2018 - PG - David DeJulius (Commit)

I just don’t think he will be ahead of Eli who already had a year here.

Didn’t MattD used to wax on and on about Brooks’s ability to shoot off the dribble?

DeJulius is one of the best off the dribble shooters in the class. Both in high school and EYBL play. That ability is legit.

Brooks showed some of that ability, but not nearly as much as DeJulius. Brooks also played significantly worse competition.
Off the dribble shooting is basically what DeJulius does. The video shows that and the numbers show that.

There will be some refining required… a good off the dribble jumper is different at a prep level than Division I, but the ability is there and this roster desperately lacks it.

6 Likes

DeJulius looks great off the dribble in high school, and the competition level makes it more likely to translate to the college level. But was I wrong that there was a lot of talk about Brooks’s ability in that regard, including by some infamous skeptics?

Yeah, I think you are. AFAIK MattD was never a fan of Brooks. Brooks could shoot it in HS/AAU, but obviously has struggled to adjust to the college game.

1 Like

He came around at the end.

1 Like

I knew I didn’t dream this. Here are some relevant quotes from the Brooks thread:

Not really sure why it matters (or how it relates to DeJulius), but I always just assumed that stretch of posts was passive aggressive sarcasm.

9 Likes

Must have been his buddy typing…

3 Likes

That was a mystery at the time, but passive aggression would’ve been contrary to all his other behavior, which was never passive.

Anyway, it only matters in the sense that (1) translating HS to college isn’t always smooth for all sorts of reasons, and (2) it might be too early to give up on Brooks.

4 Likes

Brooks never played EYBL, and his high school comp was downright awful.

Different athletes in the B1G when it comes to getting where you want to go with your dribble.

I just don’t see a scenario where DeJulius isn’t a roatation player next year. JB loves shooters, and Zavier and Eli can’t shoot.

Just think that they are different situations, sample sizes, etc. DeJulius might not solve Michigan’s PG issues, but he’ll help.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m hopeful that DeJulius will help here. I also think more minutes (and experience) for Poole will be a big factor. And Matthews has shown some abilities that may be more consistent next year, and maybe Iggy can provide some help too. (And we’ll see if Brooks can show improvement.) Definitely an area that needs to be better, and DeJulius hopefully is one source.

MattD will always have quotes to show he was right about Eli Brooks, regardless of what transpires; MattD was all over the map on Brooks.

1 Like

It was lol.

Final warning on this MattD talk, waste of comments in this thread. Let’s stick to DeJulius in here.

2 Likes

Eli can shoot. Just hasn’t well yet this season.

4 Likes

There will be an adjustment for DeJulius. I expect Brooks to shoot much better next year especially after camp Sanderson adds some much needed strength. His shot is not broken like Zavier’s.

1 Like

Eli barely sees the floor anymore. He shot poorly when he was the starter and absolutely abysmal from three. He hasn’t even scored in almost two months.

His initial resume was that he was a “potential” 3 point sniper in waiting. I’m still waiting …

There’s nothing off his performance this year that remotely indicates he is even an average shooter going forward.

Could that change? Potentially yes. But he’s not shooting over HS midgets anymore.

My gosh the kid is 17-57 from the field overall, and 10-39 from three. 10-39!!

The shots Eli has taken from 3 this year have been largely uncontested so has nothing to do with the size of the defender. He and Livers both missed a lot of open looks early. Livers finally broke out. Brooks lost minutes and looked like he started pressing.
He has to prove he can do it in the big stage.

2 Likes