Charles Matthews getting big

I really don’t see what’s so crazy about projecting that Matthews will start next year, especially given JB’s comments on him playing a Tim/Caris role for the team.

Aubrey to the NBA and MAAR all-B1G were ridiculous. Matthews will start next year is not.

3 Likes

MAAR to the NBA is just awful. Watching him play as a junior is painful, nothing has changed from day 1. Dawkins to the NBA is because draft express put him as a second rounder, so that’s not crazy. NBA people obviously saw flashes. Again, Matthews is starting next year with no one on our team to challenge that really. You could almost make an argument for the other 4 positions but at sf, Mathews is our guy.

Pg- brooks could come in and outplay Simpson, wouldn’t be too shocked.

Sg- Poole could outplay MAAR. Not crazy to think that.

Pf- livers could outplay Wilson. Wilson could lose confidence and continue to foul too much. Maybe coach wants Duncan out there.

C- we could land bamba. Only way I see Wagner not starting.

Knowing Mathews, I’ll post the story of what I saw happen to Mathews from his junior year in high school to freshman year at Kentucky later today when I’ve got time.

1 Like

Well I’d love to see MAAR pushed to the bench by conference play. That would solve the shooter-bench dilemma. MAAR hasn’t really progressed much at all this year and might have regressed a bit. If Poole was ready to start by conference play it would be a huge boost.

We need a couple of players to be playmakers, next year, in the half court.The pool of candidates are: MAAR, X, Poole, Brooks, Mathews, Robinson. Whichever two players prove to be the most worthy playmakers will get a significant amount of playing time as playmakers. I look at this list of unknowns and I have to admit I have no idea how this is going to pan out. It is entirely possible that our best option will be MAAR. I have been very disappointed by his defense this year but I think I have seen an uptick in his assist capabilities…My understanding is that most agree that Matthews is not an assist man. Is that a correct assumption?

I kind of agree with John Miller regarding Brooks and Poole. I am intrigued by the possibilities of these two guys earning significant minutes. Brooks is an unknown to me but the Villanova offer is meaningful. If it is true that he has an elite floater then that overcomes so much and coupled with Bigs capable of alleyoops like Bamba and Wilson it can be deadly. I am very intrigued by Poole too…Anything is possible…Especially because X has not shown much promise in the half court…

In short, I wouldn’t think anybody was crazy for believing any combination of players playing 1-3 is going to earn starter minutes.

On the other hand, it seems crazy to me to write any of these players off.

Maar has had a bad year. I still think he will come through for us though when all is said and done.

I don’t think it’s crazy to assume Mathews will start or be one of the best players on the team. This year off to refine his skill combined with his freak athleticism and defense is a recipe for something good. Also his film in high school was impressive. There is no absolutes but I don’t see what’s wrong with projecting big things.

Maar had a ton of assists I believe two games ago, I didn’t count but if I’d guess it was 7 or 8. Still the way he has backed off on attacking the rim is unsettling. Once we play better teams with better athletes on the perimeter his skill set will become more valuable like last year late. If he doesn’t come through it could be bad and tough to score.

His on ball d has dipped but he had a good d game last game. Particularly closing lanes off the ball and stripping guys.

MAAR was on the bench down the stretch against Furman because he is a liability on offense (can’t consistently hit the three) and his defense has been not good. On top of that not a play maker.

Next year Poole needs to have the game we hope he has because the team will need his outside shooting and potential play making. The team potentially will have a lack of experienced consistent shooters and if Bamba does not come I would not be surprised to see Beilein look for a grad transfer for a one year stop.

1 Like

Maybe his failure to attack the rim has more to do with working on different aspects of his game. Less attacking because split focus on finding teammates. I think it is undeniable that MAAR has been better at finding teammates for quality assists this year. I think we are on the same page when it comes to MAAR–he has not reached his ceiling…He might be our best option for point guard next year.

I have been disturbed by MAAR’s poor defense…I can agree with that for sure…His shooting of more 3’s is probably by coaches design…

If you think MAAR is our best option for point guard next year then this team will be in trouble. MAAR is not crafty enough with the ball to be a consistent lead guard and mentioning him in the same sentence as point guard is a head scratcher. MAAR is a head down to the basket player and one game of multiple assist is not changing that.

2 Likes

If the choice is between X and MAAR for point guard at our next game who would you choose? MAAR’s role is relative…

MAAR has had some nice finds this year…His numbers are not impressive but he is the third option as playmaker when on the floor with Irvin and Walton.

X, and that’s without yet knowing what his level of play will be. MAAR is simply not a starting PG, either offensively or defensively, and right now, he needs to play better to be a starting anything. I’ll roll with the guy who at least plays and knows the position.

1 Like

His defense had been good that game. Also Duncan hadn’t done anything either. My point is the unit that was out there was playing horrible offense just watching zak run around and take tough shots. Maar has been a run stopper numerous times over the last two years when we’re struggling, I thought it would have been smart to put him in and see if he could create something. Just seemed like a good move to me at that point given what was happening

7 Likes

Thanks for the link. Can’t wait to see this guy in uniform for us.

1 Like

hopefully he can provide the offensive and defensive spark this team is missing this year…

Matthews’s strengths appear to be exactly what this team is lacking. He simply has to produce big time next year for this team to be much better then they are this year.

He’s s major reason why I’m so optimistic next year. Really praying we add the grad transfer program though. If we find a good one this roster could be a force

I’m just hoping that all the impressive things he’s doing in 5 on 5 practices against weak defensive teammates translates to production in real games.

He will be up to 210 by next season. Year 3 and he will be more than capable starting at the 4.

Really looking forward to seeing him in uniform, going to be an interesting team next year. I wish JB would look at the transfer market more, gives the guy a year physically but also to grasp the system. More of a chance to contribute right away, hope he looks harder at it down the line.