2017 Recruiting Notes

Anthony Gaines from City Rocks just listed us in an article that I posted in the 2017 conversation. The guy is scoring a ton and rebounding the ball, hope we are serious with him.

Matt, could Stewart be a target at PG?

Just watched Parker yesterday - take it with a grain of salt because Iā€™ve only seen him 1 game live, but I donā€™t view Parker as a PG and I think adding him would be redundant to Poole. Think Poole is a better prospect by a reasonable margin

1 Like

Forgot we were watching Parker. Looks solid but I prefer almost every other target we have named recently. Justin Roberts baby.

Ha I kinda thought that. So he goes in when their all in same area so he doesnā€™t have to travel as much outside of it. I wonder if his age plays a part. I do think his inability to land top top 25 guys is two told. A. His style and effort and b. The fact that itā€™s not a shady recruitment. If your a top 25 kid that knows heā€™s going to nba in one or two years the education probably means less to you.

Of course youā€™d prefer to go somewhere where you donā€™t have to study and you can get some type of payment for your recruitment. I donā€™t blame recruits either. If Iā€™m helping the ncaa/ college bank I donā€™t see why I canā€™t get ten or twenty racks plus some living expenses paid for.

What the ncaa needs to do is if your school gets caught paying kids or cheating at academics is give these schools tge death penalty. No exceptions. I get the kentuckys and uncs of the world make a ton of money but you need to put them on a five year ban or so to wake them up that payment and fraud is not allowed and gives unfair advantages.this or pay the kids at a u school a universal yearly stipend of five to ten racks. Anything found outside of this is death penalty. No excuses. Negligence is no excuse.

Sorry that rant was off topic but I think a lot of kids are untecruitable as theyā€™re looking to wet their beaks along with those around them. Very frustrating. Wasnā€™t a coincidence when uncle Ed was around that our classes were top ten.

Justin Roberts too right? Livers as well I believe/ hope

Yep ā€“ both of those guys as well.

Pooles big game really made me feel better as I reiterated yesterday. String of poor games started to make me wonder what was wrong that he wasnā€™t producing. His highlights are fantastic so I was confused.

Smiths production is good and his highlights were solid but there something I couldnā€™t figure out that I didnā€™t live. I prefer every other four target more including livers from what Iā€™ve seen.

Also Dylan is there a way to track stats for games on kids in the 16u and 15u games? Iā€™m still trying to figure out why this class of 19 kid on city rocks isnā€™t playing with the 17s. Theyā€™re undersized and heā€™s a big and he had a much better year last year then either Rochester kid on that team. That being said Iā€™m trying to track his performance. Iā€™ve posted his freshman year highlights a few times. He looks to me to be a better recruit then Thomas Bryant was at the same age.

Well, Iā€™m suggesting theyā€™ll unfold with Cain, Poole, and either Young or maybe they get serious about a Tillman if they canā€™t get Young or Jackson (who still is a serious target).

Are you saying those guys arenā€™t good enough? Because not only do I think they are, but for reasons Iā€™ve explained a million times before here, I donā€™t think youā€™re likely to see us being a major player for five star kids going forward, other than maybe 1-2 on a select basis. Iā€™m sure weā€™ll continue to go after guys like Scruggs and Wilkes, but the odds of landing any individual five star are low.

Youā€™d feel better about us putting the full court press on guys weā€™re unlikely to get, as opposed to focusing on other guys who we are more likely to get, even if theyā€™re not as highly rated? Iā€™m the opposite, especially when during our heyday a few years ago, we had great success with those type of kids.

Now that is a fair and fact-based criticism of JBā€™s recruiting. I think he excels in evaluation, but isnā€™t the most touchy feely guy, and doesnā€™t have that natural charisma of a Jim Harbaugh, who is awesome at all facets of recruiting.

2 Likes

Sounds good.

The Tillmon and Gaines recruitments will be interesting, and especially the Gaines recruitment. Itā€™s not just that they donā€™t shoot well from 3ā€“they donā€™t shoot at all from that distance (between them, theyā€™ve taken 5 3s in total in EYBL, making none). Beilein has had a fair number of bigs at UM and WVU who didnā€™t/donā€™t shoot from distance, though most have turned out to be utilized as 5s (as Tillmon could beā€“heā€™s bigger and stronger at this stage than Jordan Morgan was, and appears to have considerably more ball skills); however, the only wing recruit I can think of who couldnā€™t shoot at all from distance was Isaiah Sykes. MAAR, Chatman, etc. werenā€™t proficient at the 3 in high school, but there was a stroke there to analyze and work with (and MAAR was a late add to boot). It is also worth noting that Beilein did not go hard last year on Bruce Brown, who seems similar to Gaines, precisely because he was/is a terrible perimeter shooter. If Beilein actually targets guys like Gaines (and to a lesser extent, Tillmon), it will be a clear indication to me that he has broadened his net in terms of guys heā€™ll go after.

