Assistant Coaching Candidates

Any knowledge of Donlan’s recruiting chops and how he is thought of on the trail? Have read it wasn’t his strong suit at Wright St but curious on areas he is familiar with. Know he is from around Chicago and obviously been in Ohio for awhile.

1 Like

Looks like a lot of transfers on his roster (not uncommon for the Horizon) and a lot of guys from southern Ohio, an area which has been pretty good to U-M.

Thanks Dylan, read where he is quite intense and has some high energy so hoping that translates to recruiting.

Fully expecting Saddi will find us our own Keith Benson.

1 Like

We might already have our own Kent Benson in young Austin Davis😊
Keith Benson? I’m not so sure about

1 Like

Some thoughts from Beilein on new coaches, etc.

1 Like

Interesting stuff. A little surprised that only DWalt and Dakich are staying in AA to work with Sanderson for the first session. Not saying its a bad thing, but was surprised nonetheless.

Did Mo go back to Germany?

1 Like

I think part of it is that it was a long season and guys played a lot of minutes. Many of them probably need the rest (Irvin, Duncan). I believe Mo did go back to Germany, which is reasonable because he’s been here for a long time.

Seems like the summer term will be absolutely key when the freshmen arrive.

2 Likes

Definitely understand Mo, Duncan, and Zak wanting to go home/rest. But I had hoped that Mark and DJ would be here the whole summer. Mark still needs to add some strength, and DJ could do with hundreds of hours of dribbling.

1 Like

A few things:

1. Ryan was a really great coach. Let’s see if they can maintain that level now that he’s gone. Solid year one, all things considered.

2. Other than 2014 and 2015 - so a full 13 years into his tenure - they almost never did anything in the tourney. One Elite Eight before that. Much better regular season than tourney team.

Beilein mentioned that the players would all continue to work out, including strength and conditioning, while away from AA. Will not be as intense as camp Sanderson, I am sure, but they will still be trying to get better. They are sent away with a plan for improvement.

Glad to hear that! Still imagine on-campus training would be more productive, but still good news.

Article below is from Scout, basically the same as all the articles except there was one tidbit that I thought was cool. JB told Saddi last time around Bacari got the job cause he worked with big men. So Saddi went back to Oakland and said he wanted to work with the big men so he could get the job at Michigan when it opened up again.

1 Like

Beilein mentioned that in the Webb interview.

So donlon ran a packing defense I gather from you guys? If so we should just switch to that d out right. I feel like all teams I know of who run it are tough defensively. Complete overhaul.

Also I am slightly worried about only two guys staying behind. I’m very happy Derrick is. I think he senses the urgency in his career. Kid wants to play pro somewhere he needs to significantly step up his game. I think Derrick if he can shoot consistently could be top dawg on the team

It troubles me they’re not going all in as this is their best chance to be contenders in years. You would think they’d be selling out to contend, Maarten/Walton is the best backcourt in the big ten imo. I can’t think of a duo I prefer.

The depth concerns me now but if you consider our roster I really believe we might win the big ten. A starting five of Walton, maar,Duncan,Irvin and Wagner could be the best in the big ten. Indiana might be better if everyone returns. I know state has a those frosh but they have to show me they’re that elite before I buy it

If we switch to a pack line defense, JB better be prepared to spend half of each practice working on it.

Derrick is probably staying because it’s only a 45-50 minute drive to his house (so seeing his family is not an issue) and his lease will run through the summer anyway. Really no reason for him to ever leave campus long term.