Big upset in Maui

I have been talking about efficiency a lot tonight with a few of my coaching friends. A couple comments that stick out: “I have eyes, I don’t need analytics” and “Analytics are for journalists, not coaches”.

I’m sure there are coaches that use it more than others. It’s useful. It does not tell the whole story though. It paints a broad picture IMO, where a coach is looking at a variety of variables that don’t fit a chart.

Also, a few of those turnovers are passes that went right through Doyle’s hands.

Doyle gets charged with the TO in those cases.

There are still MLB coaches that don’t know what sabermetrics are but that doesn’t mean that stats like BABIP and xFIP aren’t incredibly useful.

The fact is that Abdur-Rahkman is shooting 33% from the field and is averaged 3.8 turnovers per 40 minutes. Those are terrible numbers, especially when you consider his usage, and need to be improved upon. If you can’t even concede that, then you aren’t worth taking serious.

1 Like

I’m sure Dylan could, but if this thread is any indication then there will still be people making excuses for MAAR regardless of what that research would show.

It is really mind-boggling how intent this guy is on MAAR being free of all criticism.

I suggest moving your energy to someone else then. No hard feelings.

Please never suggest LeVert give up his minutes to anyone else ever again. Thanks in advance.

… because JB read this forum and that’s why he benched LeVert for the final 8 minutes of the first half. I mean, in fairness, your beef should be with JB for his 2-foul rule. It was a frustrating loss but has nothing to do with anybody expressing their opinion on here. Like any loss, has everything to do with execution/coaching/development/recruiting.

I would say that coaches are not taking advantage of very useful information. I want a coach that utilizes statistics. “i have eyes” is a silly attitude for a coach to have IMO. We have biases. Stats and analytics are useful in breaking down those biases.

Are they everything? Of course not. Coaches have to look at alot of things. How lineups mesh, team chemistry, work ethic, intangibles, etc etc. But if a coach is not taking analytics into account at all, I think they are realy missing out and not reaching their full potential as a coach.

2 Likes

I didn’t say that anything said here had anything to do with the loss, but nice spin attempt.

What I’m saying is that anyone suggesting LeVert should give up some minutes to [insert man crush player here] is a fool. LeVert needs to be on the court as much as possible.

For sure. Also, those coaches might not look at the “efficiency stat”, but they sure as heck consider the more basic stats that determine a players efficiency.

But, in practice, who is affecting LeVert’s real-life PT? Some random poster on UM Hoops or John Beilein? Beilein benched LeVert for 8 critical minutes last night (actually, I think he only played about 27 total). Even if you disagree with someone’s “man crush” on MAAR or whatever, you have to admit that the only person actually hurting the team by reducing LeVert’s PT is the coach himself. I think your angst is misdirected.

Anyway, LeVert could put up Wilt Chamberlain numbers and we would still lose, because the team assembled around him is not very good right now and nobody can either rebound or defend, and the development is simply not there.

I’m allowed to be upset with Beilein for benching LeVert and allowed to call out foolish forum opinions at the same time. They aren’t mutually exclusive.

Foolish opinions on a forum aren’t free of criticism simply because the poster doesn’t make gameday decisions. That is a pretty stupid implication.

Funny but I don’t see where you called out John Beilein.

If John Beilein posted here, I’d be quick to let him know that playing LeVert under 30 minutes is foolish.

Meanwhile, I’ll criticize the foolish statement made on this forum about cutting back some of LeVert’s playing time.

Who advocated to cut back Levert’s minutes?

Somebody in a different thread.

Again I will ask why you gladly excuse Chatman’s horrible efficiency but not MAAR’s?

Seems like both of those guys are kind of in the same boat. Struggling to make shots and play consistently offensively, but could be critical to the rotation going forward beyond this year.

MAAR has a really good chance here with Spike limited, but he didn’t really play well at Atlantis in my opinion.

I don’t. The big difference is that no one is here insisting that Chatman needs more minutes while refusing to acknowledge his weaknesses.