Big Ten Discussion

Yeah, Mo needs legit post touches. Teams are also keying in on our pick and pop action to get Mo iso-ed for a drive to the basket, they’re reaching in to help. We also just arent going to win many games when Zak and DJ get THAT little on offense. Zak driving and DJ catching the ball in the paint could both be counters to aggressive perimeter defense.

Few thoughts here…

1. Moe needs to learn how to pass the ball when he drives. Right now he doesn’t see the floor so it’s easy to reach in.

2. Moe needs to stay on the floor to get post touches. He had a couple of good post-ups vs. MSU then committed a cheap foul battling for position.

2 Likes

How many games has Moe actually fouled out of this year?

1? Vs. Wisconsin I believe.

…and in fairness, I think I was rung up for fouls in that game (despite my being in Michigan and having neither game nor eligibility…)

1 Like

Yeah that game was pretty bad for cheap fouls.

The refs kept them in the game. With normal refs there no doubt in my mind we pull away with a big lead and win that game.

I agree. So many calls that probably could’ve gone without being called. It is what it is at this point but man I thought we had that one.

To think if we had that one, at Iowa, and home vs Virginia tech. All very winnable games. Sucks.

1 Like

@umhoops Do you know of any good studies done on the difference in foul frequency based on home vs away for individual venues (That didn’t come out completely eight (Fml) right, so sorry if you don’t get what I mean).

fwiw here’s Moe’s fouls vs. minutes scatter plot.

A guy like Tate from OSU is a great example of what motor can do for you. The guy had no position coming out of HS and he still doesn’t have one. He shoots 18% from 3 and 57% FT’s. He’s a 6’4" PF without a shot. But he’s leading them in scoring.

5 Likes

Tate is the one kid on Ohio State that plays hard every game. He doesn’t often look good but he does play well. Matta had him guard Frank Kaminsky two seasons ago and that didn’t go well but other than that, despite his limitations, his motor gets him by.

1 Like

He has what many call an old mans game, back the defender down and use the rim for protection.

1 Like

…True. : ) …didn’t he have a UM offer?

We did offer him.

1 Like

Thought so. Would be interesting to see what he would have become under Beilein.

Tejon Lucas looking like Cassius Winston

Wild night for the Big 10 - Michigan stomps MSU, Penn St upsets Maryland,and NW drops a bad one to Illinois at home.

Northwestern better hold on down this stretch. They play @ Wiscy and home vs Maryland next…that could be 4 losses in a row if they’re not prepared.

Michigan finishes with 5/7 on the road.

After dropping 5 in a row, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Minnesota win 5 in a row.

Indiana vs Purdue tomorrow night could be big for the Hoosiers who are about to start a tough gauntlet of games until the end.

Does Iowa still have a chance? They’re 6-5 in the BT…if they go 3-4 to finish out (defend home court vs IL, Ind, PSU) they’d drop in at 9-9 for conference. Impressive for a team that wasn’t expected to do much and got 2 wins without Jok.

There are several B1G teams that still have a fighting chance to get to the NCAAs.

1 Like

For sure. It could make the Big Ten Tourney a little spicy this year!

1 Like