Big Ten Discussion

No doubt that reasonable minds can disagree, I was just saying that I dont think the Michigan fanbase is the only collective that would strongly disagree with that pre-season ranking, because so many subscribe to advanced analytics.

But, to further your point, I have no idea what our attempts to compensate for the loss of Walton and Irvin (especially Walton, though) will look like. We have a lot of returning talent, but it’s coming in different shapes and forms than what JB usually uses to sculpt his offenses.

MIchigan finishes 17 in the last coaches poll. PU at 15, Wiscy at 16, nobody else from the B1G.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Same three teams finished 19-21 in kenpom (PU-Mich-Wiscy). Then there was a clump from 37 to 46 (Minny, Northwestern, MSU, IU!, MD).

Thought it was funny how closely bunched the top 3 teams were in multiple ranking systems given our discussion…

Swanigan declared for the draft but won’t hire an agent, so testing the waters…

John Groce hired at Akron.

Back in maction!

1 Like

Tilmon leaving Illinois as well. Big blow for Illinois and huge loss for Underwood. Illinois is probably looking at a bottom four B1G team next year.

1 Like
1 Like

Not one is happier about this news than I am. Living in the town where all I see and hear is we will win junk, I was pretty happy with this news lol.

1 Like

Did we ever recruit tilmon?

Id like to know would we recruit tilmon now?

Early indications are that he’s likely going to Mizzou. I haven’t been terribly impressed with Martin’s coaching ability, but he is pretty good at acquiring talent.

As though Mizzou/Illinois needs more reasons to dislike each other, Martin allegedly made a trip during the school day to East St. Louis HS after being hired by Missouri… it’s said Martin has a sister employed as a teacher there but the rumors are he wanted to send a message to Tillmon…Tillmon asking out of his LOI to Illinois so soon after that visit is not sitting well w/Illini fans…

https://twitter.com/prepbullseye/status/849680230751105024
Roy Schmidt‏ @prepbullseye 3h3 hours ago
More
Anyone truly believe Cuonzo Martin was “just visiting his sister” at ESL now?

https://twitter.com/prepbullseye/status/849678773192732674
Roy Schmidt‏
@prepbullseye

Following
More
What Tilmon is doing is WORSE than what Cliff Alexander ever pulled with Illinois. Who the hell got to him?

https://twitter.com/prepbullseye/status/849677475265351681
Roy Schmidt‏
@prepbullseye

Following
More
WTF is going on with Jeremiah Tilmon NOW? This bullshit never ends. Time to call the NCAA–SERIOUSLY!!

Wow. Didn’t Tilmon just re-affirm his commitment to U of I on Monday?

Funny they mention the Cliff Alexander saga. He trolled U of I by picking up an Illinois hat at his commitment event, before putting it back down to grab the KU hat.

2 Likes

Wait, next are you going to tell me SEC Athletic Departments don’t follow NCAA regulations to a “T”???

Cuonzo has certainly showed an aptitude for playing in the deep grey areas of college recruiting the past 3years

2 Likes

Dude just looks shady.

1 Like

You mean they don’t? :wink:

NCAA officials just hope the SEC doesn’t dismiss them!

1 Like

Big ten is gonna be a nightmare this year. If swanigan and bridges stay or one of them even more so. Say their out though I see a bunch of top 25 type teams and some final 4 contenders.

Purdue, Michigan, Michigan st, northwestern, minny m, Indiana all could win the division. Id add in Maryland too. Iowa is goOd, penn st finally gaining ground, Ohio st? Not sure about then I’d have to check their roster. Wisconsin with happ still dangerous. That’s the best and deepest conference. I see 11 tourney level teams. Really hope we’re ready .

The Big Ten might have a bunch of teams in the 5 - 11 seed range, but I’m not seeing any great teams (unless maybe Purdue and MSU if Swanigan and Bridges come back and MSU picks up McCoy).

With so many players still needing to make NBA decisions it’s hard to predict, but I think the ACC for sure will be a better conference than the Big Ten, both in terms of final four contenders and depth. One could maybe make the argument that there are fewer easy games in the Big Ten, but I think there are also fewer games that (in looking ahead) are likely losses.

1 Like

The great thing about next year, in the Big Ten and all NCAA, is it’s going to be wide open again. There doesn’t seem to be a dominant team taking shape.

1 Like