2017 Recruiting Notes

Those are pretty much GRIII numbers, with a bit better shooting from 3 but worse shooting overall. GRIII played the 4 of course. I would think that the plan would be to play Cain at the 3, but it wouldn’t shock me, depending on the roster shook out, if he guards some 4s at some point in his career if he comes to UM.

Sure, in highlights they all go in so it’s a somewhat limited tool. But if you see someone shot a decent percentage and then also that they were taking all types of 3s, that tells you something. And if you see someone shoot a decent percentage but they’re all catch and shoot with nobody around, it’s at least a warning that their shooting numbers might be inflated compared to their true shooting ability.

1 Like

John - I tried to hold it in but I couldn’t lol. You took a jab at me for being wrong about Booker…which is fair enough. But somehow failed to reflect the fact that I’ve spotted players that are criminally under-ranked several times, much like Cain. Damien Jefferson and Devon Daniels come to mind - weren’t even in the databases when I spotted them and brought them to the board’s attention - they were both top 100ish types during their senior year. Also, I’ve been correct about players being over-rated - Zak Irvin and DJ Wilson come to mind (how can anyone forget about my issues here with DJ lol). Also, I was higher on Corey Sanders than just about anyone, and it appears likely he’s a one and done.

The one guy I was wrong about, and was VERY confident in though, was Kam Chatman. I’m still perplexed he isn’t better. All that to say, sure I’ve been wrong, but I’m fairly confident in my evaluation skills. I’m not great, don’t know that anyone is, but I’m adequate.

One is ranked 200 and the other 201. Where did top 100 come from? Or does ish mean give or take 100 spots?

1 Like

I don’t get how Irvin was overrated, he finished his sophomore year 17 6 4 then got injured. Those are damn good numbers. He was absolutely a 5star that played his role very well as a freshman and expanded big time as a sophomore.

2 Likes

According I ESPN, sanders was ranked the 5th best oh in his class, that’s pretty high.

I’m not too high on him yet, he plays on a historically bad team and was allowed to do whatever he wanted whenever he wanted. Shot selection was a huge issue, more of a street ball type guy. I want to see him play in an actual system.

Seriously guys… This is a disagreement for a personal conversation. We all get how both of you feel about Jamal Cain, but don’t really care to have you argue who is somehow better at evaluating talent.

1 Like

It’s my bad. We are beating a dead horse here and we shall discontinue it.

Malik Williams update:

Williams visited Michigan State in February, and his mother wants to get out and take more visits in late May or early June. Williams mentioned recently that he might want to make a commitment on his birthday, Aug. 26, but Gorman said that might not be a realistic timeline.

“It’s a little early,” Gorman said of where Williams is in the process. “I know he’s made comment that he may commit on his birthday, but that may even be a little premature. I think he may narrow it down around August, I’m not sure if he’s going to commit.”

1 Like

I’m sure it is on here somewhere, but does anyone have a link to recent Tillman highlights?

My take on Cain…he is very similar to GR3 and that is a good thing. He doesn’t have the physical strength but he has a lot of the same attributes. I know MattD sees him as a better playmaker than GR3 and I’ll just have to take his word for it. Cain has a full season to further develop his skill and clearly his best ball is front of him. I see him as a high upside guy.

I would love to have both Cain and Young on board for the '17 class.

1 Like

My bad Dylan, just seeing your post - was already in the process of posting when you posted, apparently.

One thing to keep in mind was that GRIII was an incredible finisher around the basket. Not just the dunks, which obviously helped, but GRIII had great body control and touch. He just made everything around the basket and often made it look easier than it was. I’d consider that a ball-skill, and if Cain is comparable to GRIII in that regard it will be a good thing for him and for whatever team he winds up on.

Back on topic - I know some of you probably don’t think of Cain as a playmaker, and quite frankly I can’t blame you because you haven’t seen a lot of evidence of that. Again, he’s not Trey Burke, but he’s better than THJ and GR3 at the same stage. Film below is from Cain as a sophomore. Can’t recall THJ or GR3 ever having ball skills like that.

Look at the 1:25 and 1:45 marks

1 Like

Both guys would be great in the starting lineup with Poole, Simpson, and Wagner. That team could go pretty far.

A class of Poole, Cain, and Young would bring similar optimism that Walton, Zak, and Donnal brought, even with a lower average ranking. Of course, Zak’s class hasnt produced as well as we wouldve hoped, but Poole and co. would really fill positions/skill sets of need.

1 Like

It would be great to get Williams in for a visit per the timeline in the article.

Snow also said he isn’t going to push to move Cain into the top 100.

Doesn’t surprise me, he was last on board with Irvin being top 100, and even did that reluctantly. He’s not one that’s willing to budge at all. BUT, this is also the same service that openly acknowledges they have never seen Jamal play live. Seems ridiculous to think that a recruiting service has already precluded a player from X list without 1) never seeing said recruit play and 2) the summer hasn’t even played out

1 Like