Big Ten Discussion

I genuinely think he and Groce are the 2 worst B1G coaches (it’s hard to judge Pikiell because Rutgers is Rutgers) and they’re probably the 2 most likely to win, if Illinois goes dancing. It really seems like Pitino doesn’t know how to draw up a play. Crazy.

I think Pitino has done a good job after a perceived cratering. Last year they brought in Murphy/McBrayer. Lynch had to sit out the year. This year he brought in Coffey/Curry/Springs and all are contributing. To go along with Mason maybe Pitino is actually pretty good at procuring talent. Tough to say what happens moving forward but they can return 6 of their top 7 players next year if he continues to recruit like he has the past couple years Minnesota might be winning more than they lose.

1 Like

I don’t think he’ll stick around long. More of a strike while the iron is hot kind of guy.

1 Like

You think Pitino will leave after this year? He did seem to be on a downward trajectory (and had the off the court issues) but really turned it around, and they do bring back everybody but Springs. It does seem like there will be a lot of openings. I wonder what kind of job he could land, although it might depend on whether they can make noise in the tourney.

how is it not collins?

On what grounds? Took an 8-10 team to 10-8? Beat 2 NCAA tourney teams in Big Ten play? Draws up great full court inbound plays? I’ll give you the last one.

3 Likes

Maybe. But I wouldnt reward a shitty coaching job from last year because he got his team to play at its level. Minnesota has more talent than NW.

1 Like

…took Northwestern to their first NCAA tourney ever!!! 78 years and they’re finally dancing. The only thing more exciting in Chicago are the Cubs!!! Come on Dylan!

3 Likes

Pitino. :rage:
Another reason to be upset about us losing to them.

If Collins wins, right or wrong, it will be more about the significance of NW’s season as opposed to what has changed from last year to this year.

1 Like

When was the last time a B1G coach of the year LOST 5 consecutive conference games?

That couldn’t possibly have ever happened, right?

Miles lost 4 in a row in 2014, but I’m not sure beyond that.

Not an inspiring effort by Nebraska tonight…

Did we have any seeding contingencies hedging on that game? It’s so hard to keep track…

They looked like a team ready for the conference season to end.

Iowa -Wisconsin is the important one. Nebraska just notable because of the trip to Lincoln this weekend.

Re: big ten coach of the year. Gotta be pitino or painter which is crazy to say bc I don’t think either is particularly good. painter got his team the league title they were at least co-favorites for but still a big accomplishment. Minnesota has been far more succesful than I thought they would be. Still pretty amazed at what they have done bc I just don’t see very much talent on that team besides just being athletic. Guess I give a slight edge to pitino for exceeding my own expectations whereas painter merely met them. Still Minnesota might be one of my preferred upset picks if their seed rises enough. Could very easily see a hot shooting mid major blow them out.

As for Michigan, good thing they got that Purdue win to go with the smu win, bc beating Wisconsin is meaningless at this point.

Three straight Ls by at least 15 for Nebraska. If you had to play a road game anywhere in the B1G right now—Rutgers included—Lincoln would be the place.

Fascinating stat earlier about top-3 seeds winning the last 15 B1G tournaments. This sure seems to be the year for that to end. Eight teams look capable of doing it right now—and Wisconsin isn’t one!

Posing this question because I finally saw some of the “bubble” teams being thrown around in different circles: Is there any chance Iowa sneaks into the tournament?
Sitting at 17-13 and 9-8, with a winnable game against Purdue before the BTT. Not to mention last two have been road wins over MD and Wisconsin. They do have a bad loss to Nebraska-Omaha, but otherwise…

So with the soft bubble this year, they have to at least be in the discussion if they get to 19 wins right?