2018 Recruiting Notes

Based off of eastern?

Eastern AND Cohill

1 Like

As more info has become available I agree with you 100%. I think Eastern had a chance to be a legitimately top notch Big Ten point guard and now that we know he was extremely interested in us Iā€™m more than a little disappointed. Same situation with Cohill.

Extremely interested would be an understatement with respect to Eastern

Here is the killer part - the Eastern camp had no issues with Brooks being in the mix, still interested because quite frankly, Brooks wasnā€™t viewed as a threat at all. The decision was unilaterally made by the staff

Thatā€™s sad. And makes me want to throw up.

1 Like

Eastern had an offer in hand when Brooks committed correct? I will knock a lot of JBā€™s recruiting tactics, but it seems inconsistent for Eastern not to know that Brooks was getting an offer. JB is transparent to recruits if nothing else. The opportunity for Eastern was there, he just did not act on it quick enough, which is a darn shame.

All that said, i would trade Eastern for Brooks in a heartbeat.

I think the issue becomes that Beilein preaches patience for a kid to get an offer because thereā€™s a process. At the same time though when he gets that offer sometimes Beilein wants a decision from that kid quickly. Itā€™s a different approach and probably a big reason why Michigan doesnā€™t stick around in a lot recruitments for guys that want to decide in the spring.

1 Like

Recruits waiting too long and losing spots isnā€™t an issue that is unique to Michigan. Unless you are a top-25 level recruit, waiting until spring to make a decision can be risky. It can also be really rewarding if a top-tier program has an opening via unexpected transfer or player opt for the draft.

From what I understand (not an insider), Michigan is pretty straightforward with recruits regarding number of spots available, number of offers outstanding, etc. At that point, itā€™s up to the individual recruit to decide if he likes Michigan enough to commit early or if he wants to see what other offers he can get. I donā€™t blame any recruit for trying to get a Duke or UK offer, but Iā€™m sure the recruits are aware that it can backfire.

1 Like

Also, it isnt often that Michigan will offer two guys in quick succession for the same roster spot. Guys usually have their opportunity to commit. I really hate losing out on 5* guys but I also like having a a solid recruit committed rather than waiting and completely missing out. I feel like that we run a low risk recruiting methodology but there is definitely a ceiling to it

1 Like

If this is true then that is brutal in so many ways. We should still go after eastern if the brooks addition didnā€™t bother him.

Also if eastern was really that high on us then thereā€™s no way I add brooks till finding out about eastern. I know bird in hand and what have you but this also leads me to believe they donā€™t have brooks far behind Nojel. Particularly on fit.id still add eastern and take a sf in 18.

His versatility could be nice. Just have him guard sf on defense or sg then on offense play x or brooks off the ball. Or really theyā€™d be interchangeable him and x on offense.

Since @MattD has brought up Bazley a bit in this thread.

It was only a matter of time with Bazley. I talked to him the at the Brawl for the Ball in Grand Rapids - he kept saying ā€œthe OSU strength and conditioning coach says to put on 10lbs per year and gave me some things to work on so Iā€™m ready when I getā€. It was if he was already a member of the team. When UM attempted to get in it, he wasnā€™t very receptive at all to be honest. Definitely an elite talent.

Scout updated 2018 rankings: Carmody 60, Hunter 77, Johns 97.

Also Tyler Herro is visiting on Sept 17th.

Even Rivals, who has always been bullish on Johns dropped him to number #38 today. In my opinion, Scout is the closest to getting this one correctā€¦heā€™s simply nowhere near a top 20, or even 40 player. Glad to see other sites confirming my own thoughts on this one

Looks like Hunter might be the better option at the four for the 18 class. Heā€™s still ranked below Johns, but he has a higher ceiling due to athleticism. Probably not as good of a shooter. I havenā€™t watched extensive film no either though.

Hunter now ranked higher on Scout (#77) in relation to Johns (#97)

Forgive my blindness lol. Canā€™t read a few comments up.

I honestly have never got the love for Johns. I think heā€™s a pretty good player, but probably close to maxed out physically, one dimensional, and lacks motor. Always a place for a 6ā€™8 shooter but his game looks a lot like Duncan Robinson in EYBL, minus the 44%

A guy that would kill for a UM offer, and that Iā€™m big on, David DeJulius checks in at #145 on Rivals updated rankings for 18