2017 Recruiting Notes

Another thing to consider here… Illinois signed Kipper Nichols in 2016. Illini had been watching Maishe Dailey as a potential 2016 kid… could mean a much better chance that he still reclassifies to 2017 as has been discussed. I know Wisconsin was also in the mix as a 2016.

Heck, if he signs late even Michigan could get in the mix as a 2016 depending on how the chips fall.

And they will fall imo. I’m hoping we go after Daily for '16.

Looks like some Michigan commits were in action today against each other. Jordan Poole, Ibi Watson, and Xavier Simposn

@HWBDHoops: Headed to Lima Senior for a 12 team scrimmage feat. Pick Central, Akron St. V, Springfield, Massillon Jackson and more.

@HWBDHoops: Two out of state teams making the trek to Ohio are Rufus King (WI) and Detroit East (Michigan).

@HWBDHoops: '17 Rufus King HS G Jordan Poole is a straight shooter. He’s out here playing against his fellow michigan commits Ibi Watson and X Simpson

@HWBDHoops: Michigan Commit Jordan Poole resembled D’Angelo Russell in the way that he handled the rock & lead his team today. Special player.

Here’s a video of Ibi at what seems to be his high school basketball pep rally. Looks like the kids has some hops.

1 Like

Here is the video from the scrimmage that featured Watson, Poole, and Simpson.

1 Like

Gosh I hope Poole signs early. That kid is going to be a star and he will have the big boys calling very soon. Gonna be interesting to see if he gets a wandering eye.

Love the way Simpson plays - tough, great handle, passing, quick.

Nice passing and shooting from all three. Perhaps the most encouraging thing is Simpson’s unexpected athleticism – the dunk and the sick block where he leaped over a teammate’s head.

1 Like

Really nice video of all three commits. Poole has range to his shot. Simpson more vertical than I thought. Watson helping to facilitate more than I expected.

So you think there might be an open ship for a wing come the spring even with us currently oversigned?

Yea, I could see there being room for a wing in the spring, after the season.

Thanks, we are going to need someone to replace Lavert’s ability to create off the dribble. Don’t think you get that in the late signing period so going to need a couple of guys to step up next year.

2017 PF PJ Washington, top-25 kid.

Man one can dream of this guy actually picking us. Exact type of 4 we need, has a motor and expanding ball skills.

Brian Bowen update
http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/593696?referrer_id=

The Michigan native has only taken two visits thus far, but this should change soon.

“I’ve only taken visits to Michigan and Michigan State so far,” he said. “Coaches want me to get down to their campus so I’m definitely going to plan some visits soon.”

UCLA, Texas, Michigan State, Louisville, Florida State and many more have offered him, but two schools have pushed the hardest with his recruitment. The rest of the schools on him as starting to even this out as the process has progressed.

“There is not one specific school, but of course my home school is Michigan and Michigan State and they try and push the hardest,” Bowen said. “Pretty much every school has the same interest in me. All of them want me to go in and be a good guy on their program.”

It was once thought that he favored Michigan State only, but Bowen says his recruitment is still wide open even though he likes the Spartans.

“I think it really does, a lot of schools tell me ‘I thought you were one hundred percent Michigan State?’ and I’m really not,” he said. “I’m an open recruitment guy, I think Michigan State a lot, but I’m an open recruitment guy.”

he will be a Sparty if they really want him.

Agree - though I do think our system would be better for him. He’s not the same mold as a Dawson/Bridges type 4. I think we would use him well at the 4 spot.

Any news of any other kids leaning our way? I really like young. Might prefer him to Jackson which might sound crazy.anyone got any visits coming up?

wonder if Beilein would recruit Shaq’s son, Shareef, a 2018 PF, with an inside outside game that fits nicely.