2018/2019 - Big - Taylor Currie (Wisconsin Commit)

In the past, under Beilein, it was pretty clear cut and obvious which players were at the top of the roster and which players were destined to be practice players. We are now assembling real depth. At least some very good players seem willing to come here even if immediate playing time is not a foregone conclusion for them. Hell, with the way things are going I think it is possible that some really good players could not see much playing time for a couple of years. I think some of us fans, myself included, will experience some adjustment period as we feel our way through the ethics of a new scenarioā€¦As long as the coaches approach the expectations and predicted lineups with transparency, then it will all work out in the end for the team and the players. This might be the best thing for Currie. Another player might transfer out and that might be the right thing for himā€¦This kind of depth and the new considerations that depth brings is just a new experience for us as fansā€¦

1 Like

I could be the only one, but I worry that it might not be quite as much fun when we are no longer overcoming such monumental odds. Seriously. I know some fans just want to win, or to beat the spread. But to me that removes the drama. I like winning as the underdog, broken-hearted when we lose, secure in the moral superiority and canny cleverness of our coaching when we win.

I think weā€™re a ways away from that still lol. Once we get on a conference championship streak like Kansas maybe Iā€™ll feel that wayā€¦ but probably not

1 Like

Yeah, it does seem like the reclassifying thing mightā€™ve hashed stuff up, but not in a way that indicates Beilein did anything untoward. Beilein offered him as a '19. Currie committed. Then Currie considered reclassifying and got excited about coming to UM a year early. JB thought it ā€œwas great,ā€ but I bet he also had some cautionary language that Currie wasnā€™t paying much attention to. Currie decides to do it and gets excited. JB sees the options working out and realizes itā€™s better for UM to have Currie as a '19. Currie now doesnā€™t want to reclassify back and also sees the possibility of Castleton being a year ahead, not to mention the PFs. There you have itā€¦

"Currie said he and Beilein broached the possibility of reclassifying after Currie pledged his original commitment. They explored the option and realized that it was feasible.

ā€œI knew it was a possibility, but we werenā€™t sure,ā€ he said.

Ultimately, Currie choose to bypass a fourth year of high school ā€œbecause the possibility of coming in early and getting a head start on my development was too much to pass up.ā€

Beilein, according to Currie, thought the option of reclassifying ā€œwas great.ā€"

We also have to consider the fact that Currie was a Jeff Meyer recruit. You have to give the new guy Yaklich every opportunity to make his mark and earn his bonus.

I bet Meyer and Currie will be talking.

2 Likes

Yea Iā€™m with Dylan in thinking the reclamation didnā€™t make much sense at the time. It seemed like a rushed decision and one that didnā€™t really help Michigan. In any event, if we land CC he will be in much better position to help us in 2018.

Not Snow, but Sam Webb had some more info on Scout today.

Currieā€™s 2019 offer is very much still on the table if he wants it. It was NOT Michiganā€™s idea for him to reclassify. Says Michigan is honoring their original offer of being in that class, not ā€œprocessingā€ him.

10 Likes

Thatā€™s pretty much what I assumed had happened. Curie wants to be a 2018 kid but we recruited him as a 2019. We probably said ok to 2019 originally but it was contingent upon space being available which no longer looks to be the case. Iā€™m totally fine with how the staff has handled this.

1 Like

If we take CC and Nunez for 2018, that will also fill us up for 2019. Maybe he doesnā€™t want to wait to see if there is any attrition to open up a spot.

2 Likes

Well this just seems too logicalā€¦

4 Likes

Just what we need. A Wisky big man with a Michigan chip on his shoulder. That should work out well for us.

6 Likes

No need fore a chip, as far as we know, he still has a UM offer for 2019.

Him being a handful for us at Wisconsin for 4 years is exactly how Iā€™ve seen this going down from the moment he wasnā€™t in '18. Now, Iā€™ve read enough that I donā€™t think we did much, if anything, wrong with how we handled this, but a kid is going to perceive it very differently. Wishing heā€™d end up somewhere more like Butlerā€¦

2 Likes

for 2018 class?

All of his retweets say 2018.

Seems like haircut destiny.

2 Likes

Teee-riffic.

You know this guyā€™s going to be a pain in our ass for about 4 years after a redshirt.

1 Like

Yes, unfortunately Wisconsin seems to be able to keep all of their top quality guys for 4 years, without much if any worry of their leaving early, while ours bolt at the first hint of possibly being drafted.

1 Like

Castleton and Currie will be obvious benchmarks for each other (at least for UM fans and probably Currie), but it will be even more so if he stays in the Big Ten.