Assistant Coaching Candidates

Beilein mentioned that the players would all continue to work out, including strength and conditioning, while away from AA. Will not be as intense as camp Sanderson, I am sure, but they will still be trying to get better. They are sent away with a plan for improvement.

Glad to hear that! Still imagine on-campus training would be more productive, but still good news.

Article below is from Scout, basically the same as all the articles except there was one tidbit that I thought was cool. JB told Saddi last time around Bacari got the job cause he worked with big men. So Saddi went back to Oakland and said he wanted to work with the big men so he could get the job at Michigan when it opened up again.

1 Like

Beilein mentioned that in the Webb interview.

So donlon ran a packing defense I gather from you guys? If so we should just switch to that d out right. I feel like all teams I know of who run it are tough defensively. Complete overhaul.

Also I am slightly worried about only two guys staying behind. I’m very happy Derrick is. I think he senses the urgency in his career. Kid wants to play pro somewhere he needs to significantly step up his game. I think Derrick if he can shoot consistently could be top dawg on the team

It troubles me they’re not going all in as this is their best chance to be contenders in years. You would think they’d be selling out to contend, Maarten/Walton is the best backcourt in the big ten imo. I can’t think of a duo I prefer.

The depth concerns me now but if you consider our roster I really believe we might win the big ten. A starting five of Walton, maar,Duncan,Irvin and Wagner could be the best in the big ten. Indiana might be better if everyone returns. I know state has a those frosh but they have to show me they’re that elite before I buy it

If we switch to a pack line defense, JB better be prepared to spend half of each practice working on it.

Derrick is probably staying because it’s only a 45-50 minute drive to his house (so seeing his family is not an issue) and his lease will run through the summer anyway. Really no reason for him to ever leave campus long term.

Cool by me. Starting five returning know the offense. I think one thing they need to all improve on offense though is waiting for the picks Whether it’s off the ball or on ball they leave to early when the pick is being set allowing the defender to get around this easier. Also coming off tighter.this minor detail will low them to get open more. State does a great job of this and that’s part of a reason their sets are more effective,

What will be interesting is the offense took a step back last year. Beilein lamented the 30 second shot clock really hurt the team. He really didn’t anticipate the shot clock playing that big of a factor. With possibly a new defense and having to address the offense can both get done or is one going to suffer? It’s not like Michigan has the talent to pull a Villanova and be top 10 efficient in both offense and defense. Also what would constitute defensive improvement in regards to efficiency? Top 50? Probably. Top 75? Maybe not.

That’s interesting because the only 2 guys that have experienced any real type of winning are Derrick and Zak but that was back in 2014. This group still needs to learn how to win imo. It isn’t easy to win and as you mentioned the lack of depth is a question mark. Once we know who’s coming back and who isn’t we will get a better picture of things. For example if Swanigan and Edwards come back you would probably have to give Purdue an edge over Michigan.

1 Like

Don’t disagree with the pick comment in general, but I do wonder if we move early by design (sometimes)…seems like our bigs try to use that opportunity to roll to the basket and get a step ahead of the defender, and also avoid the possibility of a moving screen (which is called extremely inconsistently by officials)

True i forgot about Edwards. I’d take Purdue over us as well with both of them.

Purdue wasn’t that great last year and they lose their go to guy. I’ll take us, at this point.

If Swanigan comes back, I’ll take Purdue 4/5 times.

Is Painter still the coach?

2 Likes

We’ll let you dictate, Bear.

3 Likes

Local column on Billy Donlon

1 Like

Nice article. Thanks for posting that. He sounds like a real nice guy.