2017 Recruiting Notes

Haven’t seen Christian David in person so tough to judge. But there’s a lot to like in Huerter’s game. Still so early in the process though that I don’t think you have to worry about either-or scenarios yet.

I was just seeing what people’s opinions were. I haven’t watched many highlights of either, but have liked what I’ve seen.

Nice highlights of David. If you could choose one for the 2017 class - David or a reclassified Huerter - who would you choose?

Also, it seems Michigan is looking at a couple diminutive, good, true PGs in 2017 - Jermaine Jackson and Tremont Waters. I think this is a good strategy. They’ll obviously need another PG after losing Albrecht and Walton in consecutive seasons. At first glance, you wouldn’t think that talented kids would want to be a year behind whoever we get in 2016, but looking at it more closely, they would probably either feel they could compete with whoever we got as a true point or play alongside them if it’s a combo guard like Brown, Goodin, or Langford. Plus, these guys probably won’t expect to be one-and-dones and might value the chance to hone their skills against other good guards in practice.

The diminutive PGs could also grow a few inches by 2017. Jackson’s dad is 6’4". So might as well recruit them early, nothing to lose.

Greg Floyd is visiting tomorrow for the elite camp, surprised this isn’t getting more attention. He is highly regarded and i would guess has major interest in UM to visit on his own.

Excited to check him out at camp today @gowolverines8

Washington St John TCU Oklahoma Oklahoma State Michigan Michigan st all reached out to 2017 F Billy Preston (@nolimitbill) last night.

— Hoop DFW (@hoopdfw) June 15, 2015

Will have a full update on Christian David tomorrow. Spoke with him tonight about camp, his visit, June 15th, etc.

No Michigan offer yet, but Beilein told him that they’ll be watching him closely.

Will have a full update on Christian David tomorrow. Spoke with him tonight about camp, his visit, June 15th, etc.

No Michigan offer yet, but Beilein told him that they’ll be watching him closely.

I haven’t been following 2017 recruiting very closely at all, but just based on his tape, fit with the offense, etc, he was one guy I thought would have gotten an offer on the 15th.

Definitely like his fit in terms of skillset and game at the wing guard spot. Just think they want to watch him (and most of the other 2017s) a little bit more this summer.

No rush. One has to consider attrition and the possibility of bringing in The Joshes, Josh Langford/Josh Jackson into the fold. Just a thought.

I haven’t been following 2017 recruiting very closely at all, but just based on his tape, fit with the offense, etc, he was one guy I thought would have gotten an offer on the 15th.

Josh Jackson? You kidding?

Josh Jackson is not considering Michigan. I would also set the over under of “years of college basketball played by Josh Jackson” at 0.5 – meaning he’ll most likely only affect class of 2016 recruiting wherever he goes.

No rush. One has to consider attrition and the possibility of bringing in The Joshes, Josh Langford/Josh Jackson into the fold. Just a thought.

How many times do we have to go over that Josh Jackson is not consideringn Michigan, nor was Beilein considering Josh Jackson. WAYYYYYY too many red flags in that recruitment.

There is a better chance that Steve Fisher is rehired by Michigan than there is of Josh Jackson coming here.

Hope they’re still going hard after Langford though. I think he’s the most game-changing recruit on their current radar, after Murray.

Michigan reached out to '17 Massillon Jackson SF Kyle Young tonight per his AAU coach.

— Corey Albertson (@Corey_Albertson) June 23, 2015

Jermaine Jackson Jr.'s dad named assistant coach at U of D http://www.detroittitans.com/news/2015/6/25/MBB_0625153928.aspx

Could Jaren Jackson be the first offer in 2017?

@Balas_Wolverine: Where things stand with Tyus Battle. Plus, Michigan hosts top junior Jaren Jackson of Indianapolis Park Tudor ($): http://t.co/UIGECAbuIS

Could Jaren Jackson be the first offer in 2017?

@Balas_Wolverine: Where things stand with Tyus Battle. Plus, Michigan hosts top junior Jaren Jackson of Indianapolis Park Tudor ($): http://michigan.forums.rivals.com/threads/hoops-recruiting-where-things-stand-with-battle-more.30444/

Not familiar with him, but right now my money would still be on Christian David getting an offer early/possibly first because there has been mutual interest up until now.

Wasn’t quite expecting that for 2017, especially after our 2016 bad luck up to now… We shall see what really happens. But I’m liking how people are viewing our great program and University now.

In an unprecedented conference call today, the entire 247 Top 50 of the 2017 men’s basketball recruiting class announced that Michigan would finish second in its recruitment. Speaking for the group, power forward Wendell Carter, Jr. of Atlanta said that Michigan combined “top-flight academics, player development, and recent success” to make it the consensus runner up for the entire Top 50.

“When you look at what they’ve done with guys like Trey Burke, Darius Morris, and Tim Hardaway, you know this is the place you want to very nearly go to school,” said point guard Trevon Duval of Newark, New Jersey. “I mean, in theory, they could take a guy like me and make me a top five pick.”

Today’s announcement came after the players met at various camps and realized they all held Michigan in equal esteem. Shooting Guard D.J. Harvey of Hyattsville, Maryland explained how it happened: “We all got to texting and realized, hey, Michigan and Coach Beilein have sent seven guys to the NBA despite having no McDonald’s All-Americans. And it’s a near-Ivy League school too! Who wouldn’t want to strongly consider going there but then pick someone else? We decided we might as well get some of this recruiting craziness over with and announce today that Michigan will be our No. 2.”

When asked for more detail about how they came to almost choose Michigan, players pointed to the academic support provided on campus in Ann Arbor, the “offensive genius” of John Beilein, and even the recent addition of Nike as Michigan’s team apparel provider. A number of parents of the players, who were also available for interviews, said they trusted the integrity of the Michigan coaching staff more than any other staff they had encountered. Said one parent: “Their trustworthiness is a real selling point. I have no problem with my son using Michigan as a back-up.”

When pressed as to why they didn’t want to commit to Michigan, recruits mentioned the recent national success of teams like Duke, the NBA draft success of players from places like Kentucky, the cold weather in Ann Arbor, and in the case of one player, “I just threw a dart at a board, and it hit ‘Gonzaga.’” A handful of players also referenced jobs their parents recently obtained on the campuses of other schools, “transportation alternatives” that were not available at Michigan, and the apparent fact that there are many more lost wallets filled with $100 bills that no one ever claims on some campuses than there are in Ann Arbor.