was likely to be about overcoming the odds, ignoring distractions, etc. ad nauseum. Here’s your first installment, for Arizona: “Arizona Seeks Redemption Amid Off-Court Distractions,” headline currently front-paged at ESPN. I mean, how lazy and wrong-headed is this? Don’t you redeem yourself after atoning for what you do? After taking your punishment?

I’m afraid we’ll get lots of the same with MSU.

3 Likes

Probably the same people who cleared Dr. Nassar.

2 Likes
1 Like

This could unravel fast…

Can MSU’s 2018 class get out of their LOIs?

Miller also didnt coach yesterday… pretty damning

Also, I find it interesting that Bridges is playing today. Just heard on the telecast that MSU investigated it and ruled that he was eligible… How could they possibly do any due diligence in that amount of time?!?

1 Like