2018 - PG - David DeJulius (Commit)

Not sure how high school awards work, is that Mr. Basketball or just an independent thing?

Independent I believe. More often than not though in recent history they are given to the same player.

2017 - Isaiah Livers won both
2016 - Cassius Winston won both
2015 - Deyonta Davis won both
2014 - Yante Maten was GPOY and Deshaun Thrower was Mr. Basketball
2013 - Derrick Walton was GPOY and Monte Morris was Mr. Basketball
2012 - Matt Costello won both

Itā€™s a different award than Mr. Basketball, but as Buckets said below, oftentimes the same player wins both. With DDā€™s team being out, Iā€™m guessing Loyer has the upper hand on the Mr. Basketball Award, but Iā€™m still holding out hope for Brandon Johns. Donā€™t know if the coaching fiasco in East Lansing will have any effect on that.

I wouldnā€™t think that would impact peopleā€™s decision on Johns, at least not negatively.

Not trying to side track the thread but Yante Maten was extremely under rated coming out of HS. No idea how a big man who was a polished product in HS could get overlooked by Big Ten teams like he did. Had a nice career at Georgia. His size probably doesnā€™t translate into an NBA career but Iā€™d think he gets a shot with a team this summer.

1 Like

No, I would certainly hope not, but not sure how far EL will go in the tournament with the coaching upheaval.

I see your point. Iā€™m pretty sure the voting ends a week before the announcement of the winner. So Monday would be the cut off. East Lansing plays a .500 Waverly team on Friday for the district title but they barely beat them just recently, right after the Finnamore stuff went down. Could be a close game again.

I could see Johns getting some votes from people wanting to show support for Finamore.

1 Like
1 Like

Johns finished 2nd in voting, Dejulius 3rd. Both 1,000 points back

Loyer, a 6-foot point guard with a 3.96 grade-point average who signed with Michigan State, received twice as many first-place votes from members of the Basketball Coaches Association of Michigan as any of the five finalists, totaling 3,691 points.

East Lansingā€™s Brandon Johns (2,792 points) and Detroit East Englishā€™s Villageā€™s David DeJulius (2,542), who both signed with Michigan, finished second and third.

Use it as motivation.

3 Likes

Vote not even remotely close.

Michigan Mr. Basketball: Clarkstonā€™s Foster Loyer wins in runaway vote

1 Like

Wow! This Loyer kid must be one helluva player to get so many votes from BCAM members, 90% of whom have probably never seen him play! :smile: It really will be interesting to see how he does head to head against DD when the two meet at the college level! I mean heā€™s got to dominate DD, right? :rofl:

1 Like

Loyer is a great player and tremendous student. He embodies all that is good about HS athletics.

The fact that he ranks so highly in the MHSAA record book and has already won a State class A championship is a testament to his work ethic and drive.

The kid has had a storied career at a great big time school.

Whether his HS exploits transfer to the next level is open for legitimate concern and debate.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™ve got no issues with Loyer winning. Heā€™s deserving.
I will say Johns, DeJulius, didnā€™t have a chance of overcoming Loyerā€™s tremendous advantage heading into the season. Kudos to Loyer.

Itā€™s pretty sad for the other students competing that Michiganā€™s Mr. Basketball seems to be a lifetime achievement award.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s the criterion I have no problem with that. And it probably shouldnā€™t be about who projects better at the next level(s).

5 Likes