Chances of D. Robinson starting at the 3 next year?

Yeah absolutely agree on him coming off the bench. He’s flourishing in this role and I really believe even if Matthews struggled, you keep starting him. You need that spark off the bench and Duncan has really been able to provide that.

I just think you have to find a way to get your best 5 guys on the court in crunch time, so if X fouls out or is hurt, I don’t know if I want Brooks/Poole out there. I would gladly LOVE to see Brooks come in and take reins on the backup PG spot though. (Or Poole in limited minutes)

It’s true, the minute distribution is going to be interesting and there could be some fierce competition. Obviously Brooks is going to see a massive upgrade in competition, but he seems like a guy who could come in and handle a few minutes a game with some shooting and steady passing at the least. As for X fouling out, we’ve become a little less foul averse but I doubt that will come up all that much. If so, I’m still not sure MAAR at the point will be the answer. Maybe for a set play or something, but, while he’s been playing great lately, I haven’t seen a ton to indicate he’s a PG.

1 Like

I just hope we adjust our style a tad and take less threes next year. More fast breaking and post ups are in order.

I’m not giving up on Ibi playing either. I think Ibi will be much more effective on next years version of the team. He looks like a guy who could do well in transition and on fast breaks. He has a few open floor baskets this year. I think he will finish well running next to Xavier and Mathews.

Statistically aren’t 3s a much more valuable shot (points per attempt) than post ups?

2 Likes

I think going this route will also be largely dependent on how well Matthews plays with the ball in his hands. If he flourishes in that role, you can throw MAAR out there as the PG.

Otherwise, if Brooks comes in with X out, we’re keeping Robinson, Matthews or DJ on the bench in crunch time. I may run MAAR out there with his limitations so we get the five best guys on the floor. Either way, it’s a GOOD problem to have! If Brooks can be that guy with X out, that’s only a nice positive.

I do not see MAAR being used as the point under any circumstance other than an emergency. JB better have Brooks ready to contribute because if we have to depend on MAAR to be the point on any type of regular basis the team will be pressed often. MAAR is not crafty enough with the ball to a regular point.

1 Like

I feel like the whole “MAAR’s not able to play point” argument is overblown in this offense, unless we’re strictly talking about bringing the ball up against a press. Once we’re in our half-court sets, I don’t think it will matter as much as the ball will likely change hands. Now if we’re saying he’s not a good PNR option, or if we’re saying he’s not a good late shot clock option, then I’m ok with that argument being made…but that problem/uncertainty will exist no matter what position MAAR is playing next year.

I’m talking press-break ability and ability to get the team into the correct set/run the correct play for the defense presented.

If MAAR-Matthews-Robinson are your 1-2-3 spots, expect to see a heavy dose of opposition press – or at least a 1/2 court trap – defense.

The initial projection in the thread was a MAAR-Matthews-Robinson-Wilson-Wagner lineup … that’s what’s drawn the heavy MAAR isn’t a good enough ball handler to get the team into its half court sets with supporting cast.

MAAR at PG with LeVert-Irvin-Robinson-Center is a different situation because of LeVert’s “plus” skills and Irvin’s ability to be a strong support option on press break.

It will depend on the matchups, of course, but there will certainly be games next year with significant amounts of Wilson and Wagner running the P&R. In those situations, the PG won’t need to do much besides get the ball up the court and then spot up for 3. Rakh has the skills to do that.

Will there be any pressing teams in the B1G next year? Minnesota might have the personnel, and of course Pitino can always ask his dad to strip away any hidden mysteries of the system.

Very fair. I should have clarified that I don’t expect D-Rob to start, and I’m not advocating MAAR to be the starting PG. I do think he may be our backup PG in certain lineups when X is on the bench, and I’m just not too concerned if he has to play that role for 5-10 minutes a game.

1 Like

If your three point snipers are better than your post men.

If your team is built to make them. Next years rosters strengths lie elsewhere. Also it’s a belein team, they will shoot their share of threes. I just think with the 2018 roster more balance and looks at the rim/in the paint will do us good and lead to more points and better offense

Ha didn’t see that till I posted