2017 Recruiting Notes

Matt, I may have missed it, but have you had a chance to see much of Isaiah Livers live while at eybl? I’ve only seen tape, and limited tape at that. He seems very fluid and bouncy with some perimeter skills–not the athlete Tillman is or the shooter Young is, but a good all around player. While I hate to bring up this name (one of my five least favorite Michigan players ever, and he’d be battling for the top spot), he looks a bit like Mo Taylor–not as big or talented (Mo did play in the NBA for almost a decade), but that kind of game.

If you’ve seen him much, how would you evaluate Livers vis-à-vis Tillman and Young?

I guess the real test is if Jackson would commit to Michigan. I have no doubt that other coaches during the year kept in touch more with Jackson. Can Beilein make up for not keeping in touch with a recruit over 5-6 months? It’s not like he’s the only coach concentrating on his team during the year but those coaches I am sure called more than Beilein. I think the other issue is I don’t believe this is just the line of Beilein not kissing ass, this is actually keeping in touch with a player.

I guess we will see how 2017 turns out by with a comment like that, limited amount of offers out there I am not sure things are necessarily changing at this moment.

2 Likes

I’ve watched Livers passively in a few games. The first thing that stood out to me was his midrange jumper, very good elbow shooter. Not an athlete on the level of Tillman in terms of strength and verticality, doesn’t have the range of Young, but looks like he could be a decent college player. I’d say he’s an above average athlete, that is pretty fluid, average rebounder, good midrange jumpshooter. Definitely think he’s worth maintaining interest with.

That’s fair, though given Jackson’s ties to the DC area and the fact that he’s blowing up this spring, it’s possible that JB could have called every day and still not signed him. Still, he’s handicapping himself which I don’t think is a good thing.

I don’t equate few offers with not calling enough. The latter, I think is a clear weakness. The former I think is a straw man. Let’s face facts–even those of us who strongly support Beilein recognize that he’s not a charismatic recruiter, especially in non face-to-face situations. Showering offers would, IMO, take away one thing he does well in recruiting–force recruits to spend time with him one-on-one on campus where he’s good–and put him amongst a ton of coaches making offers without developing relationships, where he’s bad.

DC area I get, but how is “blowing up” indicative of not coming to Michigan? Is Georgetown suddenly a better program than U-M? It’s not 1985 (although in 1985 Michigan was an elite program as well).

Anyway, as you say, nothing justifies handicapping yourself by not calling – especially since he’s one of just three guys holding M offers.

Blowing up means there may be more competition from other top flight schools in addition to Georgetown and Maryland, not that it would help Georgetown or Maryland.

1 Like

I think you HAVE to include this whole quote if you are going to comment on it, so thank you for providing. The first sentence is damning, and the rest is reasonable and almost endorsing.

I think @MattD has given us enough insight that the kids truly do care about being courted (no pun intended), and I wish JB or assistants would stay in contact throughout the process, if for no other reason it keeps us on even footing with those that are reaching out more. But seems to me, if we don’t land Jackson, this would play a VERY minor reason as he seems to respect our program, style, etc. That’s what I read into it at least.

So here is a case where UM offered early, like many here have complained that Beilein doesn’t do enough, and yet he hasn’t committed. So, I guess giving out offers early isn’t a magic bullet either.

2 Likes

I think the biggest thing you said is he’s handicapping himself. One site says Michigan has offered but I am guessing that isn’t the case because it probably would be mentioned here. I don’t mean to shower everyone with offers but if you don’t keep in touch with Jackson during the year how could you ever consider bringing him in for a visit during the year? Michigan had 4 conference games on a Saturday this past season. I am sure Jackson is probably busy but for one of those weekends they could have brought him in. Jackson “if it’s accurate” offers from Maryland, Georgetown, MSU. Do you think Michigan can get one of those visits?

I have said earlier if he has to wait for an offer why even visit if he already has offers from some very good schools?

At the end of the day I don’t believe it takes a huge effort to send a text/email or make a call. I am not asking Beilein to call the guy and talk to him for 6 hours but at the very least don’t put Michigan behind the 8 ball in the contact department.

Jackson has already visited for a football game and seen a practice.He has an offer. He’s had an offer for months. He does mention it in the missing part of the quote I provided. And the quote never said the staff doesn’t stay in contact during the season, it says that Beilein himself didn’t call as much.

Look, I wish Beilein would call more, and criticism of that is very fair. But, let’s not create obstacles which don’t exist. Jackson has an offer, knows it, and has been to campus. Period. If/when Dylan sees this thread, he’ll confirm that.

3 Likes

Just for sake of completing the discussion, the reason why Georgetown is a threat is because that’s where his father played. They have a natural advantage in the recruitment, all else being equal.

Just wanted to use this film below to sort of reiterate what Dylan (and I to a certain degree) was saying a few days ago with regard to highlights not being indicative of possession by possession play - this is a highlight I put together of Lonnie Walker (17/Team Final) from EYBL session 3. I never heard of the kid before Hampton - but as I was saying above, these are the type of players that just immediately pop out at you, you know they are at an elite level instantly. This 1 minute clip was taken from a single game! The point is, unless you are a player of that level, every possession play will not look like this, you generally need to take plays over a 3-4 game weekend in order to get a solid 2 minute clip. In Walker’s case, I could’ve probably made a 4-5 minute clip if I watched 3-4 games, he’s just that good.

1 Like

Good grief guys, I leave here for 24 hours and you all go crazy.

1. Some of you need to stop bringing up the same tired points, especially immediately after your ban for doing the same thing ends.
  2. Some of you need to cool it with the 'DON’T CRITICIZE ANYONE". Everyone can say their piece and have disagreements, the point is that people will have different opinions on players, coaches and ideas. That’s pretty simple.
  3. Everyone needs to understand that your opinion isn’t the only one or isn’t the only right one.
  4. A fact is a fact, I don’t really get the Jaren Jackson discussion up above about how he might not have an offer when it has been widely reported that he has had an offer for months and there are recent quotes about him discussing how U-M doesn’t just offer everyone.

Consider this a warning for basically everyone and let’s clean it up and have actual discussion in here. And yes – make new threads for new topics, it’ll make the message board a better place.

9 Likes

I can’t echo theses sentiments enough. I come to the board (largely) to read about the various topics, and while there is plenty of useful information, so many of these threads turn into the exact same arguments between similar parties. At this point, frequent readers know how you feel about Beilein, recruiting, defense, etc etc. No need to beat a dead horse any further.

1 Like

Based on Dylan’s post above, I won’t add to the comments here other than to say I hope JB continues to evolve as a coach and recruiter.

Ummm, his dad was a star for Georgetown?

We did offer. 100%.

Video of Keith McGee. He’s reclassifying I’m pretty sure to 2017. He’s on the city rocks team right now so I don’t see how else that’s possible unless he’s going to a prep school. I know he missed some time this year for academic reasons. Chauncey Leslie’s son. 6 3 pg.

Great athlete, decent shot, solid handle, nice vision. Very under the radar,under recruited kid. He goes to a smaller suburban school in Rochester so that is one cause. I think this eybl time and his year of prep wherever should help him a lot. I know only small d one schools were looking. I think he’s better than that with potential.

WB - here’s a short highlight clip I put together of Abu Kigab from EYBL session 3

1 Like

The sample is only a game and a half, but Elliott is becoming more comfortable making plays off the dribble seemingly every week.