Also, Iā€™m not defending JB in any way, you can believe me on that. As a funny note, didnā€™t think Iā€™d EVER hear that on this site.

I actually think the contact portion is significantly more important to most prospects in relation to live attendance, as there are literally dozens of coaches at each game during the live evaluation period, so the impact is minimal due to saturation. With the contact, its more personalized if that makes sense, and the constant contact/lack of (if applicable) generates more of an impact based on my interactions.

Very reasonable and, in my view, dead spot on.

It looks to me as if Tillman can shoot. Maybe heā€™s more mid range but he appears able to shoot the three/ and to improve there. I thought Gaines was a pure wing 2/3 guy who just happens to rebound. Also the one clip I found of him he also appeared to be a2/3. Am I wrong in this?

Also on Jaren Jackson - watched him vs. Oakland Soliders/Donnie - donā€™t think there is any question heā€™s one of the most underrated prospects at the 60-100 range (I know that sounds crazy). Heā€™s showing signs of footwork/back to the basket game, and looked really good doing it. If that becomes a consistent part of his game, he is basically unstoppable. The scouting report on him prior to this AAU season was simply be physical with him and heā€™ll fold. Donā€™t know if we can say that anymore, his motor has definitely ramped up in my opinion. He was extremely impressive this weekend.

2 Likes

I thought Jackson was a fore gone conclusion that heā€™s going somewhere else probably east coast. I havenā€™t heard his name in a while or in ours from him.

Jackson said he has legit interest in UM, despite the fact that he ā€˜doesnā€™t hear from them as muchā€™, which kinda supports what Iā€™ve been saying above. Just my opinion, because I havenā€™t spoken to Jaren/his father, but I donā€™t think heā€™s a legit option for UM.

3 Likes

Donnie has really good form, and I think he can be a decent midrange shooter. Iā€™ve seen him take a few 3s, and he looked comfortable IMO. Obviously not going to be a distance shooter in college, but I think there is some midrange potential.

Please donā€™t put words in my mouth ā€“ never said the three 2017 guys with Michigan offers ā€œarenā€™t good enoughā€. Indeed they are good enough. What I did say, in reply to your comment above, was that a ā€œPlan Bā€ approach consisting of NEW targets rated significantly below the current three would be unacceptable, especially compared to what Michiganā€™s Big Ten peers are doing. Now that Young is getting a lot of attention, the wisdom of prioritizing him to the exclusion of all others is starting to look questionable; hence the need to seriously pay attention to Tillman and others of that level BEFORE we strike out. Also, what Matt said about Jaren Jackson isnā€™t encouragingā€¦ if he really is a viable target, they should stay in close contact with him (to the extent possible).

1 Like

No, I fully agree, I think the kids do like the personal interaction more.

I think thereā€™s a certain portion of the top 25 we canā€™t legitimately recruit (and itā€™s probably like 20 of them in any given year). But for those five we can legitimately target, yeah, we have to stay on those kids. I feel like Langford is a recruitment where we just didnā€™t manage it right from a number of angles, though had we kept Battle (and obviously JB did a great job on his campus visit) it would be a non-issue. Still, from that, hopefully JB learned to expect the unexpected and always keep pushing for elite kids you may be able to land.

On Jackson, seems like Georgetown is the team to beat. I think we have as good a shot as anyone else, but itā€™s possible none of the non-Georgetown schools have much of a shot.

OK, thatā€™s fair. If they stepped up their efforts for Tillman now, for example, that makes sense to me.

To that end, itā€™s a little odd they moved the practice camp back. Maybe, at that point, if Cain and Young havenā€™t made a move, then theyā€™ll evaluate some guys in person, do the campus tour that weekend, and extend some offers. Hopefully that wonā€™t be too late. Iā€™d prefer to see that happen in June, though.

Of course in the past, they handed out offers in June but had to slow plays guys a little. For example, Goodin was good enough to offer, though itā€™s clear he was always behind Thornton and Winston on their wish list.