2017 Recruiting Notes

Isaiah Livers supposed to visit today.

Matt, couple questions for you. Any idea on Cainā€™s timeline for a potential decision? He would look great besides Matthews, just hope his commitment does push him away.

Second, any chance you will be talking with Livers about his visit? Thanks

No offer for Livers, but I like his game. Wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him get an offer early on in July now that heā€™s made his visit.

Have to say I like his highlights and think that he would be a good fit in JBs offense as a floor-stretching 4. As long as he is athletic enough to defend 4s in the B1G I think he would be a solid pickup. It would be good to have a guy like this on the floor the same time as a slasher like Matthews who canā€™t really shoot from outside.

Now would he fit in the same recruiting class as Jamal Cain? Honestly Cain looks more like a 3 to me, but I know Brian Snow from scout thinks heā€™s a stretch 4.

Michigan is recruiting so many 4/3 or 3/4 type of wingsā€¦ Will be really interesting to see how things shake out.

I like Livers on film and like love that he can hit shots from all three levels.

I think Iā€™d be up for taking two guys from that group (Jackson, Cain, Young, Livers, Smith, etc.) and just figuring out how they fit later.

I agree with one caveatā€“I donā€™t know that Iā€™d include Smith in that group. I saw him live a few weeks ago and liked him, but heā€™s very, very similar to Matthews except worse-- Matthews is better defensively, has a higher motor, and handles better. They seem very duplicative to me. The others (and Iā€™d obviously include Wilkes in that group)ā€“Iā€™d take 2 in a minute and work things out later.

2 Likes

That girl in front of you is a big Livers fan apparently. She also felt bad about getting in your shot lol.

1 Like

Smith has been a frequent topic in here. Here are NBPA Top 100 highlights

I like most of the names flying around at the four. Those highlights of livers and young were promising. Iā€™m a huge fan of livers although most his highlights are outside shooting. He seems to be athletic too in his few flushes. Hope we add Tillman into the mix. Even smith would be a solid get. You said livers rebounds well right Dylan? Between young , livers, Tillman, Jackson,smith, and Williams if we can just add one of them we should be good to go. Particularly if we can convince Cain who as a three, could be a combo 3 who can board. Dylan what do you believe the odds are that our 4 is in that list?

Any news besides Davison on a point/ combo guard? Still canā€™t believe Dawson committed so early to ok st of all places. Iā€™d love to hear who else the staff likes.

Hearing that Jermaine Jackson Jr. had 12 triples at UM this afternoon in front of Coach B! 40 point outing for @CaptainJack15 #DogFood

Seems like nobody is covering the elite camp. I found a couple tweets after Chez posted that one from a guy that was there: There are several other tweets but these most relevant for the 17s.

Jeff McKinney ā€@McKinneysWorld 22h22 hours ago
Clutch much? 2017 PG Jermaine Jackson Jr 2nd buzzer beater today in two OTā€™s vs. EEVP @CaptainJack15

Jeff McKinney ā€@McKinneysWorld 22h22 hours ago
Kithier waking up in this one, Greg Elliott Mr. Everything for EEVP in the 2nd half. Jumpshots, putbacks, defense!

Jeff McKinney ā€@McKinneysWorld 23h23 hours ago
Jermaine Jackson Jr. & David Dejulius trading baskets. Entire Michigan staff in attendance. Good one between Dakota and EEVP.

Jeff McKinney ā€@McKinneysWorld Jun 25
2017 SG Greg Elliott playing super hard in front of Coach Beilein at UM Team Camp. Just caught an oop & ran blocked a shot on the other end!

2 Likes

It was team camp, not elite camp (which is in August). That means kids are there with their HS teams, not invited individually and that it is just a bunch of games featuring HS teams, not drills and then camp teams.

We werenā€™t able to get someone up there, but the big names in attendance were Brandon Johns (2018 offer), Justin Smith (2017), Kyle Young (2017 offer, not playing due to injury), Kevin Easley (2018), Thomas Kitheir (2018) and Jermaine Jackson (2017).

3 Likes

Brad Davison has been on a visit tour (Dayton, Butler, official to Stanford). And has been adding offers along the way.

As I mentioned earlier, I think Wisconsin is putting some pressure on him to try to speed up his recruitment.

Ann Arbor trip this week. http://forum.umhoops.com/t/past-and-upcoming-visits/

In other news ā€“ and Iā€™m not sure why @MattD didnā€™t just post this here himself ā€“ Michigan showing some interest in Donnie Tillman.

1 Like

Good to see the staff targeting some other guys at the 4 (Livers, Tillman) since Young may be a tough pull out of Ohio. Also, Dylan isnā€™t Jackson Jr a 17? Wonder if he is under consideration for that guard spot the staff is working on.

2 Likes

Yes, JJ is a 2017. He could definitely be a backup PG option. Not sure when and if that would come to be though. Heā€™s been on the radar forever obviously and has been around camps, etc. for the last three years. Can flat out play, but size is the issue.

I am a huge fan of Kimani Lawrence, I hope the interest is mutual going forward. Love what this kid could bring to the program.

1 Like

Any guesses on who gets the next offer?

Not sure if it has been mentioned but Kimani Lawrence has said he is trying to plan a visit to Michigan. Really hope he gets one if he does make the visit then hope Eastern makes a visit as well.

Not sure there will be any more 2017 offers before July.

I think theyā€™ll watch guys like Livers, Tillman, etc. closely throughout the live period.

That gives the current crop of guys with offers something of a soft deadline (early August) to potentially commit before other offers might be extended to more names on the board.