2018 Recruiting Notes

I like Carmody too – skill set looks exceptionally polished for his class and seems to relish contact. Great looking quick-release jumper but by no means a player who “settles” for jumpers if he can take it inside. Going just by highlights, still not completely sold on Easley – think we need more athleticism/finishing ability at that position, but it’s early.

1 Like

ESPN’s 2018 Rankings

• Brandon Johns 33
  • Robby Carmody 47
  • Darius Bazley 38
  • Tim Finke 37,

At least ESPN got it right with Bazley, he’s definitely approaching elite IMO. Just don’t understand why the coaching staff has not pursued him. Quite frankly, based on what I’ve seen, Bazley is a much better looking prospect in relation to Johns. Granted, Johns plays 17u whereas Bazley plays 16u, which certainly makes a difference, Johns just hasn’t been all that impressive IMO.

Easley a 4 star, in the 60-100 range

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/207553/kevin-easley

Scout’s 2018 rankings are out
http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/2018-basketball-prospects

Brandon Johns at 49, Dwayne Cohill at 55, Robby Carmody at 57, Tim Finke at 48

Kevin Easley is a 3-star.

1 Like

Camped at Michigan last year but interest had kind of fizzled. Not sure if there would be more as a 2018.

Has anybody seen class of '18 guard Cormac Ryan live? I really, really like his film–IMO, he would be on the same level with Robby Carmody (top 50-60 player) based off the film–he has been mentioned here, and he has an ACC offer (BC) and interest from Michigan, Notre Dame and Stanford, but he’s not even in data bases much less rated by the national services. Am I missing something?

His highlights look pretty good but IMO he’s nowhere near Carmody in talent.

Boy, I don’t know. He’s certainly not as athletic as Carmody, though he’s not a bad athlete, but to me, he’s got the ball skills and passing ability of a PG or at least a combo (Carmody is a straight 2), and his shot is pure. Don’t get me wrong–I love Carmody’s game–I’m just saying that I think that if you looked at side-by-side highlight films without knowing who either was or how either was ranked, you’d think they were the same level player.

I just called my law school roommate who is a rabid college basketball fan (Illinois grad) and who has gone to a ton of high school games and written scouting reports for an Illinois site. Illinois is not involved with either guy and he was unfamiliar with them. I asked him to look at the film without familiarizing himself further with either and give me his view. I’ll post his comments, whether he agrees or disagrees with me, when he calls me back.

1 Like

Recent write up on Ryan. He plays for Duncan Robinson’s AAU team as well.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/news/s16-all-tournament-team-varsity-division-1

Cormac Ryan, Middlesex Magic – Simply put, Ryan may have been the best player to take the court this weekend. He made an impact on both sides of the ball, fits into Mike Crotty’s system perfectly, and showed off his wide array of offensive weapons. Ryan’s game is mature in the sense that he trusts his teammates and doesn’t force anything offensively. At no point this weekend did he seem content to take a few plays off while his teammates went to work. Instead, he seemed to realize his job at different points in games and willingly moved without the basketball, set screens, and made extra passes without hesitation. When he was the focal point of the Magic’s offense he was lethal. Ryan handles the ball well, has the required length/strength/athleticism combo to finish at or above the rim, can stroke it from distance, and is also a creative and pinpoint passer, which explains some college coaches’ desire to play him as a big point guard at the next level.

OK, I just heard back from my friend. His comments (close to verbatim, but not exact):

It depends on what you’re looking for. Carmody has great hops, is explosive with a quick first step, and is a very good shooter, but he’s a 2 or a 3, not a 1, because his ball skills, while good, are not at a 1 level. Ryan is an OK athlete with great ball skills who could play 1 or 2–he’s a bit slow for a typical 1, but he has good size and he’s a very good shooter (marginally better than Carmody, but not enough to matter). Ryan reminds of Kevin Huerter–needs to get stronger. Both would be low 4* top 80-100. Would be happy if either committed tomorrow.

Take it FWIW.

I loved Ryan’s film the first time I saw it. Have to assume he’s someone we’ll look at

I like Ryan. First person to come to mind physically was Kirk Hinrich, then watching film he’s very good skill wise. Love his shot. I like guys who can dribble hard to their shooting hand, pull up sharply, and hit a jumper. Ryan can do this.
Spike Albrecht’s HS filmed jumped out to me because he was excellent driving hard right and pulling up for a jumper. Done correctly it’s an extremely difficult shot to defend. I think Ryan shows potential on pull ups, especially with 2 years of HS left.

I see some Stauskas in his film. The creative finishes on drives, cross overs into a step back J, nice release on the three pointers, some nifty passes. Only a soph, so he could grow and develop as he gets stronger.

I’m assuming he means top 5 for the state of Michigan?

Yes, that’s correct.

Elite 100 Roster… One of the best camps for underclassmen so a lot of notable 2018/2019 names here.

Of the in-state names on that list, I don’t believe I’ve heard of Bryce Washington. @MattD one to watch?

Is there another fifty on that list somewhere?

1 Like