2017 Recruiting Notes

I’m sure we’ve offered Poole now after his weekend visit right? First 17 offer?

Bailey and Poole offered http://www.umhoops.com/2015/09/27/michigan-offers-brendan-bailey-jordan-poole/

Did they just show Poole a highlight reel of Stauskas? Watched a highlight reel of Poole and that’s who immediately came to mind for me. Has a smooth game, can dribble, pass and shoot. Plus he seems to have that swagger Stauskas has.

Figured this would be worth passing along. FWIW I’m a fan of his game.

After extending and offer during a Saturday visit, #Michigan is tied at the top for 2017 G Jordan Poole http://t.co/DbNFnWaefK

— Garrett Fishaw (@MGoFish) September 27, 2015

http://mgofish.com/2017-sg-jordan-poole-lands-his-michigan-offer/

Figured this would be worth passing along. FWIW I'm a fan of his game.

After extending and offer during a Saturday visit, #Michigan is tied at the top for 2017 G Jordan Poole http://t.co/DbNFnWaefK

I clicked the link and it says Michigan is tied with Illinois. Hopefully he feels honored getting the first Michigan offer in the class. I wonder how long his recruitment will go. Seems like he would be a great roster fit with his size and skill set.

Figured this would be worth passing along. FWIW I'm a fan of his game.

I clicked the link and it says Michigan is tied with Illinois. Hopefully he feels honored getting the first Michigan offer in the class. I wonder how long his recruitment will go. Seems like he would be a great roster fit with his size and skill set.

When the opposition isn’t OSU or MSU for a recruit seemingly looking to stay in the B1G footprint, I tend to get slightly more optimistic. I haven’t seen enough film to really say much, but like what I’ve seen and think with his size he fits a good position as a 1-2 hybrid player.

Going back to my comment about Poole being a great roster fit for this class, it looks, at least now, that the biggest hole on the roster is for someone to fill minutes at the 1 and 2. SO Simpson and SR Abdur-Rahkman could make a very good starting backcourt, but there are definitely minutes to be had there, and he could challenge both for playing time. We don’t know if likely RS-FR Watson will be at the right level to contribute on a B1G contender. Then the following year, there will be a lot of minutes up for grabs with Abdur-Rahkman gone…Poole could be a starter his sophomore year.

It is possible that Robinson, Dawkins, or Chatman could develop into a 2, but I wouldn’t put money on any of them, and none would really be able to help at the 1, unless Chatman really kicks it up a notch.

Bottom line, we’ll need someone who can create with the dribble. I’m not sure who on the roster, other than Simpson, would be able to do that.

After Poole, you probably want the best available kid other than a 5, but ideally, another player who can handle the ball and shoot. Usually I’m all for getting elite one-and-done talent because it really helps in the quest for a national championship, but in this case I think we want someone in the 25-100 range who will be around for at least their sophomore year because the following year we’ll probably need an influx of talent.

Of course the great unknown is attrition and we’ll probably add a kid late in '16 and/or '17 who might be able to contribute in '18.

I find Poole’s game a bit underwhelming at the moment.
Having said this, I expect Poole to become a very good player if he opts to play for M. I expect this to be a case where Coach John Beilein’s ability to recognize talent to be proven true once again.

Maybe MattD could share some scouting insights on Poole’s game. Looks pretty smooth overall but with limited athleticism and more of a below-the-rim player than Watson. Not sure from the footage whether he’s a lights-out shooter.

No such doubts about Bailey… want big time.

Going back to my comment about Poole being a great roster fit for this class, it looks, at least now, that the biggest hole on the roster is for someone to fill minutes at the 1 and 2. SO Simpson and SR Abdur-Rahkman could make a very good starting backcourt, but there are definitely minutes to be had there, and he could challenge both for playing time. We don't know if likely RS-FR Watson will be at the right level to contribute on a B1G contender. Then the following year, there will be a lot of minutes up for grabs with Abdur-Rahkman gone...Poole could be a starter his sophomore year.

It is possible that Robinson, Dawkins, or Chatman could develop into a 2, but I wouldn’t put money on any of them, and none would really be able to help at the 1, unless Chatman really kicks it up a notch.

Bottom line, we’ll need someone who can create with the dribble. I’m not sure who on the roster, other than Simpson, would be able to do that.

After Poole, you probably want the best available kid other than a 5, but ideally, another player who can handle the ball and shoot. Usually I’m all for getting elite one-and-done talent because it really helps in the quest for a national championship, but in this case I think we want someone in the 25-100 range who will be around for at least their sophomore year because the following year we’ll probably need an influx of talent.

Of course the great unknown is attrition and we’ll probably add a kid late in '16 and/or '17 who might be able to contribute in '18.

We have needed another guard that can create for others for several recruiting classes now and still can’t manage to get that spot filled with a high upside player. Maybe Rahk or Ibi can provide high upside in that role but I have my doubts.

Its frankly bizarre that more top 50 guards aren’t clamoring to fill that role after the successes of Trey and Nik, but such is life. Lets just hope we can continue to uncover the Caris’s of the world.

From what I’ve seen, I think Poole is a very good shooter. Definitely a strength/something a defender needs to be worried about. Not sure if he’s “lights-out”, but I found one stat - as of 2/9/15, he was shooting 49-121 (40.5%) from three as a sophomore in HS. Definitely solid. Agree that he is a below-the-rim player. I’m guessing there’s decent hope that as he matures he can work on his leaping. But he does seem to have good body control, has a nice cross-over dribble, can get from point A to point B pretty quickly. He has good vision and can make some nice passes. Kind of reminds me a little of a young Devin Booker. So we’ll see if he follows the same development path.

IMO I see Walter Ray in Poole’s game.

Not sure if I’ve mentioned this here, but Maishe Dailey (2016 guard from Beachwood) is prepping after his senior year and is going to be a 2017 kid. He took an unofficial to Michigan a couple weeks back and he caught U-M’s interest late in the summer playing with Ibi Watson.

Any video on Dailey? I’ve seen a couple clips but nothing of substance.

Right here:

Thanks Dylan.

Wait, how is this kid not being recruited by anyone? 6’6 kid with a shot like that? I feel like I’m talking about Dawkins all over again minus the elite athleticism. Dailey can play. Like his tools.

Actually, his athleticism looks pretty good. Here I was expecting some scrappy kid with a heart of gold and zero elevation (in which case, would not want) but he seems to get above the rim with ease. Interesting prospect.

I agree. Did not mean to imply he doesn’t have any athleticism, just not Dawkins level. Love the quick release, seems to have a good first step. Thinks my maybe the aggressiveness and or consistency may be lacking…? His other vids in hurdl show his supposed highlights each game. Am I to assume he only goes for 5-10 pts a game? Only about 2-4 highlights per game…
Anyone have his season stats?

He’s had some injuries… Broke his wrist in April, stress fracture in his foot in February and returned for the playoffs to lead his team in scoring in run to district final. Pretty sure he led Beachwood in scoring last year but don’t have an exact number.

Dailey looks great!