2019 Recruiting Notes

I’m not sure Beilein is just another coach…didn’t Girard’s father play for JB at Lemoyne?

1 Like
1 Like

Would LOVE to make a run at Cole Anthony

Michigan has been on him for a couple months to my knowledge, but not sure how much of a priority he actually is, nor do I know how serious Anthony takes them. He doesn’t talk to media about his recruitment.

We seem to do well with kids of former players/ people who know the game. Would not be surprised if greg Anthony would be very happy with coach b and knows he’d make cole better

1 Like

Also bag men mean less when your family already has money

We’re not getting any high five star recruits, unless the FBI probe has changed the way schools conduct business.

Didn’t realize that was Greg Anthony’s kid. That could make a difference, potentially.

Yes it is his kid. I ran into Greg Anthony last year in indianapolis for EYBL session 2. Cole was killing 17u competition last year playing up a age group.

I find it highly unlikely Michigan will land Anthony personally. Duke has been on him hard for awhile. Not to mention every other school known for producing one and done’s.

One thing that I find interesting with Anthony is that he is a year older than most juniors. I believe he is already 18 and turns 19 next year as a senior.

It’d make sense. This is his 3rd year on the EYBL 17u circuit so the age thing would make it more logical.

Anthony will be 18 in May

RANK
N/A
NATIONAL

STATE

POSITION
COLE
ANTHONY
6’2" | 180 LBS | PG
ARCHBISHOP MOLLOY
NEW YORK, NY
CLASS OF 2019
UNDECIDED
If there was any argument about who was the top point guard in the 2019 class, it was squashed on Friday evening by five-star guard Cole Anthony. Playing up on the Nike EYBL 17-under level since he was a freshman, Anthony kicked off his senior travel-ball season in an emphatic manner. Whether it was explosive finishes at the basket, mid-range pull-ups, or catch-and-shoot 3s, Anthony did it all.

He has flown under the radar a bit, but after seeing who was in attendance and the dominant stat line that he produced, it’s pretty clear this is going to be a blueblood affair, as UNC, Duke, Michigan, Villanova, Oregon, Georgetown, Ohio State, Michigan and Notre Dame are among those that are in the hunt.

In the past, I had issues with Anthony’s decision-making and shot-selection abilities. But the PSA Cardinals star made his point by scoring from all three levels on the floor while also displaying better facilitating abilities than I had ever seen from him. Pound for pound, Anthony is a much better prospect than Trevon Duval was at this stage of the game. Unlike Duval, who could struggled to find the basket, Anthony has the moxie, toughness, confidence and upside that says he should be a top point guard in 2019. Jalen Lecque, Ashton Hagans and Josiah James may still have a say, but if Anthony keeps doing what he did on Friday evening, this discussion is closed.

1 Like

Sweet. Mentioned as a blue blood again…and twice :smirk:

3 Likes

I think the Coach Beilein prestige will be permanent now. What he’s done the past two seasons has been astounding. Clearly one of the best coaches in all the land.

This may be the best recruiting staff he’s had as well. A young, talented, energized trio.

4 Likes
1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: 2019 - Wing - Jalen Wilson (Target)

He has earned it. In the last six years, the only teams with two Final Four appearances are Michigan, Villanova, UNC, Syracuse, Wisconsin and Kentucky. The only ones to make the finals twice are Michigan, Villanova and UNC.

Notice the absence of Blue Bloods like Duke, Kansas, Arizona and MSU.

2 Likes

Maybe so. I agree with this but kids generally don’t care about college as much at that high of a level. They want to be NBA first rounders immediately. The general perception still leans heavily towards Duke, Kansas, Kentucky and those teams more than Michigan, Villanova and teams that are generally as good in college but don’t get one and dones. Until a couple kids in a class can go against the grain, it’ll be tough for Michigan to get put into that discussion. I see two different interpretations of “blue blood”. One is the one where Michigan is towards the highest tier, the other is the strictly one and done blue bloods. This isn’t a great example in writing. It’d be easier to explain verbally. It’ll be tough for Michigan to truly reach the Duke, Kentucky, Kansas level in recruiting 5 Stars consistently. But Michigan is gaining more traction with those types of players for sure. They are getting much more serious looks from those caliber players. Getting them to commit is an entirely different matter. The article about Wilson even says that