2018 Recruiting Notes

Got tot think if we offer Gabe and he accepts that eliminates Tyson as very similar players and more project types.

2 Likes

Seems like a complimentary player. Which is fine. If we take him, just means we need to get a primary option like Hunter.

1 Like

Don’t think he will get an offer at this point. But getting the full unofficial could pave the way for future movement obviously.

1 Like

Thanks Dylan, thought it might be a bit early. Big thing I hope is we get at least a couple of guys who can make an impact in the first year.

Seems like a late bloomer ala Caris. Has a similar build at the same age. Not as smooth as Caris or as good of a ballhandler, but looks like he has some upside. I wonder if his D is any good.

Hearing grades are still an issue. Other analyst believe his upside is huge.

Wiry athlete, plays above the rim and can hit catch and shoot threes. Prototypical three-and-D type prospect and his upside is definitely huge.

2 Likes

Definitely hope that Gabe gets an offer. I especially prefer him over Damezi Anderson and Nance. Other than those two guys actually, I feel really good about our offers. Really hope that we can steal Gabe before others really take notice

Do you think the lack of off would be because of grades, like @bigplay said? Or is it that the staff isn’t sure about his basketball abilities?

JMO, but a bit of both. Staff is very interested but wants to see more, and it seems that he has work to do in the classroom, too. It appears that he really wants a Michigan offer, which meets the “running through the doors to play for Michigan” standard. If grades are an issue, can he resolve that while we still have a spot available for him?

1 Like

Really like the potential in Brown. A few years of camp sanderson and he could be what JB hoped Cam would have been. Smooth lefty who has some potential to create from that side. Anyone familiar with whether he’s done growing or does he still have a few inches coming potentially?

In reality, grades aren’t an issue to get into UM (ask Harbaugh) but Beilein thinks it’s really important. If they can’t take care of the little things like getting an education, how are they going to get the nuances of his 2 guard system?

I don’t know Brown’s situation academically but Beilein will look extensively at each recruit’s transcript to see what they did when they were younger as well to see if there has been improvement. It’s one thing that he doesn’t want to worry about during any part of the athlete’s tenure at UM (or at his previous schools).

Hard to know if it’s qualifying or academic readiness for UM, but you’re right, if he was barely qualifying, he would not be a take for Beilein.

Anyone know what’s with the lack of scouting from the recruiting services? Is he not doing camps/EYBL?

Who Gabe Brown? He plays with The Family and has emerged this spring at EYBL and at Spiece. Should continue to during July.

Is this his first year with the Family? Or is it a break-out type session?

Believe he played with Michigan Mustangs last year. This is more about his development and emergence than exposure though IMO.

Here’s a write up from the fall
https://www.prephoops.com/2016/10/updated-michigan-rankings-2018-risers/

6’6 SF Gabe Brown (Belleville/Mustangs-Faletti 16u) Old rank: 66. New rank: 9

Brown you could argue had the biggest spring in the state. He went from virtual unknown who was on the jv during high school season, to bona fide star with 5 D1 offers before his junior high school season starts. He is athletic, shoots well and plays hard. He along with fellow Belleville teammates Davion Williams, Devin Alverson, Kmare Carey, Julian Savoury and Co. make Belleville easily one of the most talented and athletic teams in Michigan this year. Brown is the biggest riser in our rankings as he climbed 57 spots into the top 10.

2 Likes

Just thought it was weird that he was one of the players to get an N/A on the 247 composite…

Has anyone updated their rankings since the spring? I don’t think so but maybe. Sites usually update before and after July I believe.

To me, all this sounds like a spring take if we can persuade him to hold off on the basis that we need to see academic progress. You’re right about Beilein shying away from close academic calls–in addition, he often shies away from signing beyond the number of scholarships and letting things sort themselves out later. Right now, we have three open scholarships (counting DeJulius as in), but it seems very possible/likely that there will be more: (1) Wagner (and even Matthews) are possible early entries; (2) if they stay, a guy like Watson (or one of the two sophomore centers in Wagner’s case) might get tired of sitting; (3) if Simpson’s play doesn’t tick up this year to the point where he knows he’s the heir apparent next year, what does he do; etc. Brown, with academics in order, would be a great get in those circumstances. Maybe Beilein will oversign this year–if he doesn’t though, my guess (and it’s strictly a guess) is that this is the direction the Brown recruitment is headed, at least as of right now.

3 Likes