Big Ten Discussion

Depends who shows up. The team that showed up for smu can beat anyone in the country

3 Likes

Purdue not looking great early against asu. Lotta sloppy play and Purdue relying more on the outside game right now. Oleka(sp?) for asu had an amazing alley oop dunk in transition. Asu has some athletes.

Purdue raining threes from all over. Scary team the way they can shoot combined with the bigs they have. Asu may be the worst offensive team I have seen this year. No idea what they are trying to do on offense. Every shot seems to be a one on one prayer.

…crazier like in 2008 when we beat #4 UCLA!? Yes! Starting backcourts were David Merritt/Stu Douglass vs Darren Collison/Jrue Holiday. LOL!

Zach Gibson, Anthony Wright, CJ Lee, Novak, Grady…gosh, that was one of my favorite seasons. Not long after we avenged our loss to Duke when they were #4. Then later pushed #1 UConn (we won the 1st half) who had Kemba Walker coming off the bench! Then it took Blake freaking Griffin to knock us out of the tournament. Man Peedi and Manny were quite the Batman/Robin for us.

Anyway…yeah…beat UCLA. Again!

This crowd is pathetic…

It was kind of nice to see OSU drop one at home to FAU

1 Like

Are OSU fans starting to turn on Matta at all? Their program seems to have taken a step back the last few years. I believe they had a 4 yr stretch where they won the Big 10 3 times, made the Final 4 once and the Elite 8 once. The last 3 years they have become a middle of the pack Big Ten team with no tournament success. Kind of feels similar to us actually after our great 3 year run.

I don’t think OSU fans know they have a basketball team.

Probably right on that one. Could probably say the same about Michigan fans too though. I think we’ve got some true diehards but the majority doesn’t really care about basketball all that much unless the team is really good.

1 Like

I think this is kind of a toss up year for OSU. They have to replace the 4 transfers and Lyle and Loving haven’t stepped up like I thought they would, which I think is really hurting them early in the year.

1 Like

Of course Iowa is going to start getting it together now. Smacked Iowa State at home last night by 14.

1 Like

Notre Dame is lighting Purdue up right now. 50 in the first half

ND 's offense is nothing but constant motion; fun to watch

1 Like

FINALLY! Michigan State lost to Northeastern tonight.

It’s been frustrating waiting for MSU to lose one of these. FGCU by 1 point. Tight games with St Johns and Wichita. Oral Roberts by 4 points. Tennessee Tech by 8 points. Gosh I wish they would’ve lost more of these but I’m glad to see them with a 7-5 record, 1 bad loss, some bad showings, and no good wins.

3 Likes

MSU with a projected 16-15 record by KenPom right now.

1 Like

Okay obviously MSU had a great recruiting class this past year, but look at the years before this. The non freshmen on this team?

So before the 2016 class they had two top 100 players in three years. In comparison, Michigan had 4 plus Mo Wagner, who obviously was at a ranking disadvantage. One of those two MSU guys is gone in the NBA now, the other is scoring 7 points on 36% from the field and doing nothing else. I’m glad Beilein hasn’t recruited like Izzo as some Michigan fans have clamored for. We’ll see what happens after this year but if Bridges goes pro then they’re probably in for another ugly year next season. Now like I said, obviously Izzo had a great class this year, but anyone who says we need to recruit like MSU isn’t looking at how they’ve actually done there recently.

I remember that people were terrified about the future of MSU basketball when they signed those horrible 2013 and 2014 classes back to back. Then they fluked their way to a final four and Denzel became maybe the best player in college basketball. And so, everyone forgot about how bad those classes were. Caught up to them.

I’m not willing to project how they will be next year. Even with Bridges gone, I could see them improving a lot (the seniors aren’t providing too much for MSU).

1 Like

Is MSU the favorite to land Bowen? He looked pretty awesome in the game that was on TV earlier this week. Enjoyed watching Poole but you could see Bowen is a big time talent. Jackson looks good too although based on summer reports, I was worried he might be a monster talent too. He’s definitely a nice prospect but he didn’t look like a fluid athlete. Skilled but seemed a bit rigid and stiff in his movements.

Wagner is going to abuse that MSU front court.

I will be very disappointed if we don’t finish with 11-12 B1G wins this conference season.

There is no reason to think we can’t beat all the so called upper tier teams at home and make hay against a very mediocre/subpar rest of the league.

It will be interesting to see if our veterans play like veterans when it comes to winning time in the conference.