2018 Recruiting Notes

UM also hosted Robby Carmody (18/SG or SF) out of Mars PA (metro Pittsburgh) in early February. Appears to be a legit 6’4-6’5 with a solid frame already. Good verticality for a sophomore, and definitely strong for that age, not a burner in terms of straight line speed, nor does he possess good lateral agility. Nice shooter with a quick release, but does stand erect when receiving the pass/not shot ready, not a great ball handler but does show some ability to put defenders on the hip and bully his way to the rim. Also shows some ability to shoot off the bounce. What I love most about Carmody is that he is a shooter that has motor, his ball pursuit and aggression level is absolutely great…kid is not afraid of contact at all, he embraces it.

Overall - I’d say Carmody is a 75-125 type player. As always, far too early to predict since this kid has 2 years left. Reminds me of a more fluid/stronger Matt McQuaid.

From the context of the interview and his visit activity, Carmody appears to like Purdue a bit.

http://www.hoopseen.com/index.php/news/headlines/item/4275-attention-already-high-for-robby-carmody

Matt wasn’t there a Camordy in the B1G before? Northwestern maybe

You must be referring to Bill, former HC at NW. Don’t know if there is any relation, but I doubt Robby is heading to Evanston based on his talent.

Sounds exactly like a Purdue wing, so not surprised they are high on his list.

Rankings spread for Carmody

ESPN - NR
247 - NR
Rivals - generic 3 star
Scout - 3 star/#10 SG

Offers - appears to hold offers from Xavier, Pitt, Cincy, Purdue Penn State

Not sure what the competition is like in the clip above, but agree – great motor and very active. Similar game to McQuaid as you say. Based on his frame and aggressiveness, would seem to have some defensive potential also.

Don’t know if he has the speed/lateral agility to defend a 2, but certainly appears to be strong enough and mobile enough to defend a college 3. In general though, I just never fail to account for motor…and Carmody certainly has that. Seems like a good role player that would stick around 4 years. This kid has everything that we WISH Aubrey Dawkins had.

Motor is so big. I call it dog. The more kids we have with dog the better

1 Like

UM also hosted Dwayne Cohill (18/combo) out of Parma Heights (Cleveland area) in early February. Cohill appears to be a legit 6’3-6’4. Good/great verticality for a sophomore, elite strength on a functional basis…his ability to put a defender on his hip and then take contact and still finish with either hand is absolutely elite, above average handle and change of direction, average shooter from limited film I can see. Mechanics a bit funky, as he has a swingshot like Irvin where he brings the ball out to the left side for a windup. But he does have great arch unlike Zak.

Overall - probably a top 50-60 type player IMO. Again, too early to say with 2 years left. Reminds me of Quentin Goodin, just so good at getting to the rack and finishing. Just a very good quick twitch athlete in general. Has potential to be a great 2 way player in college. These are the kind of guys we so desperately need…a guy that you can just give the ball to in late game situations and say go get a bucket.

Interesting Tidbit - Cohill, Darius Bazley, and Robby Carmody all play with the same AAU club - OBC. Sure would be nice to have those three

Rankings spread for Cohill

Rivals - 4star/#66 overall for 2018
Scout - 3star/#45 overall for 2018
ESPN - NR
247 - 4star/#69 overall

Offers - appears to hold offers from West Virginia, Xavier, Penn State, Toledo

very nice player. Great shooting stroke. I know he had one finish with his left but he is going to have to continue developing it. A couple drives he scooped back to his right when a left hand would take him right to the rim.

Just watched first video used left hand pretty good in that.

Using NBA success to judge how well or poorly JB develops players is just plain stupid. Burke and Stauskas are below-average athletes in the NBA. They were not highly touted recruits. The fact that they were both lottery picks after 2 years is a testament to JB’s development. Hardaway is average/slightly below average by NBA standards. He was unheralded and pretty raw when he came to Michigan. Drafted after 3 years.

Izzo wins. If a player wants to go to a final four, MSU is a great place to go (minus the shitty campus and second-rate education). But MSU is far from an NBA factory.

Then what are you basing Izzo’s lack of development on if it isn’t how they do in the NBA?? His lottery draft record on kids? If so that is stupid! I

I didn’t discuss Izzo’s player development. I just stated that they aren’t an NBA factory.

And where did I discuss they were a NBA factory??

“Also this crap about Izzo not developing players and JB does is such a Michigan fan myth. How have our players fared in the NBA?? Not well”

In the above statement, you are clearly equating NBA success with player development. And you are directly comparing JB with Izzo. Either you are a very poor writer, or you are being disingenuous now.

Don’t know if I’ve mentioned it here before…but there is an elite 18 athlete right down the street from JB. Davion Williams (18/combo) from Belleville HS. I’ve watched Davion several times in person and he is a legit 6’1, with absolutely elite hops at that size…approaching Corey Sanders level. Average handles, shot needs some work. Big question for him is will he grow, as he’s not a PG and doesn’t shoot well enough to be a 2 at this point. I know he’s visited UM a few times, but has also visited MSU.

Some freshman clips from Davion:

Midseason highlights of Williams this year

NBA factory was said how many times?? Oh none got it.

Maybe you need to read the entire thread before chimming in. A question was asked about negative recruiting.

I can get you a full game on Williams if needed