2017 Recruiting Notes

You do realize this was a satirical article written on a Michigan blog, yes? It’s apropos of exactly zero as it relates to 2017 recruiting. Or do you disagree?

Wasn't quite expecting that for 2017, especially after our 2016 bad luck up to now... We shall see what really happens. But I'm liking how people are viewing our great program and University now.

In an unprecedented conference call today, the entire 247 Top 50 of the 2017 men’s basketball recruiting class announced that Michigan would finish second in its recruitment. Speaking for the group, power forward Wendell Carter, Jr. of Atlanta said that Michigan combined “top-flight academics, player development, and recent success” to make it the consensus runner up for the entire Top 50.

“When you look at what they’ve done with guys like Trey Burke, Darius Morris, and Tim Hardaway, you know this is the place you want to very nearly go to school,” said point guard Trevon Duval of Newark, New Jersey. “I mean, in theory, they could take a guy like me and make me a top five pick.”

Today’s announcement came after the players met at various camps and realized they all held Michigan in equal esteem. Shooting Guard D.J. Harvey of Hyattsville, Maryland explained how it happened: “We all got to texting and realized, hey, Michigan and Coach Beilein have sent seven guys to the NBA despite having no McDonald’s All-Americans. And it’s a near-Ivy League school too! Who wouldn’t want to strongly consider going there but then pick someone else? We decided we might as well get some of this recruiting craziness over with and announce today that Michigan will be our No. 2.”

When asked for more detail about how they came to almost choose Michigan, players pointed to the academic support provided on campus in Ann Arbor, the “offensive genius” of John Beilein, and even the recent addition of Nike as Michigan’s team apparel provider. A number of parents of the players, who were also available for interviews, said they trusted the integrity of the Michigan coaching staff more than any other staff they had encountered. Said one parent: “Their trustworthiness is a real selling point. I have no problem with my son using Michigan as a back-up.”

When pressed as to why they didn’t want to commit to Michigan, recruits mentioned the recent national success of teams like Duke, the NBA draft success of players from places like Kentucky, the cold weather in Ann Arbor, and in the case of one player, “I just threw a dart at a board, and it hit ‘Gonzaga.’” A handful of players also referenced jobs their parents recently obtained on the campuses of other schools, “transportation alternatives” that were not available at Michigan, and the apparent fact that there are many more lost wallets filled with $100 bills that no one ever claims on some campuses than there are in Ann Arbor.

Please tell me that you did not really read or post this as being serious or that you believed it.

Not sure if this has been posted already, but a short clip showing Beilein and Jordan watching (presumably) Christian David’s Canadian team at the Nike Global Challenge. I gather that David had an OK if unspectacular tournament against the likes of Bridges and Winston. You can see Coach K in the crowd though I’m not sure who he was watching. Particularly satisfying is a nasty block on MSU commit Nick Ward by Eddie Ekiyor (who looks like a slightly poor man’s Aaron Gordon).

Michigan in to see Jaren Jackson & Kobe Webster yesterday
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting-central/2015/09/09/college-basketball-recruiting-period-opens-wednesday-look--where-schools---see-prospects/71931200/

Sign me up for Jordan Poole of '17.

Michigan, Butler, UCLA, Ohio State all in to view 6'8 F Kris Wilkes at North Central HS thur 9/10. Go Indy Hoosiers

— UA Indy Hoosiers (@Indyhoosiersbba) September 10, 2015

Michigan, Butler, St Louis and IUPUI all in to see 2017 6'6 F Zach Gunn- Indy Hoosiers at HSE today. Underrated Gunn has Iowa in next week.

— UA Indy Hoosiers (@Indyhoosiersbba) September 10, 2015

Seems like a wing of some sort is in the cards for 2017.

Seems like a wing of some sort is in the cards for 2017.

Definitely agree. It doesn’t look like we will have a ton of room for many recruits at that point either which means that hopefully we can commit to spending a lot of time and attention on an elite type recruit without divided attention

Presumably watching Brian Bowen

Head coaches from Texas, Michigan, Purdue, Michigan State, Toledo, Loyola, Vanderbilt & Illinois have been by @LaLuBasketball past 2 days

— Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) September 10, 2015

Jaron Faulds took another unofficial to UM yesterday. He finished the day by taking another unofficial to MSU. Pretty obvious he’s waiting for an offer from one of the instate high majors. Personally think he prefers UM because he’s more of a finesse big.

Jaron Faulds took another unofficial to UM yesterday. He finished the day by taking another unofficial to MSU. Pretty obvious he's waiting for an offer from one of the instate high majors. Personally think he prefers UM because he's more of a finesse big.

Please no. Way to many big men

Jaron Faulds took another unofficial to UM yesterday. He finished the day by taking another unofficial to MSU. Pretty obvious he's waiting for an offer from one of the instate high majors. Personally think he prefers UM because he's more of a finesse big.

Since he’s '17, I’d expect that there would have to be some attrition in the spring before he gets an offer - if he gets one.

Well that’s different, people concerned of Michigan has too many big men

High character super bright kid. Has a 3.95 GPA. Seen him twice last year and will be interested to see how he has grown into his body after a summer of playing up a grade. He’s a project for sure, but who knows where he ends up at in two years.

Michigan head coach John Beilein will be in to see 2017 4-star SF Greg Floyd today per Floyd’s summer coach @LamarBigs

— Eric Bossi (@ebosshoops) September 14, 2015

High character super bright kid. Has a 3.95 GPA. Seen him twice last year and will be interested to see how he has grown into his body after a summer of playing up a grade. He’s a project for sure, but who knows where he ends up at in two years.

There’s photo on twitter of Faulds with Beilein on Saturday. The caption says that he’s 6’11". I believe that his dad is 6’11" and played college ball.

Beilein out west today…

Really appreciate Coach Beilein from Michigan stopping by our 6am @findlayprep practice this morning.

— Andy Johnson (@CoachAJohnson) September 14, 2015

Do we know who he’s watching there? In any case, I’m glad he’s checking out the talent at elite basketball factories like Findlay.

There’s photo on twitter of Faulds with Beilein on Saturday. The caption says that he’s 6’11". I believe that his dad is 6’11" and played college ball.

Definitely someone to keep monitoring. Grew up a huge Sparty fan, and will likely go there if offered. One thing about JB, he’s not afraid to recruit the kids with strong ties and leans to MSU… Bowen, Johns, and Faulds.

Michigan watched Trae Young today