2017 Recruiting Notes

For context, Hoopseen has Jamal Cain at #60. And I can confirm that Corey Evans from Hoopseen evaluated Cain live on more than one occasion in Atlanta. In other words - he saw the same thing I did and basically slotted him in the same range that I’ve said fits all along

Actually, Cain is now #137 to Scout. Prior to today Jamal was a generic 3 star SF with no position ranking. Today he is #137 and the #24 PF. I can confirm that Brian Snow evaluated Jamal live at Spiece.

http://www.scout.com/player/203604-jamal-cain

Oh alright. The link I saw that was posted on Twitter was the top 100 and everyone else it says NR. That’s good to know though. Lower than I would place him but I could see why.

Where do I find the rankings beyond 100?

I knew you were obsessed with shooting lol. You looked at the 3% and latest highlights I posted and it seems you’ve come around on Jamal a bit

You guys think JB offers Wilkes this weekend, or does he try to get him to do an official first as per his standard operating procedure?

Snow said that they seem him as a stretch 4 because of a lack of handle. It is a shame he isn’t able to showcase what he can do with the ball with his current roster. He definitely has more of a playmaker role on his high school squad

Seems Scout is still updating - Cain now #22 PF and 1 spot away from 4 star status
http://www.scout.com/player/203604-jamal-cain?s=75

He isn’t a pf though, I wonder where they’d put him at sf?

1 Like

Also, I’ve been saying it all along but Greg Elliott has played really well on the EYBL circuit. I know most don’t think much of him but he’s now a 4star/#126 player per Scout

http://www.scout.com/player/207934-greg-elliott?s=75

Is he forced to handle the ball more on his high school team due to lack of other options?

Nope, his HS team is extremely small. When he’s in camp settings is where Jamal has more opportunity to highlight his handle and ball skills.

Do you know the reason as to why he doesn’t do much ball handling in the eybl?

Very simple - small team and no adequate 4 man. The drop off from Jamal to the reserve at the 4 is steep

Oh alright. Fair enough. I don’t see him as a four on any college team due to his skinny frame. Do you agree with that? Irvin is 215 and that’s 30+ lbs more than Jamal and he has trouble at the four.

Nothing about official visits being required for an offer. It is a full visit with academic tour – can be official or unofficial – which I’d suspect this would be.

1 Like

No doubt about it, Dylan thinks he’s more of a 4 - he and I go back and forth a bit about that. No way in hell is he a 4 IMO, that’s a disservice to Jamal physically and in terms of skill IMO. Jamal will be a better perimeter defender than Zak in college based on better lateral agility and quick twitch movement IMO.

1 Like

Interesting that Justin Smith checked in at No. 76 as well.

Not to speak for others, but I’m not sure that many think Cain is a 4 necessarily. There’s been talk that he would fit very nicely into the GRIII role offensively – shooting threes, finishing at the rim, elbow jumpers – and that anything more would be a (very welcome) bonus, but that could be from the three too. I and others have also noted that depending on roster composition and how opposing teams play, with his height and athleticism he could provide flexibility to defend the 4 at times if he adds strength (at UM or elsewhere). He doesn’t look that skinny, but I’m just going off some video, so maybe he’s more slight than he appears to me. In any case, I think he’d be a great guy to have out there to allow switching 1 through 4.

New film on Donnie Tillman vs elite comp at the Pangos AA camp. Everybody has an opinion, but if you think Kyle Young is superior to Donnie, well, that opinion is just wrong lol. I’ve seen Donnie knock down jumpshots off the bounce with regularity, I just haven’t said it because I didn’t have film to back it up. Well, here’s your proof in an elite setting. I continue to say it, his ballskills are just absolutely insane. He literally has PG skills at 6’7 and 225 lbs. His combination of size, skill, athleticism, and motor is just crazy. The versatility at that size is unreal. Now that Jamal has climbed up the rankings, no doubt in my mind Tillman is the most underrated prospect in the country. How can ANYONE look at this film and not see a top 100 player?

1 Like