2018 - PG - David DeJulius (Commit)

https://twitter.com/daviddejulius/status/868595781627912192

EYBL Session 4 ( LA ) shooting stats for DeJulius:

24-61 overall from field
7-21 from three

I just don’t see DeJulius as being a top 100 kid in this class. Marginal quicks and athleticism, plus he has never seen a shot he doesn’t like.

Needs to desperately learn what a good shot attempt is going forward.

1 Like

He’s a strong guard and not sure you can measure toughness which I think Dejulius has plus he can create his shot and has proven he can distribute. I don’t think you can go by what happens in aau where guards dominate and he has to carry his team.

Understand that you aren’t high on Dave, but I really think he is a good fit. You need a tough shot maker at that position and DeJulius takes (and makes a lot of tough shots). He passes the ball well and can control a game.

Will he need to improve on consistency and shot selection at times? Is he probably never going to rise that high in the rankings because he isn’t an overwhelming athlete? Yep. But he can play and will fit great in Michigan’s system.

(BTW, I guess in a way I am agreeing you because I don’t really see him ending up as a top-100 kid.)

2 Likes

That’s the hope. Think the kid is really going to have difficulty adjusting to limited shot attempts at the next level.

Not unusual for high volume HS shooters, but his game is predicated on having a lot of attempts. How efficient will he be going forward in limited opportunities?

I’d feel different if I felt he could get to the rim effectively, but I’m not seeing that for him in college.

https://twitter.com/DavidDejulius/status/880218865992683520

2 Likes

The thing is he won’t have to take bad shots at the next level and Beilein won’t allow it. His job won’t be to score 15-20ppg.

He’s going to learn how to perfect PnR play, penetrate off of it and/or take the floater/J or kick it out to Johns/Poole/Brooks etc… He’s perfect for that type of game. He’ll hit the occasional 3, and is talented enough to hold his own.

A players shot tendencies/height/reach/stature at the PG spot going from HS/AAU to college are completely overblown, especially in a system like Beilein’s. It’s why Burke was an AA, Spike was a featured player at times & when Walton was healthy could have been the best PG in the B1G. DeJulius will be fine. To me he’s a top 85-95 kid. Just MO.

6 Likes

I’m more worried about what he will look like on the defensive side of the floor. Will he be dominated by bigger guards AND get punked by more athletic guards his size? Or, will he benefit from our excellent S+C, hold his own against big guards and be able to handle Evans (OK ST) caliber athletes ala Derrick Walton. While he may not quite be undersized at his position, most players his size usually have a touch more athleticism at the high D-1 level–so it gives me some pause on the defensive side. Hopefully he won’t need to play too much right away with Simpson in year 3 and presumably putting his game together.

1 Like

I, too, worry less about his shot selection going forward than how effective will be his learning and running PnR. A certain level of aggressiveness is necessary at his position, as long as he also gets his teammate involved. He will have time to sharpen his craft, both Poole and Brooks are able to share duty at 1.

One thing to keep in mind is that he doesn’t need to be ready right away. There are plenty of other options in front of him including Brooks, Poole, and Simpson at the 1 and 2. I’ve been impressed with his film, although I’ve never watched a complete game.

The more I’m thinking about it, the roster for years down the line is shaping up to be really really nice on the wings. Poole, Matthews, Livers, Johns, (insert one of Tyson, Hunter or Ignas) is quite a versatile group on the wings. The biggest question marks in my mind are the PG and C spots. I like X and DeJulius on paper a lot, but can one of them solidify themselves as a potential all big ten guy to take this team to an even higher level? Brooks is another wild card to me as well. And whenever Moe decides to make the jump, I’m personally not super high on any of Davis, Teske, Currie. But in general I think the staff is on their way to assembling a collection of wings that could mirror up to the Stauskas, Levert, Robinson, Hardaway days. From the film I’ve seen, DeJulius could be the guy to take us over the top.

http://www.mlive.com/sports/detroit/2017/07/meet_michigan_pg_commit_david.html

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/11/preseason-mr-basketball-candidate-david-dejulius/

Not sure how many of you guys are subscribed to Prep Hoops Michigan, but here is a article I just did on David DeJulius.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/daviddejulius/status/935954433481027591

If anyone wants to go watch Michigan commit David Dejulius, here is his schedule for this season. Also, East English is probably the 2nd most talented team in Michigan. At worst top 5 overal in the state. Got at least 3 or 4 other kids, maybe more that will play d1 or d2 basketball after high school. I’ll post Brandon johns schedule as well in case people want to go check him or Dave out in Michigan this year.

3 Likes
5 Likes

Rashad Phillips is perhaps the greatest guard to ever come out of U of D Mercy. High praise.

2 Likes

I just watched “David Dejulius Determined Series: The road to mr. basketball”. Impressive kid!

JB just has a knack for finding really great young people to join the program.

2 Likes