Big Ten Discussion

It hurt so bad because it was true. Dakich gets in a lot of crap on twitter with a bunch of fanbases, there’s a reason why this is the only one that blew up. It cut a bit too deep and hit some insecurities for Sparties.

3 Likes

Getting to that 6 or 5 seed is essential. We’d be in great shape. It’s very realistic too. Keep up the energy/ playing for our life intensity and the current shot distribution and we go 4-2 at worst imo. 5-1 possibly.

2 Likes

Scottie Lindsey available today for Northwestern

I went to a party a while back with a Wayne State law school guy who had classmates from both places. He said UM grads were inveterate 3-color pen clicking, competitive types while the MSU guys were smoking weed all the time. From personal experience I can confirm the latter. Whatever the case may be they all ended up at Wayne State together, god bless them.

So I felt great about the Minnesota game until I read the preview. They are a great 3 point defense and they don’t turn over the ball. Those are the things we are most dependent on.

Illinois with a win at Iowa. Seems like a “who cares” game but that was big for Michigan as far as standings go.

Definitely have an inside track to 7th or higher now. Iowa only had two road games left going into today and obviously had the tiebreaker.

Purdue is such a weird team. All they have are post up bigs and three point snipers. No guards who really run much offense.

2 Likes

I predict they win the Big Ten and then lose in the second round of the NCAA Tourney.

3 Likes

Whenever I’ve seen them struggle it seems like it’s Haas getting exposed at the defensive end with a quicker guy. Gives me hope for Mo in that matchup

How nice would it be to have a healthy Spike Albrecht right now?

Turned on a tied MSU vs Purdue game in the middle of the first half.

Spike checked in, hit a three on a kick-out. Made a steal. Found a teammate for an easy three. Directed a teammate on D which led to a turnover. Pushed the ball up court with a pass on the break, which led to a teammate getting an assisted three. “Harried” a couple MSU post players on D which led to a rushed shot, and another turnover. Assisted on a Caleb bucket down low. Nice little six minute stretch.

If only…

Spike (although very injured much of the year) has been terrible. 12 minutes a game, shooting 22% from the floor and 15%(!!!) from three. 1.6 points per game. That was a great stretch but quite honestly it was his first great stretch of the season. Love spike but we he would have made 0 impact IMO this season

5 Likes

That may be. I’m sure you’re right about earlier in the season.

Spike did have a good stretch in the first half today! Which was nice to see. You can tell that when he’s healthy, he just knows how to play.

1 Like

Eros Harris taken off the court on a stretcher.

MSU has a tough end to their schedule…

Eron Harris just got carried off on a stretcher…looked to be a pretty serious leg injury.

If Northwestern loses to Rutgers right now and we win tomorrow, we’ll be in a 3 way tie for 4th

2 Likes

Very difficult injury to watch. Hopefully Harris has a speedy/safe recovery.

SKnight

1 Like

Regarding Northwestern, if they lose, that undoes the @Wisconsin win. It’s not exactly an easy last four games either.

You would think they win @Illinois or beat us or Purdue. But who knows, so do they dare lose out and miss the tournament???

(IF they lose! Down 6 with 8 min left)

Rutgers doesn’t know how to win close games. They seem to always find a way to lose down the stretch. Northwestern actually seems to be a better road team than a home one. As an aside, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more emotional wreck watching a team play than Doug Collins and Northwestern. Guy looks like he’s about to cry over a missed FT and can’t handle the inevitable swings in momentum. Kind of painful to watch and they showed him on TV non-stop the last few minutes.

I think we catch MSU in the standings, maybe even finish ahead of them.

If spike gets it together he could make Purdue that much better. To me purdye is far and away the best big ten team. I don’t think they get bounced eArly this year. Especially if by miracle spike can give them good minutes. Thompson is just ok to me. Spike could be very useful hitting shots, making sure they get the ball up turnover free and hitting their big in the right spots.