April Live Period...Coaches Whereabouts

I completely agree that one weekend’s stats constitute a sample size too limited to make any clear determinations, especially for kids adjusting to new teams, and that goes for both good and bad stats. I’m very much on board with going hard after Cain. However, the stats are facts–that we think they’re not dispositive doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be considered at all or taken into account in making an overall evaluation or even in urging caution before reaching a conclusion.

1 Like

Probably the most thought out non biased post on this topic. Well said.

No one was saying they did. Weird point to make.

His shooting was brought up. Context was given. Seems like a perfectly appropriate point to make.

1 Like

And NBA teams keep drafting “projects” instead of proven commodities. Never ending cycle and AAU shouldn’t be the only one to take the blame.

Dylan, have any idea who else is going to be on the road for UM this weekend?

Are players really hurt by the lack of “team play” during AAU events and unable to revert back to that concept for HS. College and the pros? I like the team concept and hate the “all star” format, but unless there is lasting damage, I don’t know how big of a problem this is.
As long as coaches keep attending the AAU events to recruit players, they will live on. The coaches like them because the talent is more concentrated and makes their time more efficient, even though I am sure that they hate the style of play.

1 Like

It makes more sense to draft say a jaylen Brown then buddy hield. You gotta go for the big gamble on size/athletes a lot of the time. I understand why they gamble on the kwame Browns of the world. The crying is just so much higher.

Also I think their underrating this years draft a bit. Not as stacked as last years but I like a lot of the young guys to at least be solid role players. Ellenson,Zimmerman,stone, sabonis are all kids I like. I’m a Suns fan and I hope they use their three first rounders wisely. I want them to take brown if they draft third or fourth. I also really like dejounte murrays game.

Here is some whereabouts

Michigan, Brown, and Rice among the coaches here watching Cormac Ryan and @MiddlesexMagic 17U #PittJamFest

— Hoop Group (@TheHoopGroup) April 23, 2016

Michigan, Penn Stare, Marshall, and High Point are here watching WV Wildcats F Karim Ezzdine #PittJamFest pic.twitter.com/q2p75uhEOO

GMU, High Point, St. Francis, VMI, & Michigan are checking out Team Loaded 757 vs. East Coast Cyclones #PittJamFest pic.twitter.com/Kg3hwWaykT

Haven’t hear those names before. Guys were targeting?

Not really sure. I want to say I’ve heard the Cormac Ryan name in regards to UM but not completely sure. Have no clue in regards to Karim Ezzdine though.

It could easily be they are sitting on the court that they are going to see next too.

It looks like Director of Ops Pete Kahler is the other person on the road.

Painter, Turgeon, McCaffery, Beilein and Mike White are the head coaches I see for Malik Williams right now

— Brian Snow (@BSnowScout) April 23, 2016

Kid is a beast, would be huge for us to land him.

1 Like

Is Michigan allowed to send Sanderson on the road recruiting? Seems like he might be a more recognizable face than Kahler.

I don’t know how much it matters who is there as long as someone is there. It seems like Kahler is watching younger guys, not so much the guys they are focusing on right now. Sanderson would have to take a recruiting rules test but I’m not sure if strength coaches are allowed to do that.

1 Like

Kahler is part of the basketball staff. He knows what JB is looking for in a player. Sanderson doesn’t work with only the bball players. Plus, he can’t be on the road every weekend recruiting. He’s got S&C responsibilities to focus on back in Ann Arbor. If prefer him to stay there and work with the players we already have.

And I doubt Kahler is doing much other than scouting. I doubt he’s gonna be court side for many of Michigan’s priority recruits.

1 Like

Yeah, plus you can only have so many staff contacting recruits at one time IIRC.

1 Like

You can have four members of the staff out at once. Those four right now are Beilein, Meyer, Hunter, and Kahler. Hunter and Kahler had to be granted waivers in order to go on the road recruiting because they are not considered coaches.

Wonder who has been handling the Mullins visit.

Since the recruiting period didn’t open until like 3pm(or thereabouts, first game at EYBL was at 6:30pm) on Friday, I assume the coaches were with Mullins Wed, Thurs and part of Friday morning(perhaps even early afternoon). The Nike EYBL event JB has been at all weekend is in Indy, so that is a short flight. I bet they got most everything done with Mullins before JB left for Indy on Friday.