Big Ten Discussion

You might have PSU too low, especially after yesterday.

Nothing makes sense this year.

1. Wisconsin or Purdue
  2. Purdue or Wisconsin
    3-13. ???
  3. Rutgers.

This is going to be pure chaos, and as a basketball fan I love it (Obviously as a Michigan fan it gives me heart issues).

4 Likes

Nebraska just got a committment from highly touted Gtown transfer, Isaac Copeland. Serious buzz around that program.

Certainly a different spot than this summer. Copeland looks like a nice piece, not sure heā€™s a gamechanger, but Miles has done well with some other transfers (Shields, White for a while).

Huskers are also 9-7, lost to Gardner Webb this year, just lost at home to Northwestern and won their three Big Ten games by a combined 9 points. Some regression is inevitable there.

2 Likes

When reading Nebraska basketball forumā€™s from last year I found a lot of very ā€œreasonableā€ arguments with tons of conviction, which explained why Tim Miles will be fired and should be fired. I guess we are more reasonable over here in Michigan.

There will be a lot of surprise upsets this year like we have already seen, but it will be difficult for most of those teams to win consistently, even at home (like Nebraska found out yesterday).

Not a great look, but this sort of thing is nothing new. For decades, there have been stories of fans not connected with whatā€™s happening 10 feet in front of them, including one notable ā€œnewsā€ story (as I recall) of someone knitting in the stands at Crisler. These kinds of things came up all the time pre-Maize Rage as a reason to move students down closer to the court.

Maryland Freshmen triumvirate ( Jackson-Cowan-Huerter ) combine for 37 and 13 in a win against Indiana last night.

There are SOOO many good looking youngsters in the conference this year playing major minutes on their respective teams.

Getting minutes because of attrition is one thing, producing at a high level is another. Lot of college ready Frosh playing extremely well.

3 Likes

Whatā€™s everyoneā€™s take on Indiana and Crean at this point? 11-6, 1-3 in conference with that bad loss to Fort Wayne. Preseason #11 in the country, gotta think their fans are starting to sweat a bit

Also beat UNC and Kansas. Iā€™m sure their fans are losing their collective minds, but that team is still very capable of a) beating anyone and b) getting hot in a hurry.

On the other hand, their defense is as bad as Michiganā€™s.

1 Like

Theyā€™re confusing to me. I watched most of the game last night and I was surprised that Indiana had the record that they did. They should be much better IMO. And theyā€™ve beaten Kansas and UNC. Whatā€™s most shocking to me is that two of their conference losses have been at home. Maybe Iā€™m exaggerating how hard it is to play in Bloomington because we always suck there, but that seems like it doesnā€™t happen alot at Indiana. Havenā€™t looked at it myself though.

As Dylan said, they can beat anyone on a given night. Just a bad start so far.

2 Likes

I thought they might experience some ups and downs but this down stretch is a pretty extended one nowā€¦theyā€™ve lost to the last 5 teams with a pulse that they have played (Butler, Louisville, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Maryland.) Surprising for a team that many people said had the most NBA talent in the conference.

Theyā€™re 1-4 in games away from Assembly. They have 2 games vs Purdue, @Wisconsin, @Minnesota, @NW still to come. Could get messy if they donā€™t turn it back on soon

1 Like

Didnā€™t think MIchigan, Indiana, and Ohio State would be 2-8 at this point of the Big 10 season.
With Penn St, Northwestern, and Iowa being 6-6. Weird season.

1 Like

I have never been that big on Creen as a coach, although he does bring in a lot of talent. I wonder if he could recruit that well at a Minnesota or Rutgers.
I said in preseason that they would miss Yogi. They donā€™t appear to have anyone to run the team.

1 Like

Nebraska big man Ed Morrow sidelined indefinitely with a foot injury. NEBā€™s best rim protector & rebounder. UM faces NEB this weekend.

Lincoln ā€“ Nebraska Menā€™s Basketball Coach Tim Miles announced Wednesday afternoon that sophomore forward Ed Morrow Jr. will be sidelined indefinitely because of a right foot injury.
According to menā€™s basketball Athletic Trainer R.J. Pietig, the injury was confirmed by an MRI taken earlier this week. Surgery is not required, but Morrow will be re-evaluated next week to gauge his progress.

ā€œObviously this is disappointing for Ed,ā€ Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. ā€œI think heā€™s been playing the best basketball of his career, but a foot injury is a delicate one. We want to make sure he is at full health, and it was obvious on Sunday that he just needs rest and time for his foot to heal properly.ā€

Morrow has started all 16 games for the Huskers, who are 3-1 in the Big Ten and 9-7 overall, and has averaged 10.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots per game. The 6-foot-7 sophomore is sixth in the Big Ten in rebounding, seventh in blocked shots (1.5 bpg) and 13th in field goal percentage (.554).

Weā€™ve seen some problematic foot injuries around here the past few years. ā€˜Delicateā€™ is a good word choice.

1 Like

I guess anyone can claim the 3rd spot in the league the way this is going. Today isnā€™t a literal must-win, but its close given what is coming.

Thought Minny seemed overrated, but MSU is making it look easy against a defense that gave them fits a few weeks ago.

So Iā€™m bringing this into the basketball thread because I think thereā€™s a similarity here. As with quarterbacks, the Big Ten is absolutely dreadful this year in basketball point guards IMO. You have Melo Trimbleā€¦ and then what? Corey Sanders and Bryant McIntosh have been disappointing with offensive ratings below 100. Tony Carr, Josh Newkirk, Glynn Watson, Jordan Bohannon, and Jaylon Tate are average at best, and quite bad at their worst. JaQuan Lyle and Walton are decent but nothing special. PJ Thompson is really efficient but is rarely used. Wisconsin doesnā€™t really even have a point guard (Koenig, Trice, and Showalter all have small assist rates yet <1 assist to turnover ratios).

That leaves Cassius Winston and Nate Mason. I mean when taking defense into account you could make a solid argument that Nate freakin Mason of Minnesota is the conferenceā€™s 2nd best point guard just based on this yearā€™s stats.

Really thought McIntosh would be the easy #2. Thereā€™s room for Winston to make a move, but he splits his minutes with Nairn too much. I guess same could be said for Dwalt, but heā€™s too inconsistent, effort and production, to actually believe that