2017 Recruiting Notes

I actually like Smith over Cain. Quicker, really nice finisher, plus athlete. Latest film seems to show improved three point stroke.

4 Likes

I notice that Cain has dropped to 190 in the 247 composite rankings. No new offers. Is he blowing his chance with Michigan?

1 Like

Dropped to 190? I thought he was in the 200s last time I checked.

Actually, heā€™s 195, having dropped from 165.

Hmm, I wonder what made him fall. From all account Iā€™ve seen heā€™s having a great summerā€¦ I agree with you 100% with the Smith over Cain take but I still think Cain is a top 100 type player.

Cain had 33 and 10 last night and 24 today

Sometimes players drop in the rankings, not because their play has fallen off, but because others have improved.

It could also be that The Family has missed a couple of the higher level tournaments this summer. Iā€™m pretty sure they werenā€™t at the actual Peach Jam, but a secondary tournament. Most of the scouting services attend the higher-level tournaments since more prospects are there.

From a UM standpoint this is a best case scenario. Cainā€™s play has been impressive, yet he has remained below the radar. Other than a commitment, I donā€™t think we could have hoped for more.

@Champions Except itā€™s pretty clear that heā€™s improved too, and any scouting would show heā€™s several levels ahead of many of the guys in front of himā€¦

There arenā€™t enough ā€œscoutsā€ to properly rank these guys. Usually the top 20 is clear and then it could potentially be a free for all. Itā€™s clear, like drafting a QB in the NFL, itā€™s not an exact science.

https://twitter.com/endless_motor/status/756964307779235840

Sounds like we have offered livers. @MattD confirm?

Michigan St just did though. I will put the o/u on acceptance a week.

Is MSU offering everybody, or just the guys that Beilein is watching?

Well they knew Livers was a guy that could commit right away with an offer. He isnā€™t a no brainer offer. I am not surprised they waited through July to see if they liked anyone better.

They had to put up or shut up with all the expecting an M offer in early August quotes Livers has been throwing out. Livers hasnā€™t been getting a ton of HM love as of yet. No telling how he would have reacted to an M offer.

Thatā€™s likely the case and it is a little frustrating - I think he would be a good fit at the 4 for us. However, that likely takes them out of the Kyle Young running and opens the door a bit more for Donnie Tillman. I would really like to see the staff get a guy who can play O and D at the 4 spot like Tillman, Young, Livers ect.

1 Like

I like Justin Smith a lot. He may be more of a combo than a 4. I would imagine he would play a good deal of 4 if they ended up pairing him with a Cain or a Kimani Lawrence. They donā€™t seem to be heavily in on Lawrence but have tracked him a little bit. Ideally they would pair Smith with Tillman or Young though.

You have a link? I havenā€™t seen any reports, though it was added to verbalcommits today.

Found this on the msu 247 board. http://michiganstate.247sports.com/Board/93/Contents/V4MSU-Recruiting-News--37210154?Page=881

MattDā€™s runs a website called endless motorsports. The twitter account he runs forntge website tweeted it out. He wasat the event Livers was at so I assume he talked to him.