Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

Great stuff mgl.

Regarding Draymond. I enjoyed watching Draymond play at MSU. Great player, but how brainwashed is Draymond by Izzo? He spent 4 years with Izzo and was only a second round pick. He spent 4 years with NBA coaches and becomes a top 10 player in the world. Yet he still thinks Izzo is the greatest?

3 Likes

There is a pretty obvious discrepancy between how far Beilein progresses guyā€™s games in comparison to Izzo. And Beilein does it in the name of something closely resembling where the NBA is/is moving.

5 Likes

SUCH a good job of stopping the ball in transition yesterday.

We begged for it from the stands and our guys DID it. They did a great job with that.

I got myself to the BTT but you guys should totally help me get seats close to the action at the NCAAs! Believe me, Ken Pom canā€™t Ken Pom for the noise I bring from the stands!

Go Fund @therealmirman to get me to the tournament site!!!

:rofl:

6 Likes

When he wanted to be unstoppable, he was unstoppable. I quietly think he got financial guarantees from Draymond to stay, but now dude NEEDS TO GO.

ā€œIt is likely he was fooled/manipulated intoā€ staying. I absolutely agree. I believe Izzo works very hard to convince his players to stay, even when itā€™s economically advantageous for them to go. I believe Coach B works very hard to help his players weigh all options and make the best choice, for them.

5 Likes

Maybe the best evidence of this is comparing Tum Tum and Zavier. Out of high school both are top 100 tiny slashing/defensive guards with zero jumpshot. Zavier was ranked a bit higher, but heā€™s turned into one of the best points in the B10 as a sophomore and Tum Tum is basically a net negative as a senior.

4 Likes

He was a clear cut top 10 pick (before workouts/combine obviously) last year. Now itā€™s a split between top 10 and top 15. So he cost himself an entire year of earning a few million dollars. Plus, the higher you get picked, the more committed your franchise is going to be to you. So you buy yourself a little more time the higher you are drafted. Easier to trade or cut the 15th pick than it is a top 10.

He got a regular season title, so maybe it was worth it for him to stay in his opinion, which is what really matters. But it would be silly for Jackson to come back unless he wants another go at a national title (assuming they donā€™t win this year).

2 Likes

Iā€™ve seen tons of mocks where he ends up at 8 or 9, right where he wouldā€™ve been. He could have scored 25 PPG and he wouldnā€™t go higher than that because thereā€™s 6-7 awesome players in the draft this year.

But agreed that if JJJ stays then someone needs to check if Izzo is blackmailing.

1 Like

Also apparently Bridges made a comment about not wanting to end his career 1-3 against Michigan so MSU fans are going crazy thinking heā€™s staying again. Which would be unbelievably dumb by him.

2 Likes

Before Bridges makes a decision, I think Bridges would be wise to watch film of Iggy, Johns, DeJulius and then do the math. One win and three losses is better than one win and five or six losses. Someone send that young man some highlight videos, so he can put this chapter behind him. It is only going to get worse from here.

4 Likes

At that point, someone who loves him would need to take him aside. Or there needs to be an investigation of the financial guarantees heā€™s getting.

2 Likes

Must imagine that he and his handlers are chafing after yesterday.

1 Like

Just watched the BTN in 60 of the PU game. I felt this way before and I feel this way even more now. We owe Rutgers a tip of the cap. PU didnā€™t look fatigued at all, in say, the 2nd half against PSU, but 3 games in 3 days showed up a little on them yesterday (along with our outstanding in your shirt defense). I wonder if it didnā€™t ultimately hurt PU that Rutgers took them to the wire in an end to end balls to the wall full of awesomeness battle on Friday. Edwards, in particular, seemed a little off after having been forced to play superhero. Further, imagine if Rutgers had just rolled over and PU had faced a fetal position Rutgers and completely gassed PSU on their way to us. Their advantage would have been enormous. Instead, Rutgers gave them everything they could handle and almost then some. Thank you, Rutgers.

3 Likes

Simpson strutting after his assist on Teskeā€™s slam in the second half was pretty epic lol. Someone needs to make a gif of that.

2 Likes

big mood, part two pic.twitter.com/Z0Xv4uCIra

ā€” Ace Anbender (@AceAnbender) March 5, 2018
3 Likes

Those are amazing. Iā€™m so happy that the Zavier GIF exists.

1 Like

Did anyone else notice the difference when Izzo spoke to the press about what they would do during the time off before the start of the NCAA Tournament and what Coach B said. Wow! Coach Izzo: ā€œYeah, ahhh, we got a lotta time off.ā€ With that little rasp, woe is me sound in his voice. ā€œI donā€™t know, ahhh, what weā€™re gonna do. The good thing is, ahhh, weā€™re on spring break. Maybe weā€™ll go to, ahhh, Detroit and catch a Pistonā€™s game as a team, or go to Chicago and see Zell(?) play. Ahhh, maybe weā€™ll go lay on the beach in East Lansing. Yeah, ahhh, I donā€™t know what weā€™re gonna do.ā€ I mean WHAT THE HECK! The BEACH in East Lansing? There isnā€™t even a lake in East Lansing! Maybe he meant lay out along the banks of the Red Cedar. Then Coach B: ā€œWeā€™re gonna get better!ā€ Weā€™re gonna work hard. We wonā€™t practice everyday, maybe two days then a day off, some minicamps, work on free throw shooting. Weā€™re gonna get better!" Night AND day! One guy babbling, seemingly without a clue. The other guy has a plan. Iā€™m glad our guy is the one with the plan. Iā€™m glad Coach B is our guy!

4 Likes

Assuming he means Denzel Valentine.

2 Likes