Charles Matthews getting big

Easy to say that, but a lot will depend on how quickly he picks up the schemes. Wagner is playing some very good ball right now, as is Wilson. We won’t sit one of them for Bamba if it means a decline in production.

1 Like

What do you think about:

Simpson-Poole-Wilson-Wagner-Bamba

Brooks-MAAR-Robinson-Livers-Teske

Well, with Simpson and MAAR as a starting backcourt, Coach B will pull his hair out if his starting backcourt shoots below 30% on threes, a distinct possibility.

Yes, it is easy to say that Poole will not start with Bamba not starting. If we start a freshman, it’s going to be the blue-chip.

I’m by no means penciling him in. It’s definitely unlikely JB would start him over a senior. But i don’t think it’s unreasonable to be hopeful that he could compete for the same amount of minutes as MAAR at the 2. X, MAAR, Matthews, Wilson, Bamba. There’s one skill that lineup is missing and it happens to be one of JB’s favorites and Poole’s biggest strengths…

In 2013 it was the opposite. McGary on the bench, Stauskas and JoMo in the starting lineup. It’s a bit of a moot point now anyway because there’s obviously a long way to go in Bamba’s recruitment.

1 Like

Don’t forget the name of this thread…

I could see bamba coming off the Bench but if he’s really the third best player in 17 then I have to think he out plays Wilson for the big man spot.

There is no way Wagner is going back to the bench. Especially with his I think he’s going to close the season.

1 Like

I actually may agree with LA with Poole starting. Not that Beilein has ever done this with a vet at the position but it may make some sense.

Simpson/MAAR/Mathews gives you very little consistent outside shooting, if any.

Bring in Brooks/MAAR/Watson and Livers(who I think plays a lot)/DRob off the bench. That offers you penetration and outside shooting with a mixture of inexperience and vets.

Simpson/Brooks
Poole/MAAR
Mathews/Watson/DRob
Wilson/Livers/DRob
Wagner/Bamba(if)/Teske/Davis

Two things strike me immediately:

1. Matthews is going play next season — most likely as a starter, most likely at the 3-wing spot
  2. By the time Conference play starts in January 2018 I seriously doubt Beilein will have a 10-man rotation. Coach Beilein tends to go with 7-8 man rotations more season’s than not — with perhaps another player or two for extreme foul trouble emergencies (for the record, I do not view Teske as a rotation player this season, even though he will likely see foul trouble or mop-up action in more than 1/2 the conference season)
1 Like

Yes Matthews is locked in at the 3 if we don’t get Bamba. If we get Bamba, things get interesting with the starting lineup.

I certainly don’t expect a 10 man rotation. I was just listing the backups at each position.

Matthews seems to have difference-making athleticism. With a year working on strength and with JB & co on the fundamentals, I’m excited to see what he can do. I think we’ll be impressed and he’ll be a plus player immediately.

I also think Poole is going to be very good and play significant minutes, in not start, early. Tim started over Stu, though the latter played lots of minutes. Nik started over Matt Vogrich by game 6. MAAR has shown flashes but has got the lowest points per possession of anyone on the team getting significant minutes outside Xavier Simpson and is shooting 31% from 3, all while showing “sticky hands,” although he’s gotten better the last couple of games. And he’ll likely be the third best offensive option, at best, after Wagner and Matthews, where Poole would provide better balance. In sum, I think that at least by the end of next year our best lineup will include Wagner, Wilson, Matthews, and Poole (and one more of course). If Bamba signs up, obviously that changes things a bit.

I am curious what others think. With Poole, I see a player who might be very capable of initiating the offense like Stauskas. Is that what others see? He appears to be deadly off the bounce. I can visualize him hitting threes behind a high screen. He looks like a playmaker…Do his stats support my opinion from just watching videos?

Sorry, I miscategorized my comment/question. I am trying to figure out how all the pieces are going to fit.

I think Poole will be great initiating the pick and roll. Good handles, can shoot off the dribble, can see the roll man, good/willing passer, etc. He of course may not be as good as Nik, who was B1G player of the year and a lottery pick, but I do think he can fulfill that role.

The Charles Matthews and Jordan Poole hype trains have officially left the building.

Matthews is going to be a key to next season. He’s an elite athlete on a team that lacks one (DJ trending in that direction). He also made only 23 shots in his lone season of college basketball. He’ll be better, Beilein is a great offensive teacher, but I’m not sure we can say how much better quite yet.

Poole… Great shooter with significant range. Has been getting much better opportunities at La Lu and his percentages have greatly increased. That’s the good news. But I also think that the Jordan Poole playmaker/PNR wing is a bit ahead of itself. Poole is a very flashy passer that has good vision and can make some great plays, but I’m not sure that his handle is quite what it needs to be to play that sort of role as a freshman. Down the line? For sure.

2 Likes

You think Poole’s handle won’t be as good as Tim’s was his freshman year? Again, it’s not that Poole will be as good as Nik, certainly not his freshman year, but down the road especially he will be good in the PnR. And is it really so crazy to think that by the end of his freshman year Poole will be a better option than MAAR? I can see the arguments against, but I don’t think it’s so crazy.

Similarly, what are people saying about Matthews that is so outlandish? I said he would be a “plus player,” others that he is “very athletic” and “most likely as a starter.” I can see other views, but is this crazy talk?

My comment wasn’t directed at your post specifically… more the direction of this whole thread.

I do think that Matthews starts next year, but I’m still curious to see how he fits.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t see the thread as that full of hype, but maybe. Anyway, the fit with Matthews should be interesting. At least we know he’ll be strong. Between him, Wilson, and Wagner (not to mention Teske, maybe Donnal, Davis, and Livers), that’s a lot of length and size to work with up front.

THJ was just a spot up shooter his freshman year.

Hmm, I wouldn’t describe Tim’s first year as being solely or even primarily a spot up shooter. I remember them loving to run Tim around screens and get him the ball up top where he would have shoot/pass/drive options. I think they ran some PnRs for him too, but maybe I’m conflating years. Darius was obviously the main ballhandler but Tim averaged 2 assists per game, as much as Stu, nearly as much as MAAR this year for instance.

Anyway, I think Poole’s handles will be good enough to initiate some offense his freshman year, including PnRs, although I’d guess his role ratchets up as the years go on.