Big Ten Discussion

I have never been that big on Creen as a coach, although he does bring in a lot of talent. I wonder if he could recruit that well at a Minnesota or Rutgers.
I said in preseason that they would miss Yogi. They don’t appear to have anyone to run the team.

1 Like

Nebraska big man Ed Morrow sidelined indefinitely with a foot injury. NEB’s best rim protector & rebounder. UM faces NEB this weekend.

Lincoln – Nebraska Men’s Basketball Coach Tim Miles announced Wednesday afternoon that sophomore forward Ed Morrow Jr. will be sidelined indefinitely because of a right foot injury.
According to men’s basketball Athletic Trainer R.J. Pietig, the injury was confirmed by an MRI taken earlier this week. Surgery is not required, but Morrow will be re-evaluated next week to gauge his progress.

“Obviously this is disappointing for Ed,” Nebraska Coach Tim Miles said. “I think he’s been playing the best basketball of his career, but a foot injury is a delicate one. We want to make sure he is at full health, and it was obvious on Sunday that he just needs rest and time for his foot to heal properly.”

Morrow has started all 16 games for the Huskers, who are 3-1 in the Big Ten and 9-7 overall, and has averaged 10.1 points, 7.9 rebounds and 1.5 blocked shots per game. The 6-foot-7 sophomore is sixth in the Big Ten in rebounding, seventh in blocked shots (1.5 bpg) and 13th in field goal percentage (.554).

We’ve seen some problematic foot injuries around here the past few years. ‘Delicate’ is a good word choice.

1 Like

I guess anyone can claim the 3rd spot in the league the way this is going. Today isn’t a literal must-win, but its close given what is coming.

Thought Minny seemed overrated, but MSU is making it look easy against a defense that gave them fits a few weeks ago.

So I’m bringing this into the basketball thread because I think there’s a similarity here. As with quarterbacks, the Big Ten is absolutely dreadful this year in basketball point guards IMO. You have Melo Trimble… and then what? Corey Sanders and Bryant McIntosh have been disappointing with offensive ratings below 100. Tony Carr, Josh Newkirk, Glynn Watson, Jordan Bohannon, and Jaylon Tate are average at best, and quite bad at their worst. JaQuan Lyle and Walton are decent but nothing special. PJ Thompson is really efficient but is rarely used. Wisconsin doesn’t really even have a point guard (Koenig, Trice, and Showalter all have small assist rates yet <1 assist to turnover ratios).

That leaves Cassius Winston and Nate Mason. I mean when taking defense into account you could make a solid argument that Nate freakin Mason of Minnesota is the conference’s 2nd best point guard just based on this year’s stats.

Really thought McIntosh would be the easy #2. There’s room for Winston to make a move, but he splits his minutes with Nairn too much. I guess same could be said for Dwalt, but he’s too inconsistent, effort and production, to actually believe that

25 minutes into the game and DuPree McBrayer has more FGs than the rest of his team.

Iowa beats Purdue

They started 4 freshman and beat Purdue, my goodness.

We start 1 sophomore, 2 juniors, 2 seniors and get blasted by Illinois. Can it get worse?

The B1G is pure, unadulterated chaos. Sure is a shame that we haven’t capitalized

3 Likes

Michigan-Ohio State-Indiana: Combined 2-10 in league

2 Likes

Well, that certainly does make our OT road loss to Iowa look a lot better.

Very true. Maybe Iowa can keep this up. So much to like about that team.

They have four very nice looking Frosh going forward.

Nebraska loses significant starter to injury.

And now Penn State takes down Minnesota…

They were actually favored at home today

Hello everyone. Figured this thread was as good as any to introduce myself. I joined UMHoops a few days ago. I’ve read the content on Dylan’s site for the past few years and have developed an appreciation for it’s quality. Furthermore, I read the topics within the forum on a regular basis. Especially, items connected to recruiting. I chose to join because I respect the knowledge and the level of discourse.
My history of Big 10 basketball interest goes back to the early 1970s.
I’m not interested in stirring up trouble in any way. Yes, I’m an Ohio State fan.
Hope to get to know you all in a non-adversarial way.

6 Likes

I can still read that for 24 hours :slight_smile:

1 Like