2017 Recruiting Notes

http://youtu.be/gNu2_f8xWP8 he is a nice athlete which we need in a bad way. He is only in the 11th grade he will get better I saw his last game he was nice I think the pg on the team was getting a look also he is still an underclass man .

Iā€™ve seen some nice film of Cain. I like his game. Iā€™d like to see us get young and Poole and taker a swipe at an elite elite wing or two. Poole is up
There but Iā€™m talking top 25 type kid. Are we currently in on any top wins or tracking any?

I forgot about Bowen. Go steal him from state. With how good a clasd they have plus who was already there Bowen wonā€™t have a ton of minutes atv state. They should bring the negatives in for the kid. State canā€™t give him minutes like us off the rip. Bowen young and Poole would be tight. Or Scruggs young Poole. Cast the wider net like people have said. I want us to look at hamir wright like Iā€™ve said before. Very much like Cain but looks a bit bigger and more consistent.

We havenā€™t even offered Bowen

Those highlights are better. Still would love to watch a whole game against something other than class D competition. His jumper looked better in those highlights including some nice pull up jumpers. Def a good athlete.

Pratt - generally fall on your side of the debates, but I think you might be selling Cain way short here (understandable as youā€™ve only seen limited film and acknowledged he looked better in the recently posted film). Iā€™ve seen Cain in person several timesā€¦heā€™s definitely high major material and would be a great fit at UM from a skill standpoint, and would provide a much needed boost in terms of overall athleticism, rebounding, shot-blocking, perimeter defenseā€¦and just overall motor.

I watched him extensively at the Prep Hoops MI combine, kid measured in at 6ā€™6, 177lbs, 36.5 vertā€¦AS A JUNIOR. He can definitely shoot from distance (see below), in both catch and shoot and off the bounce (better C & S at this point)ā€¦but he is absolutely lethal from mid range coming off screens or off the bounce. He won the midrange competition at the combine by 4-5 shots from the 2nd place finisher. This translated to game situations as well. Cain is not Trey Burke in terms of ballhandling, but heā€™s much further along than Zak Irvin at the same age, has adequate ability to beat a defender off the bounce with change of direction and is a surprisingly good passer off PnR. His upside in relation to Irvin is exponentially higherā€¦just so much more athletic, the game is easy for him.

Extremely impressive starting around the 1:25 mark

3 Likes

Great write up. Iā€™m a guy who loves full game footage when watching a kid. The first video was awful. The second was a lot better. I think he for sure is a D1 kid just want to really see if he is a B1G kid

Like I said I would love to watch him go against other top comp. Class D is a joke in this state

FWIW Iā€™ve also seen Greg Elliott (East English/17) in person several timesā€¦no doubt in my mind Cain is the better prospect with higher upside, but Elliott certainly has some ability. I think Elliott has some potential to be a good defender at the collegiate level with his length and motor, but heā€™s a bit limited in terms of ballhandling/creation ability at this point. Elliott is a pretty decent shooter at this point though.

Iā€™m guessing we havenā€™t offered because he hasnā€™t taken an official or provided transcripts which are prerequesites for an offer under JB. I would not hold my breath

JB himself watching Cain tonight vs Dakota (Jermaine Jackson Jr/ Thomas Kithier). Bacari has generally watched whenever Kithier is playing. Fact that JB is there in person most likely indicates things are getting serious with Cainā€¦probably close to an offer if JB likes what he sees.

Iā€™ve personally seen Cain on campus no less than 3 times, so the interest is mutualā€¦although Xavier is strong as well. Weā€™ve seen what Detroit players do at Xavier. Letā€™s not let Cain slip awayā€¦

2 Likes

I think if UM is serious, they get him.

MattD, do you know if JB is still looking at Jackson? How does he look these days? I remember liking his footage ā€“ crafty floor general with a nice handle ā€“ but havenā€™t really kept up.

Donā€™t have a clue to be honestā€¦will say that I prefer Jermaine to Jarrod West. A name that probably nobody is familiar with in the local area that I think would be a great backup PG in 17ā€¦Amauri Hardy from North Farmington. Donā€™t really see a need for a backup PG in 17, but if so I think Hardy deserves a look.

I saw JB at one of Cainā€™s games last week too, Matt. He is getting serious if he is out there a 2nd time in as many weeks.

We will have one PG in '17ā€¦

How is there not a need for one?

Can Jordan Poole play pg?

247 has him listed as SG/PG, but the game I watched he looked like a straight SG.

The #1 priority IMO for this roster HAS to be 3/4 that can generate points in the paint via baseline finishes, straight post ups, or dribble penetration AND sufficiently defend either the post or perimeterā€¦that is no doubt the weakest point of the roster (considering we are certainly not going to get another 5, as we already have a logjam).

Based on that need, my recruiting board reads Kyle Young and Jamal Cain as the #1 priorities without question (no particular order). A guy that UM has shown some prelim interest in that most havenā€™t heard about is Terrence Lewis (17/Milwaukee Riverside/AAU with Poole) - think less athletic, but better shooting GR3 (he is an above average athlete that rebounds well and is a good shooter in catch and shoot scenarios). I like Young and Cain more, but Lewis is certainly an upper tier talent IMO.

The #2 priority IMO for this roster has to be a dynamic playmaking 2/3 with above average athleticismā€¦we sorely need a guy that can breakdown a defense off the dribble and finish at the rim and generate good looks for others.

MAAR can fill the need at backup PG for 17 (he may start at PG but not likely), and Poole can bring the ball up in a pinch (agree with Hail that he is a SG though). When Poole becomes a sophomore he will be proficient enough to give us 5-6 mins a game giving X a blowā€¦we can get by IMO until 18.

1 Like

Do you think Young and Cain are upper-tier B10 prospects? If so, do you think they are instant impact players?

It looks to me that Cain and Watson are the same player. Iā€™m hoping beilein isnā€™t planning on playing them at the 4 due to how worn down Irvin is gettin this year and he is stronger than both of them. We need a 220+Lb guy to play the four. These taller but smaller 2/3s canā€™t keep being forced to guard guys like swanigan/carter/#3 on Indiana and be able to be consistent on offense. Gr3 could handle it because he was strong, these guys are pretty skinny. Young would be a great fit I think. Big time guys at the wing donā€™t want to play the 4 and have to be that physical. Cal tried that with brown and he wasnā€™t playing well, then they started that 7 footer rooks and put Rabb at the 4 and brown at the 3 and he took off. No doubt in my mind thatā€™s a reason we canā€™t land top tier wings.

1 Like