Big Ten Discussion

WOW OSU and Indiana ending was fun. Great game.

Alternative break rules: Don’t pass unless they get a chest all the way in front of you.

Its a different thought from give it up early get it back late. Just other ways to teach the break.

I imagine JB teaches it the first way though.

Can we re-visit the “best case scenario” now? 3-1 in the road games. No luck involved. 7-1 in the last 8. Winners of 5 straight. 13-5.

10 Likes

Ha. I was just going to bump this. Awful take for such a my takes are always right, you are lucky I allow you to discuss basketball with me kind of guy.

3 Likes

Trolls gonna troll

1 Like

It was actually like that all year…

5 Likes

Alright UM–just to play with you a little, I’m going to encourage you to go back and see what you said about Simmons! :slight_smile: Just teasing, but I’m glad everyone was wrong about him!

I think the difference is most guys on here predict, guess, speculate, etc. and make it clear that that’s what they’re doing. With players they’ll say “they’re not playing well” rather than “they’ll never play well.” The poster whose comments are being brought up continuously does the latter and makes blanket “this will definitely happen” statements about rather ridiculous things, like saying we have no chance at finishing better than 11-7.

2 Likes

Yeah, I held out hope for a while but then pretty much gave up on Simmons. I too am glad he seems to be proving me and others wrong. He still looks a little lost on D (5 fouls in 13 mins the last two games), but right now he’s looking like a really strong PG to be able to bring off the bench. Couldn’t happen at a better time. JB has talked about his attitude a ton and he’s seemed like a great kid in interviews, and I’m really happy for the guy.

And as wolverheel says, it’s fine to speculate or be pessimistic, but repeatedly being so dismissive and certain about uncertain things gets a little old. Onwards and upwards, let the good times roll.

3 Likes

Yes, I agree…let’s ban everyone who’s ever made a confident prediction on this board that turned out wrong. I’ll play if you will.

Absolutely, Boards. There are several ways to “skin a cat.” In this case I believe JP made the wrong choice. But, it really doesn’t matter what I think. The game is moving like a hundred miles an hour, he’s flying up the floor, 12,000 fans are screaming, he makes a choice and takes it to the hole himself. I’m absolutely sure he thought he could make the play. Hey, that’s between him and Coach. I believe Coach B, in the presser, mentioned blowing the 2-1 break. But you’re right. Again, more than one way to run a break. I would have preferred the other way. Then, too, I NEVER had anyone as immensely talented as Jordan Poole, even on a relative basis. I think had he given it up we’d have had two points there, but we’ll never know. As I said, I’m sure Jordan thought he could make the play. How about today’s game?!? Great game! Outstanding defense in the first half and one of the best halves of offensive basketball I’ve seen from a Michigan team in that first half! Thanks for your input! Go Blue!!!

Great game! It blew me away

Why do you constantly put words in people’s mouths around here? It’s really weird.

1 Like

Constantly? Can you give me 5 examples of me putting words in people’s mouths, going back 3 months? If not, then I have to ask you in turn why you are accusing me of doing things I haven’t done.

How ‘bout them Wolverines? :slight_smile: Lately I’ve thought about whether Tim Hardaway Jr’s sophomore season is a good comparison to Charles Matthews’. Offensive rating suggests it’s a decent comparison, and Charles Matthews does better on defensive rating. Charles Matthews has a better 3 point shooting percentage, and more rebounds per game. Any thoughts?

Not a bad player to resemble IMO.

1 Like

Sort of been the inverse right now. Hardaway really struggled early and then was lights out by the end of the year. Matthews had some good moments early but is trying to fight through it right now. Great read here.

2 Likes

One difference is that THJr always seemed confident. Even the year he struggled, he could go 0-5 and then not shy away from an off-the-dribble contested 3. Matthews doesn’t really have that. THJr was also a more natural shooter.

Matthews seems like a better passer to me. He also has perhaps better footwork in the lane, though he gets a little out of control. A little earlier recognition of when to go and when to pull back and reducing that tape-delay could go a long way.Generally, I think Matthew could have a big year next year if X and Poole take on a lot of the primary playmaking – this year Matthews probably started out as option #1 in terms of wing/guard PnR sets – with another year to work on his fundamentals.

1 Like

Wait Charles had a higher 3 pt percentage? Is that really accurate? Doesn’t seem possible.

Tim shot 28% as a sophomore. Matthews is currently at 33%

3 Likes

Everything Dylan and UMHoopsFan said makes sense. The difference in conference statistics is pretty stark–THJ’s offensive rating is far better. Believe it or not, Charles Matthews still is better in three point shooting percentage within the Big 10. THJ had 27% that year (!!), and Matthews 29%. I would assume the stats belie the fact that THJ probably tried to create more three point shots off the dribble than Matthews, but that’s a guess.