2018 Recruiting Notes

I’ve known Dave for a few years, and I think its safe to say that if UM offers, Dave will be on board in 18. Quite frankly, he doesn’t even mind me saying that.

Seems like a great kid. What are your thoughts? Is he a guy who eventually gets an offer or do you see him as a plan B type?

Dave is an extremely productive player, even if his game isn’t flashy. Generally speaking, once Dave gets you on his hip, he’s going to generate something good, he’s one of the strongest PGs at that age that I’ve seen. Unfortunately, he hasn’t grown much, which is the thing that’s holding him back IMO. Dave absolutely abuses kids like Foster Loyer when they matchup, and every time you look at the box score he puts up a nice stat line. With regard to UM, obviously he would be a plan B guy at this point. Seems like the staff is exploring all their 17 options before getting serious with guys like Dave or Wade.

I actually really like him. Almost because he’s not flashy. He reminds me of x almost. Just pure pg who get things done. Reminds me of a shorter billy Edelin. Or Andre miller. I love that he posts up and hits turnarounds. I’m not so sure he should be a plan b. Unless we have some big time options

Brandon Johns - has visited campus several times, very likely to be offered in a few weeks

We spoke with Race a few weeks back

I had the opportunity to play against Race this past year. He has a ton of physical tools and a few games I scouted, he was dominant. He didn’t do much of anything against us and had a very bad attitude. I was expecting him to do more but he had very poor body language and we ended up beating his team by 35. As far as a player comparison, I’d say he is similar to Reid Travis, another MN athlete, that is now at Stanford. Race can shoot it better but Reid a little more explosive and has a better motor.

I have a feeling he isn’t leaving MN though. He has been offered by the MN staff, his dad played football there, and his older brother is walking on to the football team.

I actually coached against the two other players as well. Jarvis Thomas is an athletic freak with very little ball skills and would be much better suited as a low post 4 that is super explosive but he wants to play on the wing, and he isn’t a wing. I have a feeling he isn’t the type of kid Beilein would want in the program. Transferred high schools immediately after the season ended because he wanted to be “the man” at a new high school. He then changed AAU teams immediately after the April period because he wasn’t given the ball enough.

Calvin Wishert is a solid PG but isn’t close to high major PG. Don’t get me wrong, he is good but not THAT good. He actually got a “T” early in the first half of our game and his coach sat him for an extended period to prove a point. Him not playing really hurt them and we beat them by 20.

One of my former players (I just got a head job after being an assistant for three years) is on this D1MN team and they are doing really well this spring and did really well last year in the 15U division.

1 Like
3 Likes

I’ve mentioned the name here before, but Darius Bazley is a kid that I think is probably a top 25-50 type kid. He was extremely impressive this weekend. I’m actually shocked UM has not shown interest. Midwest kid, out of Cincinnati, really versatile kid with a great skillset. Really hoping UM gets involved and pushes hard, his recruitment has gone largely under the radar until now (just picked up a Florida offer yesterday). I’m telling you this kid has elite, NBA, potential.

1 Like

You posted a video of him right? At this point I’m forgetting/ getting certain kids mixed up.

Don’t remember if I posted the highlights here because he’s not getting UM interest

Pretty impressive. If he fills out…beast.

Yes I remember him now. Might have looked him up but I remember seeing him. Tall and real lanky, hard to forget

Yeah I posted that here about a year ago. I’ve done more recent highlights on him. Give me a few mins

Impressed by Race Thompson’s tape. Athletic and high basketball IQ, sweet jumper. Some really nice passing to cutters and spot up shooters.

This is a highlight clip I put together of Bazley a few months back at the Michigan Invitational. His ball skills at a legit 6’8 are ridiculous. Kid has Lamar Odom written all over him

EYBL Highlights of UM target Justin Ahrens from this past weekend in Atlanta. He’s definitely improved his handle a bit. His court vision is great, that is a consistent part of his game in addition to shooting.