Big Ten Discussion

I don’t think it’s so far-fetched that UM catches Northwestern either. If we beat them then we’re only one game back with the tiebreaker, and they still play MD, PU, @IU, and @Ill, who beat them in Evanston. I’m not saying I think it will happen – we could just as easily end up 4 games back – but there’s still a lot of basketball to be played, a whole third of the B1G season. And Michigan is playing pretty well right now.

By Sunday we may be able to really look at the home stretch with more clarity. How will Minny do against IU and UM? UM against Wiscy and Minny? Who’s clawing to get in and who’s pushing for better seeds in the B1G and NCAA tourneys? MD could have two more losses by Sunday but so could Wiscy. Is MSU going to make a push toward the top? Lots of story-lines, should be fun.

2 Likes

You are right, too early.

Some Big Ten talk here…

1 Like

How about this Izzo/Dakich feud? I didn’t watch the game, and only saw 1 screenshot of Dakich’s tweet, but obviously Izzo was not going to let that presser end before addressing that.

My take is Dakich shouldn’t have called the fans “dumb” or suggested they didn’t/couldn’t get into Michigan, it’s not his place since he’s a professional and not an alum of either school (though if he were a Michigan alum, it probably would’ve looked even worse). It’s a shame, I thought Dakich’s actual basketball commentary had taken a serious step forward, this season.

I think Izzo had every right to defend his players and fanbase, but took it too far by commending the chants and saying he wished he could’ve contributed to them. I’d probably want to say the same things that Izzo did, if I were him, but by saying them he stooped to Dakich’s level.

I’ve talked to a few MSU fans who are of course enamored with how Izzo addressed it. MgoBlog sees it as him whining about whining, which he was and wasn’t.

1 Like

Can’t stand Dakich. I thought Izzo did his typical thing where he plays up the drama way more than he needs to but fans and players love that. The best part though is that Dakich is calling the MSU/Purdue game this weekend

Gotta wonder if he will get pulled from it. Also wonder if ESPN will force him to give an apology. Did they make him apologize/did he apologize, after the Woodbury comments?

Also, Dakich talks about a lot of nonsense, but I feel like he actually ‘knows’ the B1G teams better than most announcers. He knows tendencies and trends and players’ characteristics. I feel like a lot of other B1G commentators dont know that much about the players/teams they’re commenting on

Fuck him. Just 2 weeks ago, Izzo “didn’t give a damn about the fans”, now.he’s their knight in shining armor. DD was just slapping down dbags who were upset he didn’t give Sparty enough love during a 30pt blowout. He does that to everyone, he sure as hell doesn’t owe an apology to anyone, over sensitive sons of bitches.

Didn’t hear about the “didnt give a damn about the fans” quote. What was the context; just curious?

Dakich’s apology consisted of him saying he has “unreal respect” for Izzo. Hahaha.

Apparently it started with an MSU fan making fun of Dakich because Andrew is a bench warmer. Glad Dakich shrimp-slapped those trolls.

4 Likes

If that’s true, they deserved it; cocky and entitled, like their coach, with an inferiority complex. Still surprised he’d be that blunt and explicit with the retaliation, but he probably knows he doesnt stand much to lose.

He definitely looks bad as a professional.

But I’m okay with it lol.

2 Likes

Dakich is super petty on twitter. But MSU is hardly the first fanbase he’s insulted. Izzo might be the first coach to take it personally though.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what provoked Dakich…

So we have it straight: An MSU fan talked smack on DD’s son and DD returned some smack talk of his own, which provoked Izzo to request an apology (?) from DD and then Izzo went so far as to imply that ESPN should not employ DD because in Izzo’s words he is not “classy”.

Izzo is a delusional- manipulative- sociopath, folks.

I am not a big fan of demanding apologies but if anybody deserves an apology in this situation it is Dakich.

1 Like

Izzo’s reaction is just another reason why I love Beilein. Of course with the general sense of impending doom in East Lasting Izzo’s skin is even thinner.

1 Like

Izzo saying that is unprofessional of Dakich is kind of ironic given just a few days ago, when asked about Ward intentionally tripping Wagner, makes the comment “Wagner’s done his fair share, blah blah blah”

I mean…that’s not really professional of a coach either soooo

Dakich on Twitter is quite obnoxious, but his in game analysis this year has been legitimately good. As long as he keeps his trolling to MSU I don’t really care. And like JBlair said, Izzo is a guy who not only said that about Wagner, but threw a hissy fit about Darius Morris’ layup at the end of a two possession game when he had his starters in dunking against us up 50 that one year and of course berates his players to death. He’s the epitome of a classless coach.

4 Likes

I am not sure he “trolls” MSU. I think he just calls it like he sees it. Most announcer/ analysis guys are in constant politically correct mode. DAkich is a refreshing departure from 95% of guys in his profession. Izzo just wants to get rid of anybody in the media who does not kiss his ass…The thing that I find crazy (but typical of Izzo) is that Izzo would be willing to risk messing with DD’s livelihood…Izzo is a tiny man with power…

Idk, telling an MSU fan he went there because he got rejected from Michigan is pretty troll-like lol. 90% likely, but still…

1 Like