Charles Matthews getting big

If memory serves me right, PnR became a focal point of the offense in Burke Yr2. It was more of a peripheral set in Hardaway’s first year. Became slightly more prevelant after Burke grabbed the PG reins in his Frosh year. But with Burke and veteran JMorgan plus McGary & GR3, PnR became the base offense in the Final4 season.

Thank you! It’s approaching Aubrey Dawkins level from a year or two back.

1 Like

I don’t know what people are not seeing, starting at small forward for our team next year is mr. Matthews and that’s not even a debate worth having IMO.

Very convincing.

I’m not trying to be rude but It’s not something that needs to be debated. He’ll be our best athlete, best defender, and second leading scorer behind Wagner. Now, who’ll be starting at shooting guard s a debate worth having because MAAR has been pretty bad but Matthews is our small forward opening night.

I tend to agree, though Dylan slowing the hype train also makes sense. It just seems like Matthews will bring a lot of what we need (a lot of what we hoped MAAR would bring, but with way more athleticism). So it’s probably up to MAAR, Poole, and Duncan to grab the last starting spot, and Matthews will slide to the 2 or 3 accordingly. Though, if Matthew’s handle isn’t that great, MAAR or Poole may be starting by default, so that X isn’t our only primary handler out there.

I think Matthews will start at the three next year. Not disagreeing with that, Michigan is going to need a lot from him. But I’m curious to see how ready he is to make a big impact.

You also start to run into a problem where your shooters (Duncan, Poole) are both coming off the bench and your non-shooters (MAAR, Matthews, DJ) are all in the starting lineup.

2 Likes

Starting Duncan next year with Matthews seems like a realistic option at this point. All I know is Matthews is starting and if MAAR coninutes to have games like yesterday, beilein won’t have any other option but to start Poole/Robinson.

Also, with the way Wagner/Wilson can shoot the 3, I don’t think we need more shooting. We need guys on our team who can get others good shots. We have Irvin who does that now and that’s it. Matthews will slide into that role pretty well IMO. So whoever is the better play maker at sg will be starting next year. Duncan ha shown flashes. It MAAR constantly has his head down and we can’t have that in this offense.

1 Like

Which brings us to the question of whether Matthews can play just the three or the two as well. Could you start X, Matthews, Duncan, DJ, Wagner?

1 Like

Yes you can, no doubt. Matthews brings us those options. He’ll play more sg than Irvin has, that’s for sure. Our starters will be Simpson, Matthews, Wilson, Wagner. Whoever this summer decides to play the best and improve the most: Robinson, Poole, MAAR, Watson, will be starting at sg/sf alongside Matthews. The athletic defense our team will have next year is going to be pretty awesome to watch.

If we were gonna start X, Matthews, Duncan, Wilson, Wagner next year we would be starting Walton, Irvin, Duncan, Wilson, Wagner right now IMO.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see that starting lineup at some point this season.

Man I’d really temper any enthusiasm about Matthews being semi-anointed as any kind of a program changing addition next year.

Athleticism and production are two different animals, and the kid has essentially played hardly any meaningful minutes in two years when he eventually becomes eligible.

I’ll be very surprised if he is the immediate impact player that a lot of people are hoping he will become down the line.

2 Likes

If there’s one guy besides Wagner who’s a lock to start next season, it’s Matthews. Even Simpson is less sure a bet, given his play so far. Somebody has to be able to elevate for a shot when you need one, and Matthews is that guy on next year’s roster.

How good he’ll be at that is a wide-open question. But the 1-4 spots can’t all be non-shooters and stand-in-the-corner shooters.

1 Like

I disagree I think he comes in and is immediately our second best player behind moe. I wouldn’t be surprised if in practice he gets the better of Zak more often then not. I’d love to see him with this years team.

Personally I believe next years team will be the best since the elite eight even with shooting concerns.

As far as the maar, x, Mathews lineup not shooting well, who knows how much better they all get from deep. Coach b is no fool and knows this so I see this being the point of emphasis all summer. If you add in Wilson and Wagner who are both solid three ball guys then I think overall the lineup will shoot pretty good. Especially with improvement from everyone.
I’m not concerned about that lineup. I think it’s the best one and should be good.

I thought we saw it 2 games ago until Duncan was immediately pulled?

That was apparently a mistake filling out the lineup card.

1 Like

I agree that some expectations for Matthews probably need to be muted.

I think Matthews is the clear leader to start at the 3-spot next season. I think Matthews has a clear athleticism that makes him an intriguing prospect. I think Matthews experience at Kentucky and red-shirt year learning Beilein’s system put him more prepared to succeed next season than a freshman from High School/Prep School. And with two Alpha offensive players graduating in Ivrin & Walton and no obvious Alpha emerging on offense, I can see where Matthews has the make-up to potentially fill that void.

BUT…
Matthews has yet to prove he can take over a game at the college level. And Matthews has yet to prove he can be a consistent shooter.

SO…
Expecting him to start and bring athleticism/defense to the roster is reasonable. Expecting him to be an All-B1G First Teamer next season, is at best extremely optimistic.

1 Like

Lol, the absolutes in regards to Matthews is both amusing and typical for this place. I’d bet with some searching I’d find the Dawkins leaving early and maar is a pro posts as well.