2017 Recruiting Notes

That’s a reach.

2 Likes

MattD has interviewed the Cain’s twice…HE KNOWS! Don’t question him.

:joy:

So the Cain’s are only considering Xavier, Marquette and a couple of mid level programs because only they have offered so far?

Hope all of the high majors get their offers mailed in the next 6 days or else they’re out.

How many MSU commits from their 2013, 2014, and 2015 classes would you take over Cain? It’s not like MSU is Kentucky and has the luxury of ignoring top 100 players in their back yard. If Beilein whiffed on identifying Cain, then Izzo did too.

5 Likes

Sure, so did every other coaching high major D1 programs aside from a handful.

Beilein has played the Cain situation perfectly and is getting in at the right time.

Had a good Jr year, joins top AAU program, has a couple nice weekends proving himself against top competition, takes campus tour a week later, earns offer before 97% of other to D1 programs.

2 Likes

MattD, I was going to ask you what you think of Elliott potentially getting an offer? Best bball is definitely ahead of him and type of kid we need. Couldhe play PG? Thanks

And after he gets his offer, he is waiting until November to make his decision.

I don’t think Greg has PG skills at this point, but as you say, his best ball is definitely in front of him. Greg can do a bit of everything, but isn’t great at anything offensively. His length is a great asset, and he’s probably one of the best rebounding guards in the Midwest. His motor is nonstop, he will play pressure defense for 40 minutes if need be, rebound the ball, and run in transition. Greg is the classic utility guy, just does a bit of everything and his teams always seem to be better when he’s on the court. Will probably need a year to gain strength, so RS is a possibility, but I like Greg because he doesn’t need to dominate the ball in order to be effective. He’s very comfortable playing off ball at 6’4.

Having a fourth ship may help his case, interesting recruitment to watch.

Not one of the 2013-14 4 or 5 star players you mentioned has played up to their recruiting rankings. You are also cherry picking as Irvin and Chatman were not consensus 5 stars and Mo. Was only ranked but one of the services.

On the other hand, if you take the rankings you threw around as good then JB must be a pretty crappy game coach given the results the last couple years.

2 Likes

Appears to be an MSU lock though

1 Like

Seriously some of you guys just can’t help from turning this post into an argument that Beilein is the worst coach ever, the best coach ever, the worst recruiter ever or the best recruiter ever. Please – 2017 recruiting discussion here.

7 Likes

Wow, great. This is the kind of guy we NEED to be looking at. And thankfully, we apparently are… If we’re seriously in play for guys of this caliber, you won’t see me complaining.

Look, it’s real simple.

We have guys on our team who were pretty highly ranked. If you want to take Scout’s rankings, so Irvin and Chatman are more in the 30-50 range, fine. It doesn’t change the analysis any.

I fully agree, these guys are not playing the way they were ranked. I’ve said it a million times.

Yeah, JB must be a really crappy game coach, except that he took a team to the championship game, another to the Elite Eight, and he’s won two Big Ten titles.

How about this - things just haven’t worked out as anticipated with these players? It happens. And again, I have not said the staff is immune from criticism for player evaluations. I’m just saying on paper, we have recruited fine.

1 Like

See Dylan’s notice above.

Matt, is this the first time the staff has looked at Williams? If he’s an MSU lock I wonder why we’d bother checking in – still encouraging that they’re looking at some high profile guys, especially with other schools starting to pursue Cain/Young more aggressively.

Think it’s due diligence as Malik is in Ft Wayne, JB obviously headed to Indy for EYBL so why not

Not the first time that U-M has checked in on Malik WIlliams…

Also, I don’t think JB is just going to hang in Fort Wayne until EYBL starts up in Indianapolis on Saturday :wink: