2017 Recruiting Notes

New 17 PG on the board - Zack Dawson. We had a chance to watch him play in Hampton, more impressed with him than either West or Roberts. - ‘The coach I talked to from Michigan was Coach Saddi Washington. They have very high interest. When I was talked about and placed on their board, everyone was very enthused.’

6’3" - 6’4" and athletic? If we take a point guard in 2017, that’s the type of point guard I’d want.

Is Louisville considered the favorite?

3 Likes

At this point, the ‘experts’ seem to think so. I think he has legit interest in UM, we’ll see how it shakes out.

I’d prefer a bigger guard as well. Poole-Dawson- 2 of Cain/Young/Tillman sounds pretty good to me.

via GIPHY

You guys think he looked better than Roberts? He looked solid but I guess I’m surprised he’s that sought after. Then again he’s putting up numbers so maybe that film isn’t doing him justice.

Mattd did you see that video I posted?

Just based off those films I like Roberts more still. I understand he’s short like x but Roberts is so quick and his handle is tighter. You can’t keep him out of the lane.

Roberts also seemed to have less guys after him. Not saying that should scare us away but I think we could out recruit DePaul.

Roberts displayed a bit of loose handle vs Oakland Soldiers when I was in Hampton. Dawson’s handle a bit loose as well, but has better change of direction, and much better finishing ability. Advanced stats say Dawson is exponentially better than Roberts FWIW.

1 Like

Really? From the two videos off of YouTube I’ve seen of Roberts his handle is super tight. He’s also crazy quick. It surprises me Dawson’s change of direction is better. I was literally going to post Roberts seems to have better body control and ability to stop on a dime. You took the words out of my mouth but the opposite direction.i could see Dawson finishing better but it looked to me that Roberts had a better mid range game. Granted all I got are YouTube videos.

We agree for once.

1 Like

Any video of Anthony Gaines yet. I can’t find anything really,

Sly - Dawson has an assist rate of 40%, which is ridiculous, vs a TO rate of only 9.6%. Steal rate of 3.7%, shooting 27% from distance (compared to 18 for Roberts). Based on what I’ve seen in live evaluations, in addition to the metrics, I don’t think there is any question that Dawson>Roberts, and to be honest, I don’t think its particularly close.

1 Like

I’ll see what I can get for you next week in Atlanta

MattD I have to say I have really enjoyed the player interviews and specifically how you set them up before going into the recruiting questions. You get a good feel for how well rounded the youngsters are and what their thought process will be going forward. Of course the video highlights give some context to their game. I really like what you are doing.

2 Likes

Thanks, much appreciated.

Based on recent interest, I think JB has realized he has to sacrifice shooting and add athleticism in order to upgrade the roster. Cohill, Baruti, Carmody, Dawson, Tillman, Cain are all above average/plus athletes. Personally, I love to see it and hope JB is able to land a few of these guys to mix with the existing shooters.

4 Likes

Did I just hear a collective “AMEN”?

Donnie just told me Cal offered. No doubt in my mind he is the most underrated out of all the prospects on our board. I suspect that will change soon

Do you think we would have a much better chance at getting Tillamn, than Young, if we put the full press on him as our 4 of the future?

Yes, I think Donnie would have serious interest

Speaking solely on tape/type of each players’ game, I’d still much prefer Young. But a bird in the hand… and Donnie is obviously too good to be considered a “consolation prize.”

1 Like