2018 Recruiting Notes

I wish! Kid is gooood! But I believe he said he’ll wait until his senior year to decide.
Plays against good competition too.

If we’re looking at of for 2018 still why not Jordan McCabe. Looks like a kid belein would like.

Has there been any other recruiting noise or are we in a lull.

No way is Jordan McCabe a beilein kid. Known attitude problem and game is all flash. I really question whether his shot and quickness are adequate to play the way he does at the next level

He’s got flash, but he’s highly skilled. Wisconsin seems to be eyeing him and id say our programs are similar.

Also I believe he can be taught to tone it down. He’ll learn what he can get away with and what he can’t. I think he could be a solid pg.

No doubt he is highly skilled. The kid has obviously put in a lot of time. I just see his ceiling being spike in terms of what he brings. Spike also brought a lot of character and intangibles that are very valuable but think we can do better.

McCabe could be solid but “solid” would not be what I think we should aspire to. There, to me, just doesn’t seem to be a stylistic fit. We shall see what coach B thinks though

Also is WI eyeing because he is in their backyard and doing due dilligence or bc they are sure he is the real deal. Have they offered?

I thought they were listed, when I looked. I believe gonzaga and a few other big schools are eyeing him to. Although I read he is 17 already which loses points. Also his d looks horrible. I like his vision and shot. He can get open to

Top 100 Guard, VERY Good athlete that can get to the rack and finish.

This is a kid I’ve always thought highly of. He would be a great addition on the defensive end and an immediate upgrade athletically.

Probably doesn’t shoot it well enough yet to entice JB, but is definitely one to monitor.

JB checked in on Robby Carmody today

Sounds like Bacari tracked Brandon Wade and Kevin Easely closely in Chicago.

1 Like

Aren’t you the guy who called Beilein a lazy recruiter a few days ago?

1 Like

Robby Carmody ‘Loves UM’. Big fan of his game, think you guys will enjoy this one. Ranked #45 in 18 per Scout

3 Likes

That was me and yes he is or at least has been in the recent past. This is the evaluation period. At the bare minimum, It’s his job to be at these events. It’s how he conducts his recruiting in the months I between that leave a lot to be desired.

That’s all I’ll say as I don’t want to go too far off topic.

I Please. Over the past 3-4 years, he has evaluated a TON of prospects, many of whom we never ended up offering. And he’s also scoured the country for late spring guys (Spike, Caris, MAAR, Wagner) who have been solid contributors or better for us.

You can say some of that comes from missing on primary guys, and that’s fair. But that wasn’t true with Spike or Caris.

Amaker was the guy who focused on a few key targets, missed, and then had no contingency plan.

If by “lazy” you mean he doesn’t send 15 text messages a day, fine. Personally, if I were a kid, I think that would get old fast. And if I were a parent of a big time recruit, I would shut that down rather quickly.

3 Likes

I think the “lazy” accusation is one of the lamest going here. Yes, there’s a difference between soft-spoken/hard-working and frenzied salesmanship. Parents who have seen their kids go with Beilein have mentioned that his approach was a draw. I’m okay if the next guy is more of a huckster, up to a point. But the idea that Beilein is lazy doesn’t pass the smell test.

3 Likes

Since Louisville and Purdue have already offered and we would offer o 6/15 at the soonest, doesn’t that mean that we’re too late?