2018 - Wing - Ignas Brazdeikis (Commit)

MAAR is a huge loss for this team. While not an all American, he was extremely solid in almost every facet of the game. Solid scorer, solid shooter, solid ft shooter (way above average for this team), decent rebounder and extremely good at taking care of the ball, solid defender. Add in his experience of playing almost 150 games, nearly 120 of which were starts I think it’s clear he’s leaving a big gap. In my eyes Poole is already as talented from a scoring stand point, maybe even better, but his decision making isn’t anywhere close and neither is the defense. The biggest concern for me being his defense. A lot of people have pointed to it being mental and not thinking that’s an easy fix. I think that it is 100 percent that not the physical part, but that doesn’t make it an easy fix. From my experience defensive principles can be taught and learned but it is a highly instinctual thing. That’s my biggest concern with him.

As for Iggy I really like his ability to finish with either hand at the basket, looks very comfortable doing that. I think his shooting stroke looks like it can be solid. Defensively I see the concern, but I’m not sure if it’s as much of a matter of he can’t as it is he doesn’t seem engaged. He’s not a Charles Matthews athlete but he looks way more aggressive with the ball on offense than when he’s playing defense. I have a feeling he’ll find out quickly how important defense is and hopefully that translates into being at least a decent defender. As far as position, I don’t think the # matters on offense, they’ll find roles for him and other guys but defensively I think he needs to be able to defend the 4 and eventually the 3.

6 Likes

Some guys just have a knack for scoring. Sindarious Thornwell is a guy who isn’t very athletic, but was a great scorer, used his strength in doing so, and is now in the NBA.

That Cumberland dude for Cincy (who we recruited for a bit) is another. Not a great athlete at all, but he can score.

6 Likes

Very hopeful Iggy can produce in halfcourt sets. Desperately needed going forward.

Over the last 15-20 games, I’d agree. Before that, he disappeared a lot.

Poole isn’t nearly the defender MAAR was. But I think he’s got the potential to be a far more dynamic scorer.

Yeah, I have to agree. I love his offensive skill set, but it’s hard to see him guarding guys consistently along the perimeter. Can’t imagine he plays anything but the 4 during his first season…maybe 3 in a pinch. He just doesn’t seem to have the lateral quickness/hip flexibility to stick with quick guys on the bounce and appears to be a quintessential JB 4.

Well then, I guess JB better use that open scholarship to find a defensive wing or else Matthews is going to have to play 40 minutes a game.

1 Like

Then the question is can Livers play the three both offensively and defensively as the primary back up to Matthews.

Don’t see it. JB would retire if he stops recruiting players that fits into his offensive scheme.

I have wondered that myself since he is the most athletic of the three. Obviously JB thinks one of them can or he wouldn’t have recruited three 4s and no 3s in consecutive classes.

Maybe they mix in some zone next season…lots of length!

1 Like

Snippet from Zach Shaw article:

Ignas Brazdeikis seems about as college-ready as any Michigan recruit in recent memory. He’s a scoring and rebounding machine, is physically built at 6-foot-7, 223 pounds and nearly reclassified to play college basketball last year before opting to play a staunch prep school schedule. Defense and being productive without scoring will be major developments for the top-40 recruit, but his floor is to reliably back up Matthews, and his ceiling is that he commands minutes and shots with a game that gives him an outside shot at becoming Michigan’s first one-and-done draft pic

3 Likes

Jamal Crawford was Michigan’s first one and done

2 Likes

Jamal was a 1/3 and done.

6 Likes

Thought Zach nailed Iggy when he wrote “defense and being productive without scoring will be major developments for the top 40 recruit.”

It will also be a HUGE adjustment not taking 25-30 shots a game going forward. Can he be efficient on 5-7 shots as a Frosh?

I’ll be absolutely stunned if he’s a one and done 1st round pick.

1 Like

I really like Iggy. He is going to be a good player but it seems like he is getting overhyped by many. One and done just doesn’t seem realistic, imo. It seems like a crazy prediction, to be honest, even though the prediction was qualified as a ceiling which Iggy has an “outside chance” of reaching…

You don’t like the player. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

3 Likes

Lol it’s comical at this point.

1 Like

When I saw him play, WHOA he won’t be here long AT ALL

Yeah, it’s certainly not like he averaged 21.1 ppg on 49% shooting and less than 15 shots per game in the EYBL or anything…

4 Likes

Agree. You don’t need to be a great athlete to be a great college player, but the same cannot be said about NBA wings (Excluding ridiculous 3 point shooting-gods). I’d be shocked to see him there after one year unless he shows something really unexpected.

2 Likes