Big Ten Tournament Discussion Thread

ahh yep. My bad. Total brain fart.

In that case I also hope Yaklich is around for a while. Maybe he can help Patrick Beilein when he takes over… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Been a fanboy since DAY ONE.

I was so thrilled we finally had a coach’s coach when we hired him. We’ve had guys who were flat out worth points to the opposition because they were so outmatched by the other sideline.

John Beilein is the absolute opposite. He can match wits and strategies with anyone.

@kturnup, I totally dream of Patrick taking over when Coach B is ready to retire.

5 Likes

He had just been promoted to head coach, before JB poached him, I think?

Edit: he was promoted to ‘associate’ head coach. and I dont know what that means

“Associate” head coach basically just means you’re an assistant that got a pay raise.

3 Likes

Yeah it looks like the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree. Patrick quickly made Lemoyne a legit D2 program again. He’ll need more experience though. If he can get to a mid-major in 5 or 6 years and is successful then it’s possible.

2 Likes

He sure made a serious contribution today. Great defense and a couple fantastic boards.

2 Likes

Honestly, though, when we run the offense, it’s pretty 4 on 5 when he’s out there. Guys don’t look to pass to him, when he took the 3, which was a good open shot, it felt like it would be a miracle if it went in. He played with great effort and really competed which was greatly appreciated. I was under the basket where he grabbed those boards - gave 100% of what he had when he was out there, but we just can’t really run our 5 out effectively when he’s in.

2 Likes

@umhoops any way we could get Simpson’s numbers at the rim this year compared to Walton’s last year?

3 Likes

Speaking of numbers, Duncan’s pulled his season 3PT% up to 40.0% with this hot stretch.

2 Likes

I think that’s very acceptable for a 10th player foul trouble type wing.

2 Likes

Might be pretty comparable, is that what you’re thinking? Wouldn’t be surprised.

I wrote about X’s finishing in here.

Didn’t directly compare it to Walton though, I’d have to look that up.

It was certainly everything I felt I could hope for from him. We didn’t thrive while he was in there, but we did survive.

And that’s what we needed to do during those stretches.

https://umhoops.com/2018/03/02/photo-gallery-michigan-77-nebraska-58/

I’ve gotten A LOT wrong this year - a lot. One thing I finally got right was Michigan beating Nebraska by double digits if they played a second time.

That team talked WAY WAY too much trash for a NIT team playing at home. You could tell right from the start Michigan was motivated by all their s#%* talk. Easy for me to say this as a fan. It was just so awesome to see in their play. Players were awesome today getting their revenge.

I like Miles a lot but that group of players deserves to play in the NIT. Most trash talk I’ve seen for a group who’s accomplished nothing of note. For some reason, that game bugged the heck out of me when i watched it.

5 Likes

It’s funny, I’d blocked the trash talk out.

An “NIT! NIT! NIT!” chant went up near the end of the game and I wasn’t really feeling it. Now that you point that out, though… they really did talk a lot of crap in the midst of enjoying one hell of a scheduling gift. I can tell you there was just about no talking at all today. Quiet as church mice.

2 Likes

Ignore if you wrote earlier, but how was the Michigan turnout?

Who knew Nebraska fans were this insufferable? They have some crazy fans that came out of nowhere this year!

Their bench celebrating got ridiculous as well. All in all, just from a fan perspective, good riddance to that team. Annoying as hell this year.

2 Likes