2017 Recruiting Notes

VI don’t know what to think of Eli Brooks. Very strange release (especially on runners), seems to play well below the rim; very Spike like. But… I really enjoyed the way he plays, def will be a fan fav wherever he ends up. Listed as 6’1" which I would give 4 fakes out of 5.

Seems he’s dreaming of a Villinova offer.

Brooks can dunk. I doubted he could after watching previous video.

Beilein and Jay Wright both watching Brooks this morning. Here’s a scouting report from COBL:
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/eli-brooks

Strengths: In his area, Brooks is known as a scorer, putting up over 20ppg for Spring Grove High School as a junior. However, his biggest strength is his ability to run a team. Brooks plays the game at a great pace. He never allows the defense to speed him up, and makes his teammates better every time he touches the floor. His jump shot has continued to improve and he his now knocking down outside shots on a consistent basis.

Weaknesses: One concern for Brooks heading into the summer will be his lateral quickness. During the high school season he is not challenged to defend on a consistent basis; it will be interesting to see during the AAU season how he keeps more athletic guards in front of him.

Overall: Though he might be relatively unknown in the Philadelphia region, Brooks is one of the better college prospects in the state. He has great size for the point guard position. His court awareness and IQ jump out to you right away when watching him. These skills could allow his transition to the college game much easier. With a big summer, Brooks could see a fairly significant jump in his recruitment.

Last Updated: April 11, 2016

2 Likes

Brad Davison to Wisconsin. Hopefully Eastern gets offered soon

1 Like

New offer for Livers

Sounds like a good night for Justin Smith
http://ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3547

One of the highest upside players in the class of 2017, Smith is a treat to watch. The 6-foot-7 wing has some scary athleticism and seems like he floats in the air forever when he takes off. Smith is working on his outside game, but did knock down two triples in Wednesday’s win over Team Bradley NW Panthers. An exciting transition player, Smith loves to get out and run and his teammates love feeding him the ball on the go. Smith missed a couple of shots around the rim he usually converts, but still finished with a team-high 22 points.

https://twitter.com/Evan_Flood/status/753416381148893184

More Justin Smith

Nova thought to be his ‘dream school’ and was also following him closely.

In regards to Isiah Livers who Sam Webb reports is expecting a scholarship offer the first week of August would he even take up a scholarship? If he’s from Kalamazoo I believe he would qualify for the free tuition program, no? Does anyone else know more about that situation?

Free tuition still leaves room, board, books and possibly fees which cost between $10,000 and $15,000 per year. The Kalamazoo Promise is a great thing, but it isn’t a substitute for a full and complete ride for someone who is going offers like the ones Livers to get.

3 Likes

For a guy like Livers, the Promise doesn’t make sense since he clearly could get a full ride (including room and board) by taking an athletic scholarship. The Promise also would limit him to in-state schools.

The Promise is more likely to benefit the football team (here and at MSU) with walkons who might otherwise go to a smaller school.

1 Like

We had a walk-on from Kzoo a few years ago who had MAC offers and took advantage of the Promise. As MHoops says, only tuition is covered so it does not help us with scholarship athletes.

1 Like

Looks like the board for the PG/combo spot needs to expand with Davison committing and Brooks more of a long-shot now. I’m not sure who else they are looking at besides Eastern.

They need to get eastern. I think senior year maar could run some but that’s not ideal. I wonder if Dawson’s really solid on ok st. They def need to get some more targets or really push eastern. Jackson has to be an option the further in we go though I’d assume.

Is anyone worried about Cain? I kinda thought he’d be the first one to commit, but I wonder about Mathews scaring him off. Let’s just hope eastern and his mom see the light. If anyone will turn him pro in the big ten its coach b. Like it was posted before too, he could possibly start depending how he develops. Something tells me though that x won’t let it happen

Pretty sure MattD always said that Cain would probably take his visits before committing somewhere. I think Cain has enough positional versatility that he shouldn’t be worried about who’s ahead of him. I think he’d inevitably play some 4 at Michigan, even though he’s rail thin right now. But he’s 3 and could play the 2 if his handles continue to improve. Matthews could play the 2 or the 3 as well. Poole is a 2 that could play 1 in a pinch.

Evan Daniels reporting Brooks committed to us?

3 Likes

Hmmmm. Not sure how I feel about this one. All I’ve seen are his (lack of) rankings. Can anyone here who’s seen him give a little bit of info on his play style?

Not high on this guy either. But if he’s the backup for three years, why not.

I think his ability to shoot and make plays off the ball screen make him a better fit than the kid from Buffalo.