2018 Recruiting Notes

Update with Kevin Easley

“My first step needs to be quicker,” he said. “My stamina is another thing. That’s something Michigan told me personally. My skills are good. I’ve got the size. But I need to be able to beat my man off the dribble.”

https://twitter.com/BFQuinn/status/758719310663553024

Should be interesting to see how 2018 recruiting hones in after camp… Cormac Ryan will be in attendance as well (and I’d expect him to get offered)… not sure if Easley grabs an offer.

1 Like

But he seems to be running through the door to attend Michigan! (Sarcasm font)

Another tweet from Quinn - bringing some solid recruiting updates.

Brendan F. QuinnVerified account
‏@BFQuinn
Top-150 PF Thomas Kithier (Macomb, MI) tells @MLive he’ll attend Michigan’s Elite Camp on Aug. 6. Still looking for a U-M scholarship offer.

He also tweeted that Easley has offers from Purdue, Indiana and Butler but really wants UM offer.

I’m a big fan of Easley. Hope he gets the offer

Kithier to MSU.

Interesting to happen right before the Elite Camp, really curious if Easley gets an offer.

I would think this takes them out of the running for Brandon Johns, though? MSU wouldn’t take 2 guys at the “4” spot in the Class of '18, correct?

Michigan is the favorite for Johns.

2 Likes

I had always assumed we projected Kithier as a five, but it seems like he’s too short for that. If so, I don’t really see how he would be a fit for us.

He would be great for the GRIII role. He appears to have the strength and athleticism.

I’m really drawn to Easley too…I love when kids call Michigan their dream school.

I mean, he has offers from Indiana, Butler, and Purdue - all right there in his backyard. And he loves Michigan. I hope it works out for him to get to Ann Arbor.

What positions are our biggest need in the 18 class? Believe we have 2 ships as of right now, figure potentially one more opens up?

Assuming we add 2 wings to finish off the '17 class I would guess JB will look to add another 2 guard and possibly another wing that can play some 4. We graduate MAAR and will have a second year Poole as a likely starting SG. DJ Wilson will either be a 5th year senior or given a firm handshake. Behind him we will only have some 2nd year guy from '17 at the 4.

JB has been looking at some 5s, but unless there is some attrition from Wagner, Teske and Davis I don’t think we will need another 5.

1 Like

Yeah the only way I see is taking a 5 is if our current trio is an utter disaster which is unlikely but still a possibility. If it’s true that the coaches view Brooks as a combo guard and not a pure PG and we miss out on Eastern then I could see us taking a PG or a taller combo guard playmaker type.

The only way I see the 5’s being an “utter disaster” is through injuries. If Teske and Davis stay healthy, they will be good players (eventually) in the role they are given.

If Mo can’t get his fouls to an acceptable level and one of the incoming freshmen doesn’t pan out then it’s not a bad idea to get another 5. I mean in my comment I said it was unlikely…

Key 2018 visitor

I’ll give you guys this piece of info - Dwayne Cohill is not a lock to OSU by any means. He is SERIOUS about his interest in UM.

5 Likes