College basketball corruption charges

It seems that our friends in Iowa City can breathe easy:

4 Likes
2 Likes

What does it mean when they say the allegations were untrue but then say they uncovered a violation?

1 Like

Seems like the Christian Dawkins stuff in the report wasn’t true, but they found out his family had some other dinner with an agent.

Denying the $400 “advance” and admitting a dinner, which was the other part of that report. MSU called the allegations false, but don’t say whether the dinner was with Dawkins or a different agent. That leads me to believe it was Dawkins. NCAA allows improper benefits up to $100 to be repaid to charity with no suspension. So it’s not a big deal to admit to the dinner.

By “seems like the Christian Dawkins stuff in the report wasn’t true”, you mean “Bridges’ Mom whose son’s eligibility and legacy would be gone forever if she said it is true says it is not true, despite there being no reason for it to be falsified information.”

4 Likes

I should say, the statement claims that the Dawkins stuff isn’t true.

1 Like

Dawkins stole from the agency’s clients. That spreadsheet yahoo published could be full of fake expenses.

1 Like

I guess we’ll know when the Dwayne Stephens - Christian Dawkins wiretaps get released.

2 Likes

$40 dinner for the agent and the fam = Dollar Menunaires

HA! The first thing I thought was, “Did they just have appetizers or what?”

1 Like

I thought they left before the food was ordered. Or was that a different dinner that never happened?

1 Like

Would have been nice if MSU announced the charity the meal money was paid to as part of the reinstatement. Then again, that would come closer to admitting any wrongdoing in the first place.

That was Wendell Carter’s parents.

7 Likes

Tangentially related from our very own Stu Douglas.

2 Likes

Mitch Albom: How to fix college athletics? Let them make their own money

Mitch Albom’s column is a joke. what do sports have common with school plays?

1 Like

He’s always been a little sanctimonious for my taste, and is often the last guy on the bandwagon.

2 Likes

For a sports writer, I am surprised that he is so far off on several of his observations and conclusions